Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Hey all...long time reader, extremely infrequent poster. I finally got a Pre the other day and I'm loving it, but I have one issue that I hope I'm posting in the correct forum to get some insight into it.

When I turn WiFi on, I am able to connect perfectly to my home network (which is a WPA protected network.) However, at the local mall which has free WiFi, whenever I attempt to connect it tells me "Association Failed." This happens on two different networks in the mall. Now I realize my sample size is pretty small, but the interesting thing is that two of my friends have Pres and are able to connect to the mall networks without any problems.

I was wondering if there were some settings I didn't have correct or if I'm just missing something really obvious - I've only had the phone for a few days and I could easily exchange it, but the hassles that go along with that are some I'd like to avoid (such as doing the ESN swap, redownloading all my apps, manually re-linking contacts, etc.) and I have a pretty solid piece of hardware with very little slider play and only 2 dead (or stuck) pixels that I never notice unless there is a dark color being displayed on the screen in those areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading! (And yes, I did a search and only found 1 other poster that was having a similar problem, and it did not explain why mine works on one network but not another.)
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Anyone?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I have been able to connect on other WiFi networks w/o the problem you are having. Occassionally, even the free WiFis require an acceptance of their Terms & Conditions, but once I have done that, I have had no problems. Sorry I can't be of much help.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodocus View Post
    Hey all...long time reader, extremely infrequent poster. I finally got a Pre the other day and I'm loving it, but I have one issue that I hope I'm posting in the correct forum to get some insight into it.

When I turn WiFi on, I am able to connect perfectly to my home network (which is a WPA protected network.) However, at the local mall which has free WiFi, whenever I attempt to connect it tells me "Association Failed." This happens on two different networks in the mall. Now I realize my sample size is pretty small, but the interesting thing is that two of my friends have Pres and are able to connect to the mall networks without any problems.

I was wondering if there were some settings I didn't have correct or if I'm just missing something really obvious - I've only had the phone for a few days and I could easily exchange it, but the hassles that go along with that are some I'd like to avoid (such as doing the ESN swap, redownloading all my apps, manually re-linking contacts, etc.) and I have a pretty solid piece of hardware with very little slider play and only 2 dead (or stuck) pixels that I never notice unless there is a dark color being displayed on the screen in those areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading! (And yes, I did a search and only found 1 other poster that was having a similar problem, and it did not explain why mine works on one network but not another.)
    I had this issue in Miami airport. I do not know a solution... but think it has to do with accepting their terms and conditions.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Yeah, I can see that might be an issue...wonder how my friends got around it.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    How are you connecting to WiFi? via the upper right corner where the batt indicator is, or via the launcher page for WiFi?
    I'm having a similar problem at work. I tried to reply to my company's terms and conditions witha a username and password which weren't accepted. Now when I open my browser and can't get that page anymore. My WIFI launcher page shows that I am connected to the network and the icon shows good WIFI signal strength but I get the message that "page won't load". How do I get the terms and conditions page to come up. I tried clearing cookies and cache.
    Thanks,
    Jay
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    So I went to the mall and I was eventually able to get on WiFi there, but I had to actually turn on airplane mode (so that it wouldn't try to connect over EVDO) and then turn on WiFi, have a browser open, and try a few times to connect before I could get to the Terms of Service acceptance page. Once I got there, I accepted and was able to use the WiFi from then on...but there has to be an easier way, cause my friends don't seem to have to go through that whole process to get online.