Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by kolik View Post
    Hi,

I am thinking about buying palm pixi, here in europe. But i need gps navigation. Google maps with navigation donīt work in europe and besides, data plans are horrible here (pricy and with strickt fup). So what i need is a offline gps navigation. Something like tomtom or sygic...

Is there a gps nav for palm (webOS) with preloaded maps?

Thanks a lot...
    Not yet unfortunately but I think the pressure is mounting for something to be ported.

I was dismayed at the abilities even to do geocaching while in Cornwall last week. You don't even need maps for that and there is a nice app that lets you navigate to the waypoints using bearing and range information but the lack of phone signal or wifi made it very hard to get the GPS to lock on. GPSWrestler helped but I found the GPS lost signal whenever I walked under a tree so it was most frustrating. I wouldn't trust it for road navigation in it's current form.
    yes without WAAS any "stand alone" GPS unit will suck just as bad. Once I got a Gamin60CSX that had WAAS, it makes caching in the wild much easier!

sorry to say I don't know if WAAS is used out side the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    The pre does have a standalone gps folks. We have gone through this topic before as well. As long as you are outside, connected with at least wifi, gps works.
    thats not stand alone
    I did a test once and after sprint nav calculated my route I turned off data and it kept working no problem at all.
    I have Data and GPS in my device menu, when I switch to Airplane mode, Data switches to off, GPS stays on. So just in case someone hasn't said it already, Airplane mode does not turn GPS off.

Also when I traveled to Austria with my Sprint Pre, I kept it in airplane mode and utilized wifi. I was able to use Google Maps with no issues while connected to Wifi and it accurately reported my location on the map.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I just wanted to confirm that the Pre DOES have standalone GPS capabilities...
    I am currently in Japan, and I've kept my phone in airplane mode so far since I own a Sprint Pre and international coverage in my area is not available.
    I downloaded and fired up the "Navit" app that was just posted to Preware, and sure enough i got a GPS lock on my position!!! When I kept the Pre in airplane mode, it wouldn't lock onto my position, but as soon as I disabled airplane mode it locked on VERY fast (within a few seconds).
    I hope this helps with the issue you're (referring to the OP) talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Not yet unfortunately but I think the pressure is mounting for something to be ported.

I was dismayed at the abilities even to do geocaching while in Cornwall last week. You don't even need maps for that and there is a nice app that lets you navigate to the waypoints using bearing and range information but the lack of phone signal or wifi made it very hard to get the GPS to lock on. GPSWrestler helped but I found the GPS lost signal whenever I walked under a tree so it was most frustrating. I wouldn't trust it for road navigation in it's current form.
    Navit, now available on Preware!!
    It's awesome
    I notice that requests on this forum for a decent GPS navigator app go back to 2008, and still, two years later, at least from AT&T, no nav app is available other than the highly unsatisfactory TeleNav product offered (for an additional $9.95 per month on your phone bill) in AT&T's App Catalog. That is disgraceful.

Graduating from a failing Treo 680, I just purchased a Pre after going through two other phones (HTC "Aria," Samsung "Captivate") and returning them almost immediately. I guess I had been spoiled by the Palm OS; the other phones didn't even come close in terms of intuitive operation. The Pre, although very different in operation than the 680, blows those other phones away in that regard. The only disappointing thing I've encountered in this amazing device is the appalling lack of a good GPS navigation app, at least one offered by AT&T.

On the Treo 680, I had installed TomTom's Navigator v5. It was just like the Palm itself - it almost read your mind as to what you needed when you needed it, in terms of a navigation aid. It did take the 680 a while to acquire the necessary combination of satellites, but once it did, it stayed locked on and worked like a charm. Plus, TomTom's maps had some roads on it - lanes, really - that were not even on printed roadmaps.

I've used Garmin, Magellan, TomTom, and (now) TeleNav, and IMO, for me, TomTom is the best app, so I'm using it as a basis for my complaint about current AT&T app offerings.

The TeleNav app that AT&T offers is a truly inferior product, and why AT&T and Palm have teamed up only with this vendor is a mystery. In speaking with TomTom, I'm told that TomTom plans to support the IPhone only, and has no plans to develop apps for other brands. This is understandable from a limited marketing perspective, but considering the growing market out there for other phones, and considering the sophistication of the Pre compared to other phones, it would seem to me that both TomTom and Palm, by not working out a mutually beneficial marketing plan that addresses a painfully obvious need, are missing out on a a huge opportunity here. I also hope that it's not true or final.

Given the Pre's huge memory availability that can easily absorb any of a number of the map sets offered by a product such as TomTom, and given the Pre's built-in standalone GPS capability, there is no obvious reason why the AT&T App Catalog contains only one nav app.

Can anyone explain what is going on, and why, after two years, neither of these corporate giants (Palm, AT&T, and, although less of a giant, TomTom) has addressed this?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456