View Poll Results: Is this crack my fault or not?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you left it extreme cold/hot or dropped it

55 14.40%
  • No, I dont think you're responsible for the crack

223 58.38%
  • Who knows?

104 27.23%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    No, I had one just like that but was at the top.. I created a thread and posted a pic.. too lazy to search

but they replaced it.. i got a refurb of course, but its fine..
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I'd call back and demand they replace it. Or call Sprint's account services/retentions to get them to waive the deductable. There is no way I keep a defective phone and wait for it to develope some other issue to use the insurance.
    There are way too many post/threads/stories/news reports on this issue for them to deny it is an issue.
    I just did the chat thing with Sprint and sent them a link to this entry. I told them to look around, there are many many others like this. The rep said she couldn't just replace my phone and gave me this link: Cracked Palm Pre Screen and:
    Manufacturer
    Palm Inc.
    950 W. Maude Ave.
    Sunnyvale, CA 94085
    Phone: 813-313-4919
    Palm USA - Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses

Guess I'm going to go call Palm now.
    Quote Originally Posted by creativemeat View Post
    Yes
    I think all the new phones coming out are made way too thin and fragile. I think they are all too thin and fragile to carry in a front pants pocket. Put a DVD in your front pants pocket and sit down, then notice how much the DVD bends. You can go to the iPhone forums and read about cracks. My wife cracked the screen on your Kyrocera flip phone by carrying it in her front jeans pocket.

That's just my 2 cents. I think it's a contributing factor in a lot of the cracks. Others will disagree.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

A common tactic for Sprint/Palm is to claim that this is not a known issue.

The only real way to know for sure if it is known is to involve a credible third party.

I filed official documents with both companies through my local AGs office and can say definitivly that this is a known issue and anyone who says otherwise is uninformed or not authorized to say whether it is or not.

PM me for case #s and details.
    Thank you
    The same thing happened to my first Pre. Spring exchanged it with a new Pre free of charge. The exchange was made in a store, not over the phone.

You should absoutely not tolerate this obvious defect that many, many customers have experienced with the Pre.

My store wanted $100 for the exchange, but I politely explained they could shove that $100 up their tight ***holes... and that my $100 rebate and the ridiculous $100 they wanted me to pay would go straight towards contract cancellation.

I was out of my 30-day return window.

Manager comes out, orders new phone, it arrived next day.

It also helps to start talking about the phone's horrible build quality in front of other customers in the store.

Basically, if you don't get what you want...

Drive to another Sprint store...
    Repeat until desired result is achieved...
    Or be a huge ****...

Don't settle until you get what you want.

And yes, I'd gladly drop Sprint in a heartbeat if they treated me the same way they're treating you.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    count me in. I have a crack near the center button and it is starting to annoy me. The thing Im a little upset about is that I have a screen protector since day one and to find a crack on the phone that you know its not your fault...just bugs me.

Sprint and Palm need to get together and work this out ASAP. no make that ASANow!
    I have the same identical crack. WTF!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    I just did the chat thing with Sprint and sent them a link to this entry. I told them to look around, there are many many others like this. The rep said she couldn't just replace my phone and gave me this link: Cracked Palm Pre Screen and:
    Manufacturer
    Palm Inc.
    950 W. Maude Ave.
    Sunnyvale, CA 94085
    Phone: 813-313-4919

Guess I'm going to go call Palm now.
    5 minutes on the phone with Palm and I have a replacement, very nice guy. Here's the options:
    • If you are in the 30 days, go to the store and exchange
    • Send in your phone and Palm will send out replacement
    • Use Credit Card and pay $30 to have Palm send out phone, when you get it, send yours back.

I bought my Pre on June 9th, so option 1 was out...
    I would have used option 3, but I do not have a credit card and they do not take debit cards. This option will put a hold on $400 on the card in case you do not return your defective phone. As soon as they get your phone, that hold is off and only the $30 is charged to your card.

I am waiting on an email with the instructions on how to return my phone. Yes I will be out with no phone for 5-7 business days.

We have a One Year Hardware Warranted on the Pre. So, if you have cracks, contact Palm.
    I have the exact same crack, in the exact same spot.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I had the exact same crack and didn't consider it a big deal. Over about a week it spread up and involved the screen and I had to replace it. I didn't even bother calling and asking for a replacement, just went the Asurion route. I admit I dropped it pretty hard 2 or 3 times and once onto carpet when the USB cable was attached.
    Putting the phone in the microwave for a second or two, while on a call, has been rumored to cause "equipment failure."
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Do you carry the phone in your front pants pocket?

Are you implying that one shouldn't carry a phone in a front pocket?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Everyone who has the same crack, can you take a pic and post it in this thread? This is great ammo for the inevitable "you broke it" line from Sprint. I will post up my pic as soon as I can find a camera here at work.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    i have the front faced covered with the invisible shield and i bought a 20 dollar protector from best buy. 2 weeks ago I saw my palm pre fly out of my hands and land 4ft. away from me in cement and then bounce twice and then slide like 1ft. Im not saying my palm pre is super tough or resistant because i might be due to the fact that i have the shield and potector but incredibly nothing happened to the screen. i havent taken of the cover to see if it has ssmall cracks and im afraid to do it but so far havent seen any arround the usb port =)

BUY A PROTECTOR FOR YOUR PRES GUYS!!!
    I know it makes it look bulky but hey it will last longer
    My screen is aweful now. I got the "Oreo effect"...I am sure from dropping it once or thrice...Then, unknowningly to me, my Pre decided to get a giant crack under the top layer of the screen...Making it completely non-responsive to touch commands, and almost completely useless...

I went to Sprint. Showed them the wobble. Couple minutes later it was, "Would you like this shipped to your house or to this store..?" Boom. Now my new (possibly refurb) Pre is en route to my house.

I am starting to really favor Sprint and their customer service...at least in CA where I am at. I have been a customer for 11 years...and they regularly acknowledge that. (Also I have 3 lines with simply everything packages, and spend ridiculous money with them for as long as I can remember.)
    I thought that was a scratch on my Pre until i saw this thread. The crack on my phone is in the same spot, its slightly smaller but, cracks grow in size over time. I intend on heading to the sprint store to get this replaced as I'm within my 30days
    Obviously, Sprint and Palm can't tell for sure if someone...

-dropped the phone
    -or if the crack developed on its own, like it did on my first Pre near the USB slot

And while a case and screen cover will "protect" your phone from getting scratched in your pocket or purse... most of them will do little if the phone is dropped.

The phone's design makes it tough for a case to really do its job... Because Pre cases come in two parts to accommodate the slider...

Everyone I know (I have eight friends with the Pre) that's dropped their Pre... First smack, case pops off. Bounce. Second smack, phone cracks.

How many times have you dropped one of your old handsets over its lifetime?

My old Moto Q was pretty beat up when I upgraded to the Pre, but I realize the Pre will NEVER take the pounding that the Q did.

Although Sprint replaced my first Pre for free with a new one, I'd start saving now. We'll all need $100 on standby for an insurance claim sooner or later.
    I have yet to drop my Pre *knock on wood* and I have the same USB crack.
    I can't believe this is an issue again, I do not have the cracks at all (phone from day one) but the Treo Pro released and those cracked much the same way.

BTW Palm has had that $25-$30 fee for a long time for a replacement, I have balked every time and they have never charged it to me.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 08/17/2009 at 05:15 PM.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast