Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You guys can always stand between the two train cars and hold the Pre as high as possible duh. Here is a big question what are your settings Sprint only or roaming is enable. -
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    It's a huge, amazing system, but hasn't received the support over the years that systems in capital cities (think London, Paris, Moscow) have, so maintenance is always a catch-up. There are lots of new cars, and more on the way, but stations are lagging behind. Hopefully, a new capital plan, which must be approved by the State Legislature, will allow us to move forward in a way that New Yorkers and our millions of visitors deserve. Hey - how about a discount for Pre, Treo & Centro owners?!
    "Lots of new cars"
    Ever been on the A C E lines? Disgusting, and are usually the lines I am stuck taking. However the cars on other lines, 4 5 6 and some 7's are rather nice. But like you said, something has to be done to upgrade the stations, they are NASTY. Also, is the MTA still working on the plan to wire up the stations for cell service? Or did that stall, just like the LIRR on a cold winter day?
    Yeah, I'm happy that I live off the Lexington Ave line and almost always get newer cars. Some of the E or 1 cars are nasty.

But anyone who complains about any part of Manhattan being dangerous to life must be a terrified little baby. Manhattan is about as dangerous as Disneyland these days, people who think otherwise are living in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Yeah, I'm happy that I live off the Lexington Ave line and almost always get newer cars. Some of the E or 1 cars are nasty.

But anyone who complains about any part of Manhattan being dangerous to life must be a terrified little baby. Manhattan is about as dangerous as Disneyland these days, people who think otherwise are living in the past.
    I am on LI, so I take the LIRR into penn and branch out from there, usually on A C E or 1 2 3. Very rarely do I get the pleasure of taking the 4 5 6 line. I loved how the lex line had the paypass trial, where I could use my RFID paypass keychain to pay for the train, no metrocard needed. Of course, that was lex line only.

But back on topic, the pre should not drain as it does in a low/no service situation. I have had dumb-phones in the past (mostly Sanyo's) that could happily sit in the subway for hours, and eventually go into powersave mode. Heck, I have even made calls while moving on the A C E line south of Penn station before. The pre needs better power management, NOW.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I sometimes forget to place it in airplane mode, but honestly, it isn't that hard of a step. I usually keep my metrocard in my slip case with my Pre, so when I take it out to go through the turnstile, it's a power on, tap, tap to turn airplane mode on. And I listen to music for the whole ride. When I'm walking out, I take it out to do the same to turn it back off, just to receive any texts or emails I may have missed.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    But the point is that we should not NEED to do this, and if we forget, sacrifice 20% of our battery when nothing is being used. Virtually every other phone ever created preforms leaps and bounds better with signal/power management.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    We don't need to, but it's just another way you can save the battery. It's not like you're able to get or use the service while you're underground. And yes, other phones may have better power management, but not every other phone is a Pre, much less a smartphone with multiple data radios. I did this on my Mogul as well. Why? Why not?

And also, I don't think I've ever experienced a 20% loss as you claim to have experienced on the subway. My commute is about 40-60 minutes one way.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Many cars on the E line are the new R-160 cars, which are quite nice and quiet. The C hasn't had new cars in almost 20 years! But - they are coming! The #1's cars aren't that old, so kind of surprised to hear them referred to as "nasty". The contract to wire the stations for cellular service has stalled, when the economy tanked. New bids should be received soon, so this vital improvement can finally take place. As for staying on topic - I would assume that a line (or station's) proximity to the surface (there's lots of bleed in the subway system) would be the determining factor in whether the Pre can get signal or not. That's the way it is with most phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    Many cars on the E line are the new R-160 cars, which are quite nice and quiet. The C hasn't had new cars in almost 20 years! But - they are coming! The #1's cars aren't that old, so kind of surprised to hear them referred to as "nasty". The contract to wire the stations for cellular service has stalled, when the economy tanked. New bids should be received soon, so this vital improvement can finally take place. As for staying on topic - I would assume that a line (or station's) proximity to the surface (there's lots of bleed in the subway system) would be the determining factor in whether the Pre can get signal or not. That's the way it is with most phones.
    They really need to get this thing going with the bids to wire up the stations. It should not be THAT hard. And like you said, there is tons of signal bleed all over the system, which does sometimes allow you to make calls.

However, I disagree with the previous posters statement that it is ok for the pre to drain as it does, b/c it is a pre. That is nonsense. A phone is a phone, no matter how smart it is. If it's power management is crap, a phone with a dead battery is not very useful.
    I do NOT want cell service in subways haha. Do you know how many people would be chatting away on their phones?

I am above ground on the N/W for 15 minutes before the city and it happens enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I do NOT want cell service in subways haha. Do you know how many people would be chatting away on their phones?

I am above ground on the N/W for 15 minutes before the city and it happens enough.
    It would just be on the station platforms, not in the tunnels.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I made a joke with a smiley face. If any of you New Yorkers can't take a joke... I've lived in urban environments my entire adult life. I know the reality, and have the knife scars to prove it.

Your 9 to 5 reality may be different from mine, but calling someone that you don't know a terrified little baby on the internet makes you a mook.
    Last edited by galavanter; 08/19/2009 at 07:08 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12