Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemusic4us View Post
    After waiting and researching and reading the positives and negatives, I felt it was time so I went to the Best Buy to give them my money. But they did not have a single new Pre that did not have a very noticable oreo effect. I was really disappointed. The guy said they did not have a single good phone in this regard.
    So now I'm a bit gun shy again. I'm not one to promote the negative, but I'm hoping that this is the exception and not the rule. But more than that, I don't understand how this situation could exist. After reading the posts on how the build quality has improved, why does this store not have one with improved quality?
    Please read this:

http://www.precentral.net/talkin-pre...ding-14-august

That should give you pause for concern. And it is no secret that Palm has had manufacturing difficulties.

In recent Palm earnings reports, they completely ignored cost issues with the Palm... that along with the above is a strong indication Palm is having serious problems the Pre. And these problems, despite improvements in manufacturing, may only delay problems by 6 months rather than 6 days of ownership.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    I'm beginning to think that treo and Truth are both trolls (looking over their posts). Apparently Truth goes back to best buy every 30 days.

Some examples of Truths trolling

8-11
    I didn't have screen cracking but have had all the other problems. Oreo that just started, screen bleed, and horrible battery life. I'm on my second going to the third

I had a best buy rep pleading I not buy it. She pulled me aside and said that 70% of the ones they sell are coming back and said the manager in that store will only let you do 2 returns before telling you to try another store.

She told me she sees a new defect every few days. when I came back to do my first exchange she just gave me a little smirk and that said it all. She thought I was crazy ti be buying another.

I would say maybe this was a fluke thing, but my sprint rep kept telling me to stay away from the pre and get the tour

8/16
    I looked through...count em 8 pre today and only one didn't have the oreo peoblem. I think I lucked out because this one has the redesigned battery, new pouch, and no problems at all so far..I have had great battery power and no light bleed. Build is 7/27

I am not surprised they told you they were defective. I have been told that by three different reps from sprint and best buy...remember best buy reps are not commission so they think nothing of it when they down a product.

8/14
    I've already made my mind up. I have about 60 paid apps already. Just waiting for the HERO. I also have a lot of ringtones and themes. I think what kills me about the pre is no customizing. I know it will come but I like andrioid better and its more open.

8/14
    A lot of people base there thoughts on the g1. That was a year ago. I am ready to sell my pre really soon. It was a good ride but by the time the beta is taken off, I will want another phone. Build quality is horrible, new problems popping up causing resets, craking case when typing, oreo, dead pixels, people on the 4th 5th phone(come on). I am not hating, but the people saying they are feeling the pre, I suggest you really dig deep into the hero and android and you will find out which one will be the best.

I really wanted to like the pre but build quality is key to a phone lasting. Go to any android forum and see if every other post is about problems with build quality

8-13 when talking about the volume of the pre

Happens to me all the time. I am glad I'm not alone. System volume has its quirks also

8/13
    Not to discredit your statement but from my experience most sprint reps know very little when it comes to specifics. When I go to store I usually have to tell them stuff that they should already know. Luckily there is a guy in my local corp store that knows his stuff and he is always up to date. Until I actually see video I am not taking anyones word.

And the list goes onnnnnn.

Dude, just get another phone and stop trolling. As a matter of fact heres your review for your precious Hero
    http://gizmodo.com/5318860/htc-hero-...gically-flawed
    Last edited by notaphonegeek; 08/17/2009 at 01:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Bravo phonegeek. I feel SO sorry for any salesperson that ever has to deal with that kind of person. If they're all true stories that is.
    i smell a troll
    Notaphonegeek your kidding me right....troll...seriously this is starting to get funny. Everytime someone says negative we hear troll. Like my name sometimes the truth hurts and obviously I have hurt your feelings. Let me know if you need to see my receipts and pics of my phone...think before you type. I renewed my contract for this phone.so yeah I want it to work...must be asking for too much. Opinions are like a holes everyone has one..please go wipe yours.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Mine works fine. Had it for a month and a half. Never had any problems with it, the build quality is great, and the service is excellent. The only thing is the lack of a full app catalogue, but that kind of thing doesn't happen overnight, especially with a new platform.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I looked through...count em 8 pre today and only one didn't have the oreo peoblem. I think I lucked out because this one has the redesigned battery, new pouch, and no problems at all so far..I have had great battery power and no light bleed. Build is 7/27
    What is this redesigned battery that you speak of? And how can I tell which version of the battery I have? (Other than it's the one that goes from 100% to less than 20% in 9 hours...)

If there's truly a "redesigned" battery, then I will be marching back to Radio Shack to get one before my 30 days are up.
    I am guessing it is redesigned because the grooves look different on the corners of the battery. I have had better luck with this battery. It might be my imagination but the phone I have now has been better than both the other ones. Mine didn't have the new foam they added to the battery compartment recently.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    we dont open them and check them until we go to do an activation
    The BB sales guy said that a customer had returned his Pre and went through their stock to look for one that did not have the oreo and they could not find a single one. I know that if I bought one I had to return, I would make sure the one they were giving me was fine. This sales guy didn't seem to want to push a sale on me and I was glad he was being honest, but I was jazzed on getting one and was dissapointed when I didn't.
    I like the idea of paying $100 less than at the Sprint store so I'm going to give another BB a look.
    After I recieved defective phone out of the box, and showed them forum posts on this site (and others) The GM of the a Best Buy in Austin TX offered to let me open every phone if that is what it took to get me a good one. (i only opened one more to make sure of no dead pixels and was not looking for a flawless phone).

My guess is that he realized a Palm Pre is not the last product BB will sell me, and they have faith in Best Buy's contract which for lack of a better term states that if Best Buy thinks it is defective, it is the manufacturer's responsibility to prove otherwise.

That being said, no issues at all with my current pre, so make sure you get a good one.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemusic4us View Post
    The BB sales guy said that a customer had returned his Pre and went through their stock to look for one that did not have the oreo and they could not find a single one. I know that if I bought one I had to return, I would make sure the one they were giving me was fine. This sales guy didn't seem to want to push a sale on me and I was glad he was being honest, but I was jazzed on getting one and was dissapointed when I didn't.
    I like the idea of paying $100 less than at the Sprint store so I'm going to give another BB a look.
    BBYM (Best Buy Mobile) associates are all pretty top notch. ive worked with 4 stores now, and every BBYM associate ive seen in action is always super helpful. now granted, they deal with idiots like the OP every day....and face it, grumpy people tend to rub off....other than that, they do a lot of training and research and typically know their stuff
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12