View Poll Results: Is this crack my fault or not?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you left it extreme cold/hot or dropped it

55 14.40%
  • No, I dont think you're responsible for the crack

223 58.38%
  • Who knows?

104 27.23%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Wow, this looks like a picture of my phone. I have the exact same crack stemming from the port as well. :-(
    aka lunareclipse
    You can find me here:
    Twitter
    Pre Themes
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    If they can "tell it isn't a defect" they sure can tell if the phone was dropped. Looking at the OP's picture, I see no evidence of it being dropped. The crack also looks to have come from the port which isn't surprising since that is a stress point.

Sprint owes it's customers the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Obviously, Sprint and Palm can't tell for sure if someone...

-dropped the phone
    -or if the crack developed on its own, like it did on my first Pre near the USB slot

And while a case and screen cover will "protect" your phone from getting scratched in your pocket or purse... most of them will do little if the phone is dropped.

The phone's design makes it tough for a case to really do its job... Because Pre cases come in two parts to accommodate the slider...

Everyone I know (I have eight friends with the Pre) that's dropped their Pre... First smack, case pops off. Bounce. Second smack, phone cracks.

How many times have you dropped one of your old handsets over its lifetime?

My old Moto Q was pretty beat up when I upgraded to the Pre, but I realize the Pre will NEVER take the pounding that the Q did.

Although Sprint replaced my first Pre for free with a new one, I'd start saving now. We'll all need $100 on standby for an insurance claim sooner or later.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    i have the EXACT same usb port crack...looking at mine right now.

Happend 2 days ago, awating replacement from Palm waranty

call them at 877-426-3777
    I don't imagine it'll be long before they start putting those "shock watch" stickers in phones, just like they put the water damage indicator in them now.

For that matter, since phones are coming with an accelerometer anyway, I'd imagine it's very possible to install some code that'll write high-g-force events to a log file. "Your phone is cracked, eh? Well look at that, your shock watch in the phone says your phone encounter a shock exceeding 10 Gs, not our fault, sorry".
    Had the same crack, never dropped the phone. Replaced it at Best Buy, still in the return period.
    i have the same crack this is crap palm just told me is was not covered im not paying 100$ for a new phone when i didn't break it in the first place this is crap im so pissed
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thedecline View Post
    i have the same crack this is crap palm just told me is was not covered im not paying 100$ for a new phone when i didn't break it in the first place this is crap im so pissed
    Call back 407-531-4496, Ask them why they are replacing everybody elses and not yours, It is clearly a defect. Point them to their own http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...&thread.id=145
    and this forum stating how everybodys is cracking in the exact same place.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi4u View Post
    Call back 407-531-4496, Ask them why they are replacing everybody elses and not yours, It is clearly a defect. Point them to their own http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...&thread.id=145
    and this forum stating how everybodys is cracking in the exact same place.
    I guess I need to call back. I just talked to Palm and they said that cracks are considered "user damage" and expires the phone's 1 year warranty. I'll try again tommorow.
    obviously a design flaw...its happened at a stress point...
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This is crazy, I have the same exact crack too. Never dropped the phone, had the rocketfish snap on case on. Just bought a touchstone, and took off the case to put the new touchstone back on, and noticed this crack. Has anyone had this crack and see it propogate into the screen?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm a tight wad... But I have to pay $30.00 for warranty coverage through Palm on something that is obviously a design flaw?
    Your phone looks exactly like mine. I had an Invisible Shield on it since day 1 and I have never dropped the phone. I think it is some sort of stress fracture and is an obvious problem for a lot of people.

My Pre is working flawlessly (no oreo, no dropped calls etc.) so I don't plan to exchange it unless the crack travels to the actual screen. So far so good, it doesn't appear that the crack is getting bigger. I'm hoping the IS keeps it from spreading (not sure it helps, but keeping my fingers crossed).
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    It's gotta be a design flaw. There are MANY people who have the SAME crack (including ME) and they haven't abused their phone either. How come it always cracks on that corner and not the other?
    mine just started a small crack like that too. is this covered under warranty in the sense that i can just get a new phone and not have to make an insurance cliam (rather not pay a deductible and worry about it happening again for something not caused by user damage).
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    i have not dropped my phone *yet* have no cracks but i will take the advice ive read here and put that $100 away for when it comes time to replace it.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    That could be a pic of MY pre ... Looks identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    That could be a pic of MY pre ... Looks identical.
    looks like mine too......without the crack
    [QUOTE=ABBlockhead;1829651]It doesn't matter what any of us thinks, and it shouldn't matter what Sprint thinks. You're the customer, and if you say you didn't drop the thing, you didn't drop it, end of story.

QUOTE]

You must not work retail!!!
    I can tell you customers can lie and do sometimes, not always. I can't tell you how many customers say, "No, I didnt drop my phone in the water", and then you open it up and the indicators show otherwise.
    One bad apple can spoil the bunch. Sorry, but I can't always take the customers word.
    Now, when you see a problem like this over and over, that is a different story. After awhile you have to realize there may be a manufacturers issue.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Finally went into Sprint to replace my phone for spreading cracks. It actually went smoothly...read about this new "give me 5" thing here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...store-now.html
    I've opened my battery door once to see the design and stuff behind it (and because I ordered a 2800 maH high capacity battery, likely to be here later this week), and I've dropped my Pre off the couch ONCE (a few inches, a foot even above the ground) and nothing like a crack has developed yet.... **Knock on wood** I'll definently call Palm to get it replace if Sprint says "STFU IT WAS YOU."
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I have the same crack on my phone coming from the same place and spreading. I'll post a pic for you in the am.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast