Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    if i buy it and don't like it i am out 10 bucks
    I was responding to mandystreasures' root phobia.
  2.    #22  
    And I was responding to you
    Quote Originally Posted by spcs700wx View Post
    why does this topic always come up.. they can call it what they want.. if you dont like it, develop it yourself
    A good standard I've heard put several ways basically says "talking intelligently and with understanding requires a mutually understood language". When people "call it what they want", that often precludes "talking intelligently and with understanding"...
    ^^^ ha

But whats so hard about the developers simply bein honest with beta testers or potential customers?
    How hard is it to put in the first post in the thread that the app they have is MUST PAY app and not use the word donation? and others simply put donate if app is truly free?

Or again why not make a MUST PAY, r app selling section, instead of sneaking them in with the tru donation-based applications?
    There is a free version available that requires root access. The root-free version is available for donors.
    I think the main reason for this is that you are not allowed to distribute Apps outside of the App Catalog if you downloaded the SDK and accepted the EULA. Distributing beta versions for donations is not selling apps (an obvious distribution.)
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    There is a free version available that requires root access. The root-free version is available for donors.
    Not willing to root as I said before
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I think the main reason for this is that you are not allowed to distribute Apps outside of the App Catalog if you downloaded the SDK and accepted the EULA. Distributing beta versions for donations is not selling apps (an obvious distribution.)
    Now THAT'S the most plausible explanation I've heard of all day. And, it may explain, at least in part, the lack of straightforward terms of purchase by the developers, as they may be bending the rules a bit.

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Now THAT'S the most plausible explanation I've heard of all day. And, it may explain, at least in part, the lack of straightforward terms of purchase by the developers, as they may be bending the rules a bit.

Regards,
    Tom
    bending the rules is an understatement
    but for the 100th time, folks have NO problems with the developers making money. if thats the case, wait until product is finished and put in palm app store. seems like developers trying to get the money at both ends..........

So developers cant wait to put their app into palm now huh? selling it a bit early arent ya?
    Guys its pretty simple pay pall allows donation without settign up a business account. It was an easy way to take money nothing else.

Paypal lest you create a donate link for free.
    Simple answer. Paypal... If you setup a buy it now button you have to set a price. If you set up a 'donation' button the user determines the value. This is useful in two ways... 1. The avg donation helps determine the value to the end user. Low donations.. App probably has a limited life and warrants less development. 2. Helps determine best price if app is accepted into the official app store.

Now for tether the dev set a minimum for donation. Your donation gets you the installer. The app is free but is bundled with the installer. I think they did it right, the installer is by itself a great piece of work and if you want to tether it is worth it. I have rooted my pre and still donated because aonic does top notch work.

So the wording is a paypal phenom, and the devs should be allpwed to set a minimum lest you want an unsupported app with bugs and no updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    bending the rules is an understatement
    but for the 100th time, folks have NO problems with the developers making money. if thats the case, wait until product is finished and put in palm app store. seems like developers trying to get the money at both ends..........

So developers cant wait to put their app into palm now huh? selling it a bit early arent ya?
    Well, people will pay $20 for an ebook on webscription.net, that will be sold in a month for $7. Why? Because they are getting it NOW, even if it is in rough form.

You have a choice to not pay a donation and wait. Or you can get it early for a little donation. I have no problem with it. As a developer, I'm as happy to receive GOOD bug information or feature request as payment for using the app. I'm personally not restricting any versions without donation and only added a link to donate because I was asked to do so.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I don't think the OP's point of this thread had anything to do with Developers not having the right to ask for donations. I think his point which I agree with is, how can you call a mandatory fee a donation. I'm sure there are some tax agents who would see the circumvention of paying sales/income tax by selling a good for a donation as cause for an audit.
    I downloaded one homebrew app where the developer assures free updates for the lifetime of the app (if you "donate" 5.00) when its put in the app catalog.

Question then: How will you be able to get the app catalog version of the app without paying (palm) for it again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    Not willing to root as I said before
    Then you wait or pay.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Then you wait or pay.
    aonic has no intention of releasing my tether free :

"2.x.x will not become a public version, 1.5.x will remain the free version, when 2.x is good enough in my opinion to be called a polished, turn-key product it might be released as a paid app, but I dont have an ETA on that, I'm happy with My Tether being a continuous development effort with new features being added and removed as they work out, making this into a pay-for product would certainly make it harder to push out experimental features. Donors will always get access to all versions, in the present and future."

from
    Why forced donations?

so i guess i will be waiting for a while
    its ok i don't even have a laptop!!
    just asking about the whole "donation" and buy
    cause its really BUY and give more NOT donate
    Last edited by Warblad13; 08/18/2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    First off, I'm NOT A DEV. I have never seen so many cheap people in my life. This is what these guys do for a living. They are providing a service to US TO ENJOY!! All these people can do is complain they have to pay $ 5-10 for an app. Were else do you guys go to try before you buy? Can you look at the screen shots, discriptions and reviews to figure out if you would need it or like it. Go to Best Buy and tell them you want to try out a video game before you buy it! You really think it is unreasonable to ask for money for their work. WHO CARES WHAT THEY CALL IT. When the Palm app cat. opens, you'll have to pay for apps there, right! Maybe they need financials to be able to continue their work. I personally think a few bucks to them, for us to have good apps, is well worth it. By the way, if you don't want to root your pre....then wait or pay!! These are beta apps, some require root access. If you don't want to do that, wait for beta to end and pay like everyone else!!
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    First off, I'm NOT A DEV. I have never seen so many cheap people in my life. This is what these guys do for a living. They are providing a service to US TO ENJOY!! All these people can do is complain they have to pay $ 5-10 for an app. Were else do you guys go to try before you buy? Can you look at the screen shots, discriptions and reviews to figure out if you would need it or like it. Go to Best Buy and tell them you want to try out a video game before you buy it! You really think it is unreasonable to ask for money for their work. WHO CARES WHAT THEY CALL IT. When the Palm app cat. opens, you'll have to pay for apps there, right! Maybe they need financials to be able to continue their work. I personally think a few bucks to them, for us to have good apps, is well worth it. By the way, if you don't want to root your pre....then wait or pay!! These are beta apps, some require root access. If you don't want to do that, wait for beta to end and pay like everyone else!!
    no one is debating about money please read the comments before you post. its about the word "donate" and if you say required donation that's basically saying buy its very misleading.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Microsoft has free beta available of their office suites while working the bugs out. I also downloaded a trial of MS 2007, which is obviously a well known product and I was aware of its features before I downloaded it, but I found it was not suitable for what I wanted it for once I actually tried to use it. Customer satisfaction for a completed product does not need forced sales. The terminology used is because of issues with Palm not wanting competition with their App Catalog is what I believe to be the reason for the word donation being used. If I knew a product was never making its way to the App Catalog, forcing me to pay twice, then I would be happy to "donate" for a the product. So far the apps I have seen for purchase in the catalog run $30 (29.99). So the free app that I used regularly prior to making it to the catalog would make me feel a stronger need for the app, and thus very likely to part me from my hard earned cash at that time. I do want to mention that I appreciate the hard work put into all of these apps, which I have found to be equal if not better than the apps in the Pre. The app catalog will not be in beta for much longer would be my guess, so we will see how it all plays out.
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Buying a video game from Best Buy is a weak example. For one your're ONLY buying a FINISHED product there. For 2 Who would ever pay to for a incomplete game just to see if they like it? For 3 a lot of games come out on xbox and ps3 as a demo first, for free. But i bet you if best buy did see beta games that arent complete you wouldnt see "This game costs a $10 donation" sticker on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast