Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today, I started to miss the bigger screen and the on-screen keyboard which, to me, was easier to use than the Pre's physical keyboard.

Then, I saw the articles about the Tom Tom iPhone app being released in New Zealand (I would have linked to it but my post count is too low and the forum won't let me).

So, the only ways to get turn-by-turn navigation on the iPhone are:

- Pay AT&T $9.95 a month more than the $20 extra a month I'd already paid them.

- Buy an app for $65 or $80 or whatever.

Seriously? I know Sprint's plans reflect their market position. I don't use navigation enough to pay extra for it - but it's a nice perk that it is there.

So, I now appreciate the Pre even more.
    Sprint is giving you the app not the Pre. I'm sure on Verizon and At&T they will charge as usual regardless of the phone.
    I love TomTom so I'd like the app or option to have it on the Pre. However, it's not just the $80 to purchase the app. You also have to pay for map updates.

Because I have sprint navigation, I wouldn't update the app as often. In fact, I'd probably only purchase it if I was leaving the country and they had a map for where I was visiting. It came in handy when I was in Europe. I couldn't use my phone, but I could still use the stand-a-lone navigation (TomTom).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Sprint is giving you the app not the Pre. I'm sure on Verizon and At&T they will charge as usual regardless of the phone.
    Understood...but the fact that Sprint gives the app/service away for free is part of the package.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGiaco View Post
    Understood...but the fact that Sprint gives the app/service away for free is part of the package.
    We definitely need an app (the iPhone Facebook app is awesome!).

I upload pictures via email (rather than the option to send to Facebook in the photos app). The subject line of the email becomes the caption. So far, it seems to be the best way to send pics from the Pre to Facebook.
    Don't you get the maps data on the iphone though? It would work out of coverage area.

The main problem i have with either the Pre or Iphone is letting them take the abuse of the sun in the dash for an extended period. Both get hot. And the standalones are built to take this abuse. Taking calls interrupts it or the gps interferes with music playing duties. And if you're traveling with family, they'd want to use it.

TomTom for iphone is like 100. Standalones aren't much more. That's just too much then.

Sprint's is free but it's pretty crappy compared to the Garmin standalone i have. Better than nothing i guess.
    I think "crappy" is a bit harsh. Imperfect for sure though. It seems that when the sprint navigation actually finds a lock, it works quite well. However, anytime the sky is at all cloudy, no chance in hell. So yes, there is much improvement to be made, but for a free ap that has such potential, it is quite handy.
    Tom Tom, suck sucks
    Get Garmin.
    If we could get TOMTOM on the pre it would be the best ever ever.. i use my Tom Tom on the Touch Pro and i think is the only thing I will miss the most
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Sprint Nav is great for me. I use it all the time. I don't know what'd I'd do without it. BUT, I wouldn't pay extra for it (or any other GPS app). That was one of the many strikes against the iPhone when I considered buying one.
    I've not run into any problems using Sprint NAV. It has been quite accurate and responsive in my area and where I have traveled. The Tom Tom app for iPhone is a nice addition for "we got an app for that", however the app itself is $99 and then if you want the dash holster/charger/cradle is close to another $70-$100 on top of that, then there are the yearly map updates. YIKES! I'll stick with my included navigation pack in the
    Simply Everything plan. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    the thing is tom tom on the iphone works regarless of where you are the maps are built into the phone
    I hope the pre has something like this soon
    tomtom app on iphone will prolly be over 1gb and cost 99.99 for the US version... no thanks. Sprints Telenav works great for me!
    SCK Manager
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL View Post
    tomtom app on iphone will prolly be over 1gb and cost 99.99 for the US version... no thanks. Sprints Telenav works great for me!
    People tend to crap on apps simply because they are on the iPhone. But If this was available ont he Pre then many people would heavily consider buying it because a good GPS is worth every penny. And TomTom GPS's are great.

Yes, the Sprint GPS is "good enough" and the fact that it is INCLUDED (not "free") in our plan is fantastic. But TomTom is superior software and maps don't require internet. And on the iPhone side then 1GB isn't as painful when you have 32GB storage and that big flat screen is more convenient when it comes to functions like this so maybe on future WebOS devices this may be a desirable app.
    Last edited by Urkel; 08/17/2009 at 01:27 PM.
    I have a TOM TOM and don't use it anymore thanks to the GPS on sprint! One Device that can do it all... much better.
    GoogleMaps EULA is a gaggle of offal. Continuous recording of YOUR GPS!?

Fortunately Sprint Navigation can be coerced into giving a map. Pick Address, manually set Origin & Destination. It b----es about not finding current Origin, but Sprint will give map

Red+Sym+P will Screen captures. If you need turn-by-turn, you're too dim to drive .
    Last edited by CarlKPC; 08/17/2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Too dim to spell
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Don't you get the maps data on the iphone though? It would work out of coverage area.

The main problem i have with either the Pre or Iphone is letting them take the abuse of the sun in the dash for an extended period. Both get hot. And the standalones are built to take this abuse. Taking calls interrupts it or the gps interferes with music playing duties. And if you're traveling with family, they'd want to use it.

TomTom for iphone is like 100. Standalones aren't much more. That's just too much then.

Sprint's is free but it's pretty crappy compared to the Garmin standalone i have. Better than nothing i guess.
    I agree with you that I don't like to put my Pre in direct sunlight for too long, especially with it being black.

But the way the Pre handles music, calls and GPS at the same time is wonderful. The music fades down when the GPS starts talking then fades up when done. If a call comes in the GPS keeps going without problems.

This is one example of how multitasking is great with webOS.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    As of today, I miss my iPhones but don't miss AT&T.

Palm did it to themselves. They released a weak SDK, and didn't pay attention to the entertainment aspects of current mobile devices.

Everyone here in the Palm world (Treo Users) have no idea what it is like to have a device that does almost everything correctly. So, stop making excuses for them and put the pressure on Palm where it belongs. This will not only help them with feedback, but the developers out there will benefit from this.

Palm, Really.. $30.00 for a sync program? WTF!

Why are you sticking it to your users? This should be a free app and it just shows how out of touch you are with your consumers and the mobile app market in general. I found it absurd that your app marketing rep stated that they don't want to participate in the race to .99 cent apps? Why not? Who cares how many apps are in you store? The general public doesn't care about anything besides quantity and price. Get over yourselves!

The whole "I don't want 3D games on my Pre" is a load of BS and one fat excuse form Palm supporters.

OK, so if you didn't buy the Pre for that feature, fine. But, 95% of Pre owners out there that have experienced the Iphone can tell you they are stunned that this in not an option. In addition, it has taken a public uproar for Palm to address this and get with the program.

Don't give me that crap about using a DS Lite or PSP. The iPhone and potentially the Pre can rival these devices not only in 3D, but also beat the pants off them in the portability section.

So, I left my iPhone because AT&T was raping me on a monthly basis. (Horribly) I like Sprint and was excited about the Pre and WebOS. I find the OS enjoyable and have only a few issues with it. But, without entertainment, its just a plain old phone.

However, Palm has a limited amount of time to fix these issues. If the Apple exclusive runs out with AT&T in late 2010 early 2011, and Palm still is dragging their feet, it will be curtains for sure.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Tom Tom app is $99
    I agree MattGiaco. I had an iPhone and just got out of it and got a pre. They have a bunch of apps but they are all crap. I love the sprint nav.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast