View Poll Results: The best way for Palm to gain market share is to focus on

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprints better data value VS IPHONE

12 38.71%
  • A more open and free platform VS the IPHONE

12 38.71%
  • The blatent flaws the IPHONE has with customer needs (MMS etc)

6 19.35%
  • ... Palm isn't going to win over IPHONE users because they are brainwashed.

10 32.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1.    #1  
    I left apple, for the pre. My friends left apple, for the pre. Palm needs to hire me as their marketing strategist. While I do like sprints right now campaign they need to target average phone users against the iphone.

It's quite simple. Here's how the marketing strat should work.

FREE OF CHARGE ADVICE PALM.
    Of course you can use my company M.R. Digital to do the production
    ( Welcome to M.R. Digital 330-576-5398 call today! ::: If it's digital, It's our job ::: )

or use the scripts I've drafted:

We need to Focus on what you CAN do with both the phone and the savings:
    What can you do with $600. Take a plane to the virgin islands perhaps.

Code:
    Say, "Johnny is flying to the virgin islands, because he decided to go with the sprint everything plan and a palm pre over an Iphone."
    Then compare:
    Code:
    "Beth is playing with her virgin islands app she bought for the iphone because she couldn't afford to go."
    Focus on critical flaws too,
    Code:
    "Mike is easily finding his way to Sarah's house with turn by turn navigation free in the sprint everything plan."
    then...
    Code:
    "Jeff is still trying to get the very sexy picture of Michelle holding a come over now sign, because she sent it via MMS"
    There are dozens of these comparisons. I'd even take the PalmPre / Free route

Using a title at the end of the commercial that changes the Pre into Free.
    Have a series of spots that show the choices a palm user has.
    (Palm needs to donate money to our community and let us do this one, since I don't think they want to promote this aspect yet. But freedom is always appealing, and I don't think they are sending that message.)

Simple spots like,
    Code:
    "5 applications running at the same time may drain your battery, but it's your battery."
    Palm Pre fades into Palm Free

Code:
    Podcasts over 16mb are not criminals, Palm PRe fades to Palm Free.
    etc. etc. etc.

Dear Palm, contact me, together we will put an end to this strange Palm Pre ad campaign that you probably paid a fortune for. Really, what the hell was that India style music video with the precalc in the middle looking at things that was on my motorola razr.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the theatrics of the commercial, but it doesn't do anything for the phone. It sells the videographer and M83 more than your product.
    Maybe you should focus on the company you want to hire you first. The commmercials you're talking about, I think (your post is a bit ... disjointed) are Sprint commercials. Not Palm.

Why would Palm hire you to work for Sprint?
  3.    #3  
    Half Sprint, half Palm. Disjointed though indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by irishjays View Post
    Half Sprint, half Palm. Disjointed though indeed.
    I work around Akron and I've never heard of you guys? Hummmmm. This a college/highschool side job type deal?

Just a couple helpful pointers:

Try and make your website Bright, inviting, happy, professional, etc. I've been doing graphic and web design for quite some time.
    Your website is dark, gloomy, etc. Its not inviting. I was expecting a full, head-on production web site, instead I was hit with a gloomy page with little to no content.

Those are just helpful idea's.. don't take it the wrong way.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks tntsniper for your evaluation.
    Though I am slightly insulted by the college/highschool remark, no, I have a real business with a uniforms and everything (major league reference), and I love feedback.

The website was made to look like my childhood on a monochrome computer. I've been doing graphic design since 1995 and don't want to do it the rest of my life, I want to run a business.

I also do not want to look like everyone else. (edit: not jabbing at you personally here) Your suggestion to appeal bright, inviting, happy, professional, is something everyone and their mother can say. Actually I'm fairly certain my mother does say that about my website.

Especially in the market right now, the WWW is so full of glittery gradients and glowing bubly web 2.0 fun, I guess when I sat down to do my site a little rebellion started and since my clients want glitter, happy, diagonal-lined-rounded-corners, and I was free to do what I wanted. mrdigital.com was created.

I'd agree that the content is lacking, that has to do with being the owner and part time producer of a company, when I get to the point where I have time to work on my own web site, I'm probably not working hard enough.

That said, I will be hiring a graphic designer soon, who if I'm paying salary would be more than welcome to run some web ideas by me. In the meantime, myself and a business partner are targeting niche areas of interest. Trying to find that magic combination that will allow us to surface regionally.

If I may offer so advice: While design is dissected in books and classrooms, you can't make a difference with out the root different. I'm not throwing you on that pile of smiley marketing girls and brown nosing agencies, I'm just saying your note made me think about why it's good to go a different route every now an then, and I hope I can remind everyone to get out there from time to time.

...and my website, the first of many I assure you. You looking for work in the Akron Cleveland area?
    Last edited by irishjays; 08/18/2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: don't want to sound harsh here, hold on a sec...
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Good luck, I'm sure Palm will hire you..
  7.    #7  
    I can hardly blame the use of sarcasm, as it was hinted entirely in my choice of subject line for this post, but I just wanted to share the way I would market the palm device on sprint, if you'd like to lower your nose and have dialog I would welcome that. I think we're all on the same team here.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I can hardly blame the use of sarcasm, as it was hinted entirely in my choice of subject line for this post, but I just wanted to share the way I would market the palm device on sprint, if you'd like to lower your nose and have dialog I would welcome that. I think we're all on the same team here.
    I'm pretty sure Palm and the marketing companies they hire are more capable than anyone on this forum.

I've got a Pre. I like it and all. But I'm not gonna support a company that's making money off me. If someone wants to buy an iPhone, who cares. It's Palm's problem/fault. Not mine. If I wanted to do free marketing, I'd be an Apple fanboy.

These companies are making millions/billions off consumers. And still, some of the same consumers defend the company every step of the way. It baffles me..
  9.    #9  
    I suppose Bruba, it's my underdog attitude that makes me root for the pre, and root the pre for that matter. It must be from rooting for cleveland sports all my life. Heck I rooted for apple until they broke my heart with the iphone / at&t deal, and even that I had to experience on my own. I wish I could sit back and just say, I don't care what you're doing over there. I'm just not that type. I see someone with an Iphone and I say, are you happy? Why? What is it about the phone that makes you happy? IF they love the features of the phone that it does best, then I can go about my day. If they brign up something that I can help with, like, Oh i liek it but it costs me an arm and a leg. Then I feel like I've helped that person by suggesting he do what I did. Sell the iphone for $400 pay off at&T and buy a palm pre, experience nearly an identical browser (if they use it for web mainly) and save $600.

I had to do all this marketing in my own head to convince myself to switch phones, I essentially sold myself a palm pre by weighing out it's features. Is it buyers remorse that I still try to promote and defend my decision with creative ideas? Maybe, I don't rule out self psychoanalysis, but a diagnosis made by the insane can hardly be reliable.

However I do think buyers remorse is what a lot of IPHONE owner do, because it's such a large number to justify. That's why I switched, I was forcing myself to try and use some stupid app just to get my money's worth.

The thoughts about Palm's marketing company hiring anyone more capable than this forum again sparks my underdog nature. As a small marketing company, with a gloomy website, I have the ability to pitch bigger companies strange, innovative products every day for 1/25 the price of the competition.

This is where in my personal company, I need someone like tntsniper, to help with presentation, but companies are always looking for the next innovative marketing tactic, and rouge agencies throwing out ideas like I do, do get work.

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain by being honest and ambitious.
    I've just tonight, met you and tnt, and hopefully we can help each other in the future.

I'm sure, absolutely positive, that this forum markets the palm better than anything else I've ever seen, and Palm should be honored to have such personal in here.
    i say to attack the iphone just like mac attacks windows to gain more customers.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    i say to attack the iphone just like mac attacks windows to gain more customers.
    your profile photo backs up your opinion!
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    By seeing how the iPhone gets mentioned in about every other topic on this forum, I think cognitive dissonance is just as much present over here as it is on any Apple forum. This, plus all the whining, plus all the 'Palm should be doing this and this' on this forum, in my opinion, isn't helping at all.

The homebrew scene and community. The people who're building something, without Palm stopping them. That's great!

For every person you walk up to with an iPhone, there are 5 Apple fanboys who walk up to someone with a Palm Pre. I would be annoyed as hell if I had an iPhone and someone would walk up to me talking about the Palm Pre. And I would be just as annoyed if someone with in iPhone would walk up to me now.

Again, these are companies making billions off you. Support dying species. Support starving children in Africa, if you will. Don't support Palm or Apple..
  13.    #13  
    You causes are not in the same category, we support palm and apple because we want them to have the resources to develop features and devices that we will use to increase quality of life. The charities we contribute to are donations and we should expect nothing back.

I think the big difference is with apple is, they don't listen, so there is no reason to carry an apple flag. However for the reasons stated above, if palm listens, then I will do my part to help them deliver products that I want. Sure I handed them $300 a few weeks ago, but if I don't' make my concerns known, and promote the features that I feel will also increase the quality of life of others, then palm the company, may never get the revenue to continue making devices I've appreciated since the Palm 7.

And by walk up and confront an Iphone user, no lol, I wouldn't bug someone on the train. But if they were in my family over dinner, or a good friend who liked talking tech, I'd probably bring it up.

It's not like the palm pre is my personal jesus christ, and I'm walking around with a bottle of prepre and baptizing the tattered masses. Though that two would make a funny commercial, one which I'll produce for $1300
    Thanks tntsniper for your evaluation.
    Though I am slightly insulted by the college/highschool remark, no, I have a real business with a uniforms and everything (major league reference), and I love feedback.

The website was made to look like my childhood on a monochrome computer. I've been doing graphic design since 1995 and don't want to do it the rest of my life, I want to run a business.

I also do not want to look like everyone else. (edit: not jabbing at you personally here) Your suggestion to appeal bright, inviting, happy, professional, is something everyone and their mother can say. Actually I'm fairly certain my mother does say that about my website.

Especially in the market right now, the WWW is so full of glittery gradients and glowing bubly web 2.0 fun, I guess when I sat down to do my site a little rebellion started and since my clients want glitter, happy, diagonal-lined-rounded-corners, and I was free to do what I wanted. mrdigital.com was created.

I'd agree that the content is lacking, that has to do with being the owner and part time producer of a company, when I get to the point where I have time to work on my own web site, I'm probably not working hard enough.

That said, I will be hiring a graphic designer soon, who if I'm paying salary would be more than welcome to run some web ideas by me. In the meantime, myself and a business partner are targeting niche areas of interest. Trying to find that magic combination that will allow us to surface regionally.

If I may offer so advice: While design is dissected in books and classrooms, you can't make a difference with out the root different. I'm not throwing you on that pile of smiley marketing girls and brown nosing agencies, I'm just saying your note made me think about why it's good to go a different route every now an then, and I hope I can remind everyone to get out there from time to time.

...and my website, the first of many I assure you. You looking for work in the Akron Cleveland area?
    I work out of Warren, Oh as an accounts manager for a food distribution company. I live in PA, so I travel quite a bit of distance to get to work. As far as a job, you'd have to come up with a proposition and obviously review my work, but right now I do web design and graphic design on the side.