1.    #1  
    I came from a Blackberry and noticed a difference between the efficiency of "notifications" and what sparks it when you compare the BB against the Palm Pre/webOS.

From what I understand, say for example you have a Twitter app for the Blackberry and you want to know when people reply to you, you have to keep the app open in order to do so and a small icon will pop up on top of the screen if you get an replies. Even if you have another app open and don't see the twitter app on your screen, it's still running in the background. The problem here is that when you have apps running in the background (because you want notifications), it does slow down your Blackberry noticeably.

On the other hand, notifications for a twitter app (such as Tweed) shows up on the bottom of the Palm Pre screen even when the app closed. So you don't have to worry about having the app open. You just set your notification options for Tweed, close out the app and you let the app/webOS do it's job of letting you know when you get replies.

So I guess my question is: How does the Palm Pre/webOS "check" for notifications through apps when you have them closed out? Is it's part of this "push"? I know Blackberry has push technology but only for email and texts (since it technically runs in the background ALL the time with no option of really closing it out).

Hope someone understands my question. It's kind of confusing but if you've used a blackberry before, hopefully you'll be able to answer this questions for me.
    Yes its part of push technology that Palm has in WebOS development.

It takes more juice if a lot of things are getting pushed to you, but its still very handy.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Yes its part of push technology that Palm has in WebOS development.

It takes more juice if a lot of things are getting pushed to you, but its still very handy.
    But setting notifications from 5 different apps on the Pre doesn't slow it down at all, does it? From personal experience, I have not seen a lag.

In regards to the blackberry, all the twitter apps and other apps that have notifications are required to run in the background. Even if they are "closed", if you click on "switch applications", they show up. And if you have 5 apps running in the background on a Blackberry, then forget it. It'll be so slow, you'll want to throw it out the window.
    An app would set an alarm, then shut down. When the alarm fires, the OS starts up the app in the background and feeds it into that the app configured with the alarm, if any. The app then does whatever checking it needs to do for determining if an update is required. If so, it generates a notification. If not, it sets another alarm and exits.

In the background, no CPU cycle need to occur to generate any UI. Between alarms, these programs are not in memory.

For many things, this isn't "push". Just for email and SMS. Others just poll in the background.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.