Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Palm, Inc. (NASDAQ:PALM) announced
    that starting today developers who wish to charge for their Palm webOS(TM)
    applications can begin submitting them for consideration in the Palm(R) App
    Catalog e-commerce beta program, which will begin in mid-September. Developers
    selected to participate in the beta program will have the opportunity to have
    their applications, both free and paid, featured in the Palm App Catalog ahead
    of the next wave, and to be among the first to be paid for purchases of their
    Palm webOS applications.
    As part of the App Catalog e-commerce beta program for the Palm Pre(TM)
    phone and future Palm webOS devices, developers will receive a 70/30 split
    (developer/Palm) of gross revenues generated through application sales (less
    applicable sales taxes). Customers will be able to easily purchase applications
    using Visa and MasterCard credit cards. Further details about the program and
    distribution model will be provided in the coming weeks. Palm expects to launch
    the full developer program in the United States this fall.
    "We're rolling out the submission process and e-commerce capabilities of
    the Palm App Catalog with careful consideration for both the developer and
    customer," said Katie Mitic, senior vice president, Product Marketing, Palm,
    Inc. "We want every part of the Palm webOS experience to be the best, and a
    strong e-commerce model is key to a thriving developer community, great apps and
    an excellent customer experience."
    Well well...sounds like they are going more the route that Apple took with the App Store. You pay Palm, and they pay the developer. Earlier reports said that the App Catalog just redirected you to the developers site and you ended up paying them directly.

That's good news....too bad it's going to be a while yet, but...good things come to those that wait I suppose.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Well well...sounds like they are going more the route that Apple took with the App Store. You pay Palm, and they pay the developer. Earlier reports said that the App Catalog just redirected you to the developers site and you ended up paying them directly.

That's good news....too bad it's going to be a while yet, but...good things come to those that wait I suppose.
    I don't remember those earlier reports. I remember there being reports that there would be links to the developer Web site, which there are. However, I only remember seeing speculation that payment would be through the developer Web site.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    How about they post some more useful apps before deciding if developers can submit to this program? It's really pretty pitiful at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    How about they post some more useful apps before deciding if developers can submit to this program? It's really pretty pitiful at this point.
    Maybe because the developers of those "useful" apps want to make some money?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Thank you for reminding me there are people who think before talking.
    so is it going to be mid september before we start to see any programs??
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    so is it going to be mid september before we start to see any programs??
    ??

There were I believe 18 apps when the Pre was introduced. Now there are, I think, 32. What makes you think that it will be mid september before we see any apps?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    There's nothing stopping them from making money if they release the apps now. Are you insinuating that the apps released thus far do not want to make money?

Quote Originally Posted by DougB541
    Thank you for reminding me there are people who think before talking.
    Not only do I think before speaking, but I'm also not a *****. Thanks for making me feel better about myself.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ^ don't cry ok?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    lol... I love Forums
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    lol.
    Wow You People Need Something To Do. Since When can Only A Few Of You Speak Without Being Blasted?? Get Of Your Couch And Go Outside And Play.....WOW
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I don't remember those earlier reports. I remember there being reports that there would be links to the developer Web site, which there are. However, I only remember seeing speculation that payment would be through the developer Web site.
    Ok...speculation...I was in a hurry when I typed that and probably wasn't very clear on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    Wow You People Need Something To Do. Since When can Only A Few Of You Speak Without Being Blasted?? Get Of Your Couch And Go Outside And Play.....WOW
    Uh-oh...you screwed up. You forgot to capitalize one of the words in your post.
    Since I do not yet own a PRE, (I am with V and I am waiting to see what the difference will be between the V version of PRE or what ever else they will call it and the S version), what is the web address for the PRE App Store?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    More from another source. I think the guidelines are excellent without being over-bearing:

Playing Catch-Up

by Kent Bernhard, Jr. Aug 18 2009
    Palm is rolling out its own smartphone application store, which should entice developers to get behind the new mobile platform. Its approach looks a lot like rival Apple’s.

Palm is creating a new online application store for its Pre smartphone, hoping to give developers an economic incentive to write software for the slick new mobile device that was launched in June.

The deal Palm is offering developers may sound familiar to anyone who’s followed the progress of the iPhone’s über-popular App Store. And it could be one more step toward making the Palm Pre a true competitor to the iPhone. But Palm has a long way to go before the Pre, which is based on open-source Linux software, can challenge the iPhone’s app dominance.

Apple has made the apps available for its iPhone a centerpiece of marketing the popular device. There are 65,000 applications available through its App Store, dwarfing the 35 applications now available for the Pre’s WebOS operating system.

Colin Crawford, a mobile media consultant for Portfolio.com/bizjournals, said Palm has a significant chance to compete, particularly if it learns from the mistakes Apple has made with its App Store.

“If they can really focus on making the experience better for the developer and the user, they’ve got a chance,” he said. What that means is making the development process more transparent, so a developer has a better idea what he or she needs to do to get a product into Palm’s store. If Palm could make apps easier to find than they are in Apple’s mammoth store, that would be a victory for consumers.

“The guys at Palm have this opportunity to look over the past year that Apple has rolled out its very successful store and make some improvements,” Crawford said.

...Palm spokesman Alex Hunter said plenty of developers had expressed interest in creating applications for the Pre, but that they hadn’t known until today how they could make money from those applications.

“Today, we think we went a long way toward answering that question,” he said. “There were thousands of developers interested…I anticipate that the influx will start.”

In the guidelines on its blog, Palm calls for apps that are:

* Useful and engaging to users.
    * Have an appealing design.
    * Written specifically for Palm's WebOS.
    * Fast. Applications with a slow response time or that take up too much power on the device will be rejected.

Applications will become available to consumers as the store rolls out in mid-September. Palm aims to have a full app catalog available in the U.S. this fall.

“It’s kind of a phased approach that we’re taking,” said Hunter.

More here:
    Playing Catch-Up - Industry News - Portfolio.com