Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After waiting and researching and reading the positives and negatives, I felt it was time so I went to the Best Buy to give them my money. But they did not have a single new Pre that did not have a very noticable oreo effect. I was really disappointed. The guy said they did not have a single good phone in this regard.
    So now I'm a bit gun shy again. I'm not one to promote the negative, but I'm hoping that this is the exception and not the rule. But more than that, I don't understand how this situation could exist. After reading the posts on how the build quality has improved, why does this store not have one with improved quality?
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    So let me get this straight, a BB employee told you that all their pre's were defective? Seems odd, no?
    Definitely sounds shady.
    very shady, we dont open them and check them until we go to do an activation
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Palm Pre is the best phone out there. Those stupid bb sales people were probably paid by AT&T to market the iphone over the Pre. Dont listen to those idiots. The pre beats the iphone in every single feature.
    I find this fishy. Why would they screw a sale that way?
    I looked through...count em 8 pre today and only one didn't have the oreo peoblem. I think I lucked out because this one has the redesigned battery, new pouch, and no problems at all so far..I have had great battery power and no light bleed. Build is 7/27

I am not surprised they told you they were defective. I have been told that by three different reps from sprint and best buy...remember best buy reps are not commission so they think nothing of it when they down a product.
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    So let me get this straight, a BB employee told you that all their pre's were defective? Seems odd, no?
    I don't think the term he used was defective, just that they had the "oreo" effect. Depending on who you talk to at Sprint and/or Palm, this may or may not be a problem.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Well, something similar happened to me when I went to a Worst Buy soon after the Pre was released. I picked up the non-functioning Pre demo and was checking out the feel/slider/keyboard. A worker drone stopped by and asked me if he could help me.

"Oh, no, just checking out the Pre."
    "You like Palm?" he says. I pull out my Treo 700p. He looks at it and goes "Yeah, I think those keyboards are too small."
    I say "Way to make a sale!" and walk away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by prelover09 View Post
    Palm Pre is the best phone out there. Those stupid bb sales people were probably paid by AT&T to market the iphone over the Pre. Dont listen to those idiots. The pre beats the iphone in every single feature.

1)weak signal

2) next to no available software applications.

3) questionable build quality.

It doesn't beat the iphone in every aspect by any means.... Its simply a competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    1)weak signal

It doesn't beat the iphone in every aspect by any means.... Its simply a competitor

1. your mileage may vary. Mine has zero problems with coverage.
    2. true
    3. second batch ones (like the one I have) do not oreo, twist or have any light bleeding. Zero issues with the build quality of the newer ones.

The one place where the Pre doesn't beat the iPhone and for me, might be the most important one, is OS fluidity and responsiveness.
    Bought my bro his Pre two weeks ago... man, it's beautiful phone.
    THe Sprint Rep would NOT let me turn it on (to check for dead pixels) but build quality was solid, no OREO effect, and he said if there were any problems we could return it.

No need... phone has met his needs...

if they weren't any good there, go elsewhere... if you really want a Pre, you'll find a good version of it...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    NOW WAIT A SECOND. You guys are acting like a slight oreo is a defect. I got my pre just 2 days ago and I just took the one they handed me. It has a tiny side to side twist, and although I would LOVE a perfect one, I didn't think that counted as enough of a defect to go back and ask for a brand new phone...........is it?
    I don't get posts like these. Are stores opening multiple new pre's per sale?

The boxes are sealed with a sticker. I know damn well I wouldn't accept a Pre that didn't come from a sealed box. Posts like these make it sound like there are many unsealed "new" Pre's sitting in stores...
    The Apple Trolls are at it again! Both of my Pre's work great, great reception, no Oreo, awesome phone. The 3GS is a great phone also. This is obviously a biased post. Give me the store # to the Best Buy and I will verify this complaint. But quite frankly, it sounds like another bogus story.
    slight oreo to me if extremely slight. Mine moves not even a fraction of an inch. the ones at best buy were all extremely loose. The best buy rep who was a complete ***** by the way didn't even want to admit it. He didn't feel like I had the right to look through the phones to make sure I didn't get a bad one. I checked for dead pixels too and this is the first out of three with none. got my fingers and toes crossed that it will stay that way

quahtrader-----The boxes are only sealed on one side and can be easily opened with no sign of it. I wouldn't buy a new car without sitting in it so why would I buy a phone without holding it.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    sigh, you're making me feel like if I had just been more demanding, I could have gotten a perfectly solid pre two days ago instead of my just oh so slightly wiggly one.....
    I almost gave in and took a pre with oreo. Best buy rep was standing in front of the closet and I guess he was acting like he was opening each box to check. He came back and said they all have the same issue. I got frustrated and said I need to actually look through them and then he pulled out the first four ( all had it ) then the last 4 only 1 didn't have it. That's the one I got obviously.

Don't give up. Best buy reps from my experience in that department tend to be over worked and really don't want to go the extra mile. They are always short staffed and stressed out from my experience with them. If I didn't get my pre so cheap I wouldn't of bought it from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    1)weak signal

I always find it amazing that you don't even try to sound like you're not a troll.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    I had a Sprint Manager tell me the the phone build quality wasn't for everyone.
    In the context, he clearly meant that people who expect quality for their money shouldn't buy it.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast