View Poll Results: Is this crack my fault or not?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you left it extreme cold/hot or dropped it

55 14.40%
  • No, I dont think you're responsible for the crack

223 58.38%
  • Who knows?

104 27.23%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Before I rant, no my pre isnt cracked and yes I love the pre although I am on my 4th one now for other reasons, all hardware related. Thats why my post comes into play. How many of us at this point would still own the pre if it didnt have the awesome web OS running on it with a tun of potential? Because quite frankly the hardware end has been lacking bigtime! And no I don't wanna hear get a pixie! I am not looking to downgrade! I'm not looking for a bulletproof phone, but out of the box and like many have said after a month's worth of use "babying" there phone, there shouldnt be the wide spread issuse that many of us are having. Whether it be cracked screens, oreo affect, bubbles, pixels, loose slider, creaking, ect..... But I love the Web OS is what I keep teling myself!
    is the crack coming from repeated battery door removal / charging?
    can you show a picture of the upper right hand corner of the phone, near the power switch, but it needs to be open.
    I dropped mine when the slider was open. it hit there and it cracked in the exact same way.
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Palm offered to repair my phone... but I would have to send it in and then wait 5-7 days for repair and they would send it back... so I would have no phone for like 2 weeks.. I cant do that
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    You must not work retail!!!
    I can tell you customers can lie and do sometimes, not always. I can't tell you how many customers say, "No, I didnt drop my phone in the water", and then you open it up and the indicators show otherwise.
    One bad apple can spoil the bunch. Sorry, but I can't always take the customers word.
    Now, when you see a problem like this over and over, that is a different story. After awhile you have to realize there may be a manufacturers issue.
    hit the nail on the head! I worked counter for years, and people will lie their asses off. Now, on the flip side, its usually best to treat the customer with respect and give them what they want, and reward honesty. If its a quick check to see if they're dishonest (like the water damage thing), do it and call 'em on it - thats what I would do from behind the counter.

As a customer, I know the guy Im about to talk with isnt going to believe me and has probably already had his fair share of jerks for the day. I would approach and explain calmly that this ugly crack is spreading and that the phone truly isnt abused, of course you (the clerk) must hear that a lot, but Im not a 17 yr old chick with a dog in my purse, right? (Im not trying to be a jerk, most guys at a counter will laugh at this). Explain that it would make a great replacement for someone who perhaps HAS damaged their phone, but that for a business user it just wont do - so would it be possible to swap it out since I (the customer) have not had a device return, and have been a loyal customer for some years? Or will I have to take my business to another store? Then proceed to offer to purchase some accessories - it can help them to pry their mind open.

It is not unreasonable to suggest that a slightly damaged unit be used as a "questionable" replacement for the guy who really did drop his phone, and is outside the 30 day window - I would warranty swap items in a similar manner to help a guy out, but he knew if he came back with damaged goods he wouldnt get helped again. If he was appreciative and remained a decent customer, he would get decent treatment.

Of course, the cell phone world is a bit different than where I came from, but the idea is the same: respect. Making the guys day a bit easier is always a good call too, as well as dealing with management when possible - the little guys hate getting yelled at.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    but Im not a 17 yr old chick with a dog in my purse, right?
    lmao...
    Don't panic, there will be plenty of time for that later.
    Speaking from more recent work experience, using the phrase "design flaw" is pretty harsh. There is an issue, and Palm will likely get involved and try to discover where the issue is. It could be something as simple as where the part is stressed when its injection molded, and then ejected from the mold. These kinds of small things are difficult to control, especially when you outsource your manufacturing and production. This is a Gen 1 device, and is new in many ways. Its unique in many other ways. So lets give credit where its due: Palm did pretty darn well.

There are those of you that believe that by the time you lay your hands on something, it should be perfect. Maybe it should be, but Im here to tell you that it simply isnt possible. Whether detectable by the user or not, any 'new' product will have flaws, and will be revised throughout their lifecycle to capture and address those flaws. Could something perfect be made? Of course! but I doubt anyone would buy it! People already complain about the price and how long Palm took to ship these things. They announced the product in February and shipped in June. In my world, you're lucky to get the TOOLS done in that amount of time! Let alone get the first quantity of parts shot, let alone assembled!!

We have to face the fact that we're early adopters and will be the pool of guinea pigs that will find all the flaws for Palm to go and fix. The next wave of consumers will be the ones that will get the 'best' devices; but hey, we had them first!

The bottom line is, there are a few issues, and those issues could be corrected pretty quickly, and likely will be. But when you're building thousands at a time, or perhaps in a week, how many get through with those 'flaws' before its fixed? They cant scrap that amount of merchandise, because not all of it will fail, and rework is a PITA because it can be more troublesome to take something apart than it was to put it together!

I would suggest contact Palm if you're outside the 30 days, and relate to them the issues. In the mean time, while you ship yours back and they ship you a new one, try to work out a deal with sprint to activate your old phone on your acct, or buy a POS refurb for the meantime so you at least have a phone, would probably be possible to work out some sort of credit from sprint - you may have to call customer service a few times to get someone nice enough to help, but lately Ive had great responses from the CS dept at sprint. A little respect and a lot of honesty can go a long way with these kinds of people, and the whole ordeal tends to go smoother for all involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Are you implying that one shouldn't carry a phone in a front pocket?
    Most phones out now can't really take the stress and pressure of being in a pants pocket. Touch screen and slider phones, especially, shouldn't be kept there. Over time, it's just asking for it. I wish that phone OEMs would build phones with better tolerances, but it is what it is and anyone who uses a phone should be aware that it will cause issues.
    I voted that I don't think that should be your fault. It looks like a stress crack. If they think it's heat, maybe that heat came from your Pre. I guess we need to add shock and heat sensors to our phone so that the can't use that lame excuse anymore!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith5237 View Post
    Most phones out now can't really take the stress and pressure of being in a pants pocket. Touch screen and slider phones, especially, shouldn't be kept there. Over time, it's just asking for it. I wish that phone OEMs would build phones with better tolerances, but it is what it is and anyone who uses a phone should be aware that it will cause issues.
    I hate hearing that, its not the tolerances. Its the demands of the people. We all want smaller, lighter, faster, cheaper. This drives engineers to cut costs where possible, and with devices made out of country, weight is a big factor. Add to that the fact that moving parts WEAR down over time. This is one of the reasons touchscreens even exist - remember the days of the debit machine that had the physical keys? Yeah, the box with half the buttons gone or not working. Heck, public phones - remember those? The keys wouldnt always work and were subject to all sorts of torture. Enter the touchscreen: harder to kill an individual button, cost was about the same, and with proper steps taken, they're more robust.

Look at the Pre, just look at it. Its got a 1300 mah li-ion battery, with a charger for it built in (Ive built chargers for these batteries, they're hard to make small!), antennas and drivers and electronics for a camera, phone, wifi, bluetooth and processing as well as memory, display circuits and then its all housed in a mechancial assembly which must already maintain some pretty darn close 'tolerances'. Most people dont 'get' what a tolerance is either: its a working set of dimensions that a part can be made to and still work. Now, take for example the 'oreo' effect. Pretend you're the engineer, here we go:

slider mechanism, needs:
    robust
    detent in both positions

slider mechanism wants:
    little slop
    smooth feel
    not easy to jam or clog

As an engineer, I happen to know that parts of this scale need 1-3 thousands (.001-.003 inches, smaller than the width of your hair!) to slide well, and not bind. More if I use plastic to slide against, but Im going to use small metal tabs, and perhaps a nylon pad to help smooth things out.

Now, The slider mechanism is about 1.5" wide, +-.002 (.004 tolerance) is easy in a machined part, but this thing needs to cost very little, so a stamping is in order, maybe with some post machine work. This gives means I can likely produce a part with a +-.005 tolerance, and not have much scrap. But heck, thats a total of .010", which isnt much, but when you look at only needing .002 to slide, thats 5x more! thats 5x more movement, and then you look at how the mechanism sits on those tracks, .010 can translate to .080 movement real quick. Wow, okay, then let me pull those tolerances back: now its more expensive, too expensive. Tighter tolerance means more inspection, changing tools sooner before they wear out, and having to keep a closer eye on parts. Okay, I buy some new tools, or change processes and now I made it work with only a +-.0007 and can keep the low side to .0013 clearance, this phone is tight! Uh oh.. lint... damn, now my phone wont slide.

Ive been through this cycle, too loose is too loose for some, and yet for others will tighten up as debris and other garbage gets into the mechanism. For others, the tight phone is great but the guy with it in his pants pocket that hasnt been washed in 15 years gets a bunch of gunk in there and the phone locks up while sliding. Its a delicate balance.

Thats not saying the phone is perfect, or that we should live with it either. Just try to understand that there is quite a bit invovled, eventually the processes and manufacturing will get nailed down to a point where its no longer an issue. Until then: welcome to the world of rev 1 ownership

BTW, I personally would have gone with a double sided track with a headed slider mechanism, lots easier to hold clearances on and would force the phone 'tight' as would a longer nylon slider pad that engages more of the slider in the sheetmetal. Additional guidance from a center lug or roller could have been had and stabilized the phone also - but thats just from a cursory glance within the insides. Besides... what do I know? Ive only been making parts like these a few years...
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I had a crack form there also then a few day's later a crack on the other side started..I called sprint and they told me i would have to use a ins. claim on it..I complained and called back and spoke to another rep. and they sent me a new on over night.. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I voted that I don't think that should be your fault. It looks like a stress crack. If they think it's heat, maybe that heat came from your Pre. I guess we need to add shock and heat sensors to our phone so that the can't use that lame excuse anymore!
    Now add a hygrometer in there too! Then we could make weatherocks from our phones...

Honestly, Im not sure why a thermocouple wanst added, or at least some temp sensor - could be polled to report ambient conditions. Same for a gage pressure xducer.

We already have accelerometers - when it detects a free-fall, they should switch over to a 100hz polling frequency to record the impact acceleration I bet their natural frequency is too low though and wouldnt record the drop, or would over-exaggerate the drop.
    I have the same crack on mine i had it since launch date never dropped phone i am a freak i baby my phone. Went to sprint store yesterday and was told it is cosmetic and they don't cover that i should go through insurance and complained i am not doing that why should i put 100 dollars out of my pocket. They gave me a hard time said as long as phone worked they would not do anything. Left store went to car to call customer service and phone kept going in or out of roam. Went back in complained that phone was not holding signal now they ordered me a new phone. I was pissed

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    Besides... what do I know? Ive only been making parts like these a few years...
    I'm not discounting what you posted, because it's valid. My point, though, is that OEMs for phones, and most gadgets these days, fail to account or predict how customers will use and abuse devices.

Take charging ports for example. It's one thing to engineer a port for a phone to charge. It's quite another to make a port that is able to withstand people using the device and constantly moving it while charging. I've heard time and again, "it's within the designed tolerances." Well, that design simply failed to take into account actual use over time. It doesn't even need to be the "average" user. They need to account for people who are rough on devices. If 15% of people are more rough than average and 15% of phones fail because of it, that's a pretty high rate.

As this thread is evidence, most people don't think anything about putting their phone in a pocket. If companies aren't going to design a phone that accommodates that then they need to work to change that perception (including a decent side case/holster with high end devices is a good start).

Otherwise, the industry will keep having issues where it has to be communicated, "you shouldn't talk on it while charging/ you shouldn't keep it in your pocket/ you shouldn't keep it pressed to your body while running/ etc." It's over and over again that a new phone model is released and my first impression is, "oh, (insert random part here) isn't going to last..."

Besides, what do I know? I've only been selling the devices, repairing them, and dealing with the repercussions for a few years. My point in this isn't to discount the engineering end- it's that the engineering, marketing, sales, and average user have overall poor communication between the parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by madolen View Post
    Palm offered to repair my phone... but I would have to send it in and then wait 5-7 days for repair and they would send it back... so I would have no phone for like 2 weeks.. I cant do that
    should have asked for a loner lol i bet they would have done it too .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I got the same exact crack... six days after the 30-day period. I was wiling to live with it until it spread to the screen. I had never dropped it. I live in Seattle where the weather never gets too hot or too cold.

I ended up biting the bullet and paying $119 for a "new" phone.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    hi
    after seeing this post and realizing how common the crack is on the early phones, I brought mine to the sprint store here in la. the manager said she hasn't see any cracks like that come back to the store but after seeing the damage gave the ok for a replacement.
    just received my replacement tonight

Fred
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I have the exact same crack as well. I thought I was just going to have to just "deal with it", but after reading this thread, I'm thinking otherwise. On the phone with Palm now.
    Last edited by Phillykef; 09/24/2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Is there a thread about this on the Palm forums? My crack is starting to spread and I want to take it back to Sprint for a new phone. I want to bring some ammo.

Also aren't Sprint stores supposed to cover Palm warranties?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast