Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59
  1. reminiz's Avatar
    Posts
    780 Posts
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I downloaded one homebrew app where the developer assures free updates for the lifetime of the app (if you "donate" 5.00) when its put in the app catalog.

    Question then: How will you be able to get the app catalog version of the app without paying (palm) for it again?
    Thanks for asking, cause as I was reading through this thread and how Palm is going to do the app catalog, this is my question as well.

    You're kind of going around Palm now and making people "donate" for an app. Are you going to tell Palm those people already bought the app, give it to them free, and then you (the developer) will cover the 30% that Palm gets?
  2. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    It IS buying. And I considerit buying. I paid for MyTether. It's well worth it. I guess they call it donating because that sounds nicer?

    I guess the only difference between 'real' buying and this is that with this there's no set amount. You can pay what you want for it.
    LegaLLY ITS not BUYING...no matter how you look at it.

    If it was a prchase (buy) you would have a written warranty of merchantability, and be told you were making a purchase (either specifically or implied).
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    LegaLLY ITS not BUYING...no matter how you look at it.

    If it was a prchase (buy) you would have a written warranty of merchantability, and be told you were making a purchase (either specifically or implied).
    Umm...i purchased it for whatever it was in July. Got a receipt (paypal) and everything. In return, i got mytether 2.0 and access to his paid users forum.

    What part about buying or purchasing something do you not understand?
  4. #44  
    OMG this is such a pointless thread on many levels! We all know what tethering is. Its either you need it or you dont. The whole "legel" issues is just a crutch t=o complain about something. As they stated there is a "donate free" version. You must root your pre to install it. Its free so dont b*tch about the install.

    Sometimes I wonder why people give out there apps free. No matter what you do the world will never be happy. I hope the dev team behinde my tether makes some money in return for their "FREE WORK". I support donations all the way from apps/patches to something simple as themes.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

    Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

    If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
  5. #45  
    I'm sure it has something to do with tax as well.. donations are tax free. If you were actually selling something, they'd have to declare it on their 1040 (if they're Americans anyway).

    *shrug* I think the efforts being put out to create these apps is well worth the money, no matter what they call the payment.
  6. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Umm...i purchased it for whatever it was in July. Got a receipt (paypal) and everything. In return, i got mytether 2.0 and access to his paid users forum.

    What part about buying or purchasing something do you not understand?
    A receipt does not indicate a purchase

    You made a donation..plain and simple.

    What is so hard to figure out that you read (or were suppose to read) all the items on the pages...before you made your donation.....what part of this can you not understand....

    You hit this button to DONATE did you not??? https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=7210917

    So I am going to take for granted that you can read...what does that button say? Does it not say donate? Did it say make purchase, buy, or anything like that?


    So let me see..when i donate something to charity (goodwill, salvation army, local church, etc..) and they give me a receipt for my donation, does that mean I purchased something? By your logic I HAVE!!!!

    You In no way, ethically, morally, or legally, in no way made a purchase as you seem to want to deem it....you made a donation to the developer.

    You donated to a cause and a purpose....nothing more nothing less...and for your donation you recieved a different version of MyTether, nothing mor nothing less....they gave you a gift for your donation.

    ADD Moment...damm i hope you never send money to PBS...and get a gift you dont like, doesnt fit, cant read, or just doesnt suiot you.....you might be inclined to sue them over your PURCHASE.

    Please learn the difference of the two terms, donation and purchase, make sure you are fully aware of what you are going to say is acurate and factual before you say it....if not you will look lilke a crying *****..AGAIN.

    Have a good day..hope I corrected your improper interpretation of the terms you were using incorrectly.
    Last edited by DocHemi; 11/30/2009 at 08:57 AM.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    A receipt does not indicate a purchase

    You made a donation..plain and simple.

    What is so hard to figure out that you read (or were suppose to read) all the items on the pages...before you made your donation.....what part of this can you not understand....

    You hit this button to DONATE did you not??? https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=7210917

    So I am going to take for granted that you can read...what does that button say? Does it not say donate? Did it say make purchase, buy, or anything like that?
    You don't seem to get it. It doesn't matter. I paid for something..i got something in return (the receipt has the details). End of story. Expensed already.

    You can talk about "donate" buttons all you want but its irrelevant.
  8. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    OMG this is such a pointless thread on many levels! We all know what tethering is. Its either you need it or you dont. The whole "legel" issues is just a crutch t=o complain about something. As they stated there is a "donate free" version. You must root your pre to install it. Its free so dont b*tch about the install.

    Sometimes I wonder why people give out there apps free. No matter what you do the world will never be happy. I hope the dev team behinde my tether makes some money in return for their "FREE WORK". I support donations all the way from apps/patches to something simple as themes.
    I might add to your post that some people want everything for nothing...SPRINT AND PALM will NEVER offer an app for tethering
    Sprint does not want us to thether atherefore Palm will not give us the ability.

    So By donating a few bucks and helping a developer out, to do something most users cant do them selves, is worth it.
  9. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You don't seem to get it. It doesn't matter. I paid for something..i got something in return (the receipt has the details). End of story. Expensed already.

    You can talk about "donate" buttons all you want but its irrelevant.
    You are the one not getting it....YOU DIDNT PURCHASE ANYTHING.

    YOU DONATED AND GOT A GIFT.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    A receipt does not indicate a purchase

    You made a donation..plain and simple.

    What is so hard to figure out that you read (or were suppose to read) all the items on the pages...before you made your donation.....what part of this can you not understand....

    You hit this button to DONATE did you not??? https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=7210917

    So I am going to take for granted that you can read...what does that button say? Does it not say donate? Did it say make purchase, buy, or anything like that?


    So let me see..when i donate something to charity (goodwill, salvation army, local church, etc..) and they give me a receipt for my donation, does that mean I purchased something? By your logic I HAVE!!!!

    You In no way, ethically, morally, or legally, in no way made a purchase as you seem to want to deem it....you made a donation to the developer.

    You donated to a cause and a purpose....nothing more nothing less...and for your donation you recieved a different version of MyTether, nothing mor nothing less....they gave you a gift for your donation.

    ADD Moment...damm i hope you never send money to PBS...and get a gift you dont like, doesnt fit, cant read, or just doesnt suiot you.....you might be inclined to sue them over your PURCHASE.

    Please learn the difference of the two terms, donation and purchase, make sure you are fully aware of what you are going to say is acurate and factual before you say it....if not you will look lilke a crying *****..AGAIN.

    Have a good day..hope I corrected your improper interpretation of the terms you were using incorrectly.
    wow..

    If i donate to PBS or red cross or anything like that, i don't get anything in return. That's a donation. If i give money to a dev in these forums who offer free apps, that's a gift.

    But if i give money to a developer and that's the only way to gain access to a specific forum and a specific version of software, then its a purchase.
    Last edited by cardfan; 11/30/2009 at 09:21 AM.
  11. DocHemi's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's really a tip. A donation implies you receive nothing in return which isn't true of course since you downloaded an app.
    So a dontation to PBS is not a donation? Because they give you something in return... hmmm The Federal law and IRS seem to disagree with you....

    But then your the authority, and they are wrong....right??

    Just because you recieve something does not negate the fact of the donation.

    Look up the LEGAL definition of a purchase and you will see that you are indeed wrong, and your monitary contribution was infact a DONATION.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    So a dontation to PBS is not a donation? Because they give you something in return... hmmm The Federal law and IRS seem to disagree with you....

    But then your the authority, and they are wrong....right??

    Just because you recieve something does not negate the fact of the donation.

    Look up the LEGAL definition of a purchase and you will see that you are indeed wrong, and your monitary contribution was infact a DONATION.
    sigh...since you used PBS as an example, here goes:

    Is my contribution tax-deductible?

    Your contributions to KET (Kentucky's version of PBS) are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. Occasionally, the amount of a contribution that is tax-deductible will be reduced because of the fair-market value of a premium received as a thank-you for a donation (such as a coffee mug, tote bag, CD, or video). KET sends out a notification with all of this information every time a gift is made and an annual summary receipt listing the total tax-deductible amount of all gifts received during the year.


    Listen, I appreciate the work he does on mytether. I'm happy with the PURCHASE. As a CPA, that's how it got reported on my end.. You feel free to do whatever you want.

    Furthermore, this only applies as a purchase for this specific app...the paid version of mytether. I'm not referring to any other devs or homebrew apps in this forum.
  13. #53  
    "Cost" has nothing to do with the OP's question; if 20 bucks is going to break the bank, you have much bigger issues.

    Donationware is an established term for a certain class of software, much like shareware, freeware, and crippleware. The two devs mentioned in the OP are not providing "donationware", they are selling a paid product.

    "Donationware is a licensing model that supplies fully operational software to the user and requests a donation be paid...Since donationware comes fully operational (i.e. not crippleware) and payment is optional, it is technically a type of freeware. However, donationware is also similar to shareware in that a reasonable payment (in this case donation) may be expected, but (unlike shareware) is not required by the license." (Source)

    Why are they calling it by a misleading name? I can think of a few reasons.

    1) Palm's developer license. Currently I don't buy (not to use a bad pun) this explanation. The license precludes ANY distribution outside the app catalog; this obviously applies to ALL homebrew apps, regardless of cost. Palm is essentially ignoring this clause to encourage WebOS development, and has given their blessing to distribute "beta" versions outside the app catalog.

    2) Paypal fees. Processing a payment as a donation will generally save the developer about half a percent on fees. This is negligible unless the devs are pushing sales well into the mid-five figures, in which case they are at a fairly high risk of the next point.

    3) Taxation. Donations aren't tax-free (unless you are a registered 501(c)3, which isn't relevant to this thread); however you probably run a slightly smaller risk of an audit depending on how PayPal reports donation transactions to the IRS.

    4) Misuse of terminology to garner goodwill from customers. "Please donate" sounds better to the uninformed customer when compared to "Buy now". Donate has positive connotations of charity and giving, which, as can be seen in some "fan boyish" posters in this very thread, can cause a psychological effect that would probably not occur in a run-of-the-mill purchase. Essentially it gives some purchasers a psychological feeling of "contribution" to an app. Compare donating money to a local glee club with purchasing tickets to a Broadway musical.

    Finally, the comparisons between these paid apps and PBS is laughable at best. When you donate to PBS, you are donating for the purposes of continuing the FREE programming that you derive value from. If you get a calendar mailed to you after donating, that is a GIFT and has nothing to do with the purpose of the donation. A comparable situation would be if these apps were free and donators got early access to test beta versions that would be released (for free) at a later date. None of these developers have stated their paid apps are simply beta versions that will eventually be released for free, in fact a few have clearly said the opposite.

    So yeah, the issue is fairly semantic, but I live by the motto that "words mean something." Obviously some posters here have different standards.
  14. #54  
    For what it's worth, which isn't all that much, when I donated to Aonic a long time ago, I didn't expect to receive anything in return. It was truly a donation. Aonic attempted to keep the donators version quiet for a while, but people who donated could not keep it to themselves. He tried to keep it quiet so that the donations were truly donations and not purchases.
  15. #55  
    Think of it like this. Even if you did think of it as a buy. Im sure the dev of the software still has to pay bills...Just like you and me! So if you get some good use out of it then why feel bad? Hell I donate to people for themes for crying out loud! I WANT them to continue to update and make new patches/apps/themes for the future!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

    Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

    If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
  16. #56  
    i delete my remark.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    Not willing to root as I said before
    If you are not willing to Root, then you are not willing to root. That is on you, don't complain about the developer providing an option for both and charging for one of the options. If I use the free version and root my Pre, I will probably "donate" any way. not because I feel obligated, but because the developer provided me with a product and I want to help them out.
    Last edited by jakelaw; 12/31/2009 at 01:19 PM.
  18. pfd
    pfd is offline
    pfd's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    #58  
    The OP didn't say that he did not want to pay the developers for their work. He simply asked the difference between a "required donation" and a "purchase". If you require that someone make a donation in order to receive a product, it is no longer a true donation. Is it? Thanks to Lethal and Cardfan for setting the record straight.

    Developers under contact/license with Palm cannot "sell" Apps outside of the App catalog. Itís just a quasi legal way around the issue. Itís simple semantics.

    I personally have not tried ďMy TetherĒ, but Iím sure itís a great program for people that would need it.

    I did however; make a "donation" to a separate dev who had essentially the same App in both homebrew and the App catalog. It was $2.99 in the App catalog (after a free trial), or a $5.00 "donation" directly to the Dev via PayPal. I was happy to pay a little extra because it was the most useful App that I have seen so far, and the dev was very responsive during the free trial.

    Just my $0.02.
  19. #59  
    I used myTether in the Vegas airport when my flight back to Denver was delayed. It worked great. But it was my second Pre as I murdered my first one attempting to root it to enable tethering. At any rate, I got it right the second time, but would have loved an installer. The only installer available was through a "donation" to myTether. I didn't use it enough to spend the money, and I thought it was unfair that I had to "donate" a specific amount in order to get it.

    I would have had no problem sending a few bucks, but don't force me to give you money just because you make it easy for me to violate my TOS.

    I've since replaced that Pre (cosmetic reasons) and didn't install myTether again because I couldn't find a free version. However this week I installed the Mobile Hotspot app and I love it. Just hope Sprint doesn't find out.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions