Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    How does the Pre OS differ from Android? Are they similar or totally different?
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Here is a good comparison.

Android vs. webOS
    hmm... kinda like "what's the difference between a Mac and a PC?" or " between a BMW and an Audi"...

They are both multitasking mobile OS's based on Linux that are being used to run smartphones by different companies. They are generally similar in capabilities. Pre OS (WebOS) is proprietary to Palm whereas Android is open-ish to anyone. Otherwise they are totally different in UI, look, apps, etc.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    How does the Pre OS differ from Android? Are they similar or totally different?
    Mostly the UI and supporting frame work. Once you are in the heart of the system, the differences are related to drivers, scheduling and memory management choices made by the implementers.

Consider that the Hardware running the Palm Pre and Android platforms is approximately (this is, again, a response intended for lay people) more powerful than desktop computers of the late 1990s.

The main advantage of Android is that as an open system it is on a wider range of hardware and it's UI is customizable by the implementers.

Palm's UI much like Windows, likely won't change for long periods of time.

Anyway, the differences in developing Apps for the platforms is significant since Android uses Google's optimized java derivative. The Palm Mojo SDK has some issue with it still, but also use off the shelf high languages.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Great article Ray, thanks. I think in the long run, Apple and BB should be afraid, they should be very afraid. These two new operating systems really look like the future to me. I had the Pre for only 24 hours and had to take it back because Sprint would not pick up at my house. Now I am waiting for VZ to get the Pre or the HTC Magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    I had the Pre for only 24 hours and had to take it back because Sprint would not pick up at my house.
    If you really like the Pre and Sprint works well for you in most place except your house, then you might want to consider the Airave. It is a femtocell that is specifically designed to help out with reception in people's houses by acting as a mini-Sprint cell tower, working of a broadband Internet connection (presuming that you have a good Internet connection at your house).

Sprint has been giving out Airaves for free including service (though this is not guaranteed -- the nominal cost for the Airave is $99 plus $5/mo).

If bad reception at your house is your major problem with the Pre+Sprint, it *is* generally fixable...