Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Active Home Screen and My Tether developers
    why you you people say "donate" while its more like buy?
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    There are alot of legal considerations if you say people have to BUY an item... a donation link takes alot of the legal issues away... Plus its only ten buck, both applications are worth it
    It IS buying. And I considerit buying. I paid for MyTether. It's well worth it. I guess they call it donating because that sounds nicer?

I guess the only difference between 'real' buying and this is that with this there's no set amount. You can pay what you want for it.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Those guys are working very hard for us so that we can have nice things on the Pre. They are also taking time out of there lives to do it. So I say more power to them. I have DONATED my money for there hard work.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    Those guys are working very hard for us so that we can have nice things on the Pre. They are also taking time out of there lives to do it. So I say more power to them. I have DONATED my money for there hard work.
    KUDOS! Cant Agree More!
    It's really a tip. A donation implies you receive nothing in return which isn't true of course since you downloaded an app.
    Those guys are working very hard for us...
    I didn't see anything in the OP's post that calls this into question, and I hope this thread can get back on topic as I find this curious, too.

I wasted some time the other day trying to figure out where to download some software that was "donate-ware". I assumed it was try-before-buy, as I've never seen this "forced donate" situation before. I would have appreciated a simple honest statement up front that says you have to donate before you can even find the download page.

Regards,
    Tom
    I agree -- I have willingly donated for Home Screen and consider it money well spent. I'd love tether, but my 'root phobia' keeps getting in the way -- not the donation aspect.
    I think nobody has a problem with the developers making money on products they make, so i wish folks would stop using this weak defense mechanism. We only ask they they keep it real and stop using the word DONATION as a cover up. Just say such n such apps costs $10 to buy.
    Must we go back to elementary school? A Donation is optional, NOT required. If you HAVE to spend money to get an app then thats called PURCHASING. Last time i checked Webster's donation still means donation,meaning giving only if you want to. But you HAVE to give to receive these apps.

I think if the developers that charge money as the only way to receive an app, they should not use the word donation in any way whatsoever. Admins should clean up these types of homebrew apps. I mean some of these threads are 70 pages long and if the title or first post said you have to PAY to get the app, it would save us people who will donate ONLY after we try the product first, a great deal or time.

Or hey just make a new forum: Pay-To-Try for those apps
  10.    #10  
    i have no problem donating money to a good app.
    but me personally i would like to try it first to see if i am gonna use it.
    i am sure they are good apps but if i am not gonna use it why would i buy it? that word "donation" is very misleading by those 2 developers
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    where is active home screen? I've not seen that one before.
    ^^^^ homebrew app section
    and have your $10 ready
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    ^^^^ homebrew app section
    and have your $10 ready
    that's what I figured. I went to homebrew section on the main page, and I was skimming through the homebrew section forum, couldn't find it. Oh Well.
    why does this topic always come up.. they can call it what they want.. if you dont like it, develop it yourself
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    You can use a fully functional version of My Tether without donating...the developer is committed to pushing out any bug fixes, etc to the free version...which will remain free, in it's current form.

That being said, if you want some additional functionality and future updates, you have to donate $10 towards his continued development efforts...

So you do get to trial it first...and can use the free version at will...I donated because I was interested in some additional features that came with the donateware version....
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by koaltech View Post
    You can use a fully functional version of My Tether without donating...the developer is committed to pushing out any bug fixes, etc to the free version...which will remain free, in it's current form.

That being said, if you want some additional functionality and future updates, you have to donate $10 towards his continued development efforts...

So you do get to trial it first...and can use the free version at will...I donated because I was interested in some additional features that came with the donateware version....

the free version requires rooting to install
    the "donateware version" full version does not or does it for you
    that's a pretty big difference
    i am not will to root right now
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    I agree -- I have willingly donated for Home Screen and consider it money well spent. I'd love tether, but my 'root phobia' keeps getting in the way -- not the donation aspect.
    If you donate, you get an installer. No rooting required, quick and painless.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    If you donate, you get an installer. No rooting required, quick and painless.
    if i buy it and don't like it i am out 10 bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    if i buy it and don't like it i am out 10 bucks
    yeh thats the kicker
    i think most people expect with MOST program, u get some type of trial to see if indeed the software meets their standards and final price for product

all these type of topics would go away if the developers used better terminology when giving their product to the public(just stop using the word donation)
    but seriously Warblad13, we are not talking about a game here. It's a tethering app. You either have a need for it and thus $10 is a fair deal for the installer, or you don't need it enough to root your pre and install it for free. What could you not like about that. I wish every program would have options similar to that. I myself have no need to tether, but if you do, root the thing.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast