Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been pretty lazy... since I got my second Pre in the middle of June, I have never once deleted a single text message. I was curious today to see how far back the Pre stores text messages and went to the person that I send my first text from my new Pre to. Her and I seem to talk a lot since it took about 5 mins to scroll through the entire list, and sure enough the very first text message I sent from that phone was there.

I am almost afraid trying to delete anything because on my Sprint Touch, doing that froze the phone up for a long while, I had to do a soft reset to get it going again.

I wonder how much space all those texts take up, seeing how I average about 2000 a month....

How do you guys manage your texts?
    Well, let's see. 2000*140char=280,000 chars=280,000 bytes=280kB. And that's assuming that you use all 140 characters. But there's probably some overhead in there too, so just for the heck of it, let's round way up to 500 kB. So half a MB per month. At that rate, you would use 6 MB per year. That's not really an awful lot of data. But I suspect that the text message storage is limited to some amount and the Pre will probably start deleting the oldest messages automatically or prompt you to do it.

I don't personally plan on deleting any text messages ever. I don't delete emails either. Too many times in my life I have deleted something and then wanted it later. And then you find yourself having to go through this little decision process when you are trying to decide whether to delete or not. I say, don't delete.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Never did on my 755, and same for the Pre.
  4. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I delete threads that haven't been active within 2 days. i am the same on my centro. I hate more than 5 people on my screen at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Well, let's see. 2000*140char=280,000 chars=280,000 bytes=280kB. And that's assuming that you use all 140 characters. But there's probably some overhead in there too, so just for the heck of it, let's round way up to 500 kB. So half a MB per month. At that rate, you would use 6 MB per year. That's not really an awful lot of data. But I suspect that the text message storage is limited to some amount and the Pre will probably start deleting the oldest messages automatically or prompt you to do it.

I don't personally plan on deleting any text messages ever. I don't delete emails either. Too many times in my life I have deleted something and then wanted it later. And then you find yourself having to go through this little decision process when you are trying to decide whether to delete or not. I say, don't delete.
    Isn't it 160 characters? 140 is Twitter, right? Or do I have these wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    I delete threads that haven't been active within 2 days.
    I do this too, I don't like when my screen is full of inactive conversations.
    since my convos tend to switch topics from day to day, i delete at the end of every day.
    I'm BACK!!!
    Treo 650 -> Treo 755p-> iPhone 3g -> Palm Pre

Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    It is 160 characters for text messages. Twitter is 140 characters.
    i don't delete my messages
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

I thought it was 160 characters?
    just did thanks!
  12. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiasuko View Post
    I do this too, I don't like when my screen is full of inactive conversations.
    Yea if my list doesn't fit on one "page" without scrolling I delete the threads I don't need.
    i'm too lazy to delete
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I just went through and deleted every thread. No reason to save mine and I prefer to now have that history stored in the phone should I lose it. I do not use a password on the phone. I find the password to be more of a hassle than its worth.

I would like to try the remote wipe feature to see how it works should I lose the phone.
    i delete all of my FB updates which come via text. my messages I never do. On my Treo and Centro, more then once i LOST all of my test messages. Not sure what the bug was or how i got it, but my phone had it,

once thing the pre doesn;t do (or at least i don't know how) is give you a total number of messages , or even of the threads.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I went thru and deleted mine and now when i get new ones they dont stay on the conversations list, but if a do an alphabetical search the deleted ones are still under the persons name. Because of this I have lost messages and I wonder if this is a bug or just a problem with my specific phone.
    As soon as i'm done with the conversation, neat freak...
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybear View Post
    I went thru and deleted mine and now when i get new ones they dont stay on the conversations list, but if a do an alphabetical search the deleted ones are still under the persons name. Because of this I have lost messages and I wonder if this is a bug or just a problem with my specific phone.
    I've had this same problem recently. No way to fix it that I have found so far. Resets haven't helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Yep, sorry about that. It is 160, and my 140 was wrong. For 2000 messages at 160 characters, that would give you 320,000 bytes. I would still round up to 500kB, so I think it's within the slop of my original calculation.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    never. with how easy it is to type a few characters of someones name to pull up their chat history, I don't feel the need to be a neat freak. The "only enough to fit on a screen" doesn't really hold relevance to me on this phone. I'd much rather have my full chat history.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast