1.    #1  
    Should I always delete an app before I install the newest version? Example. PrePod. I had version 0.3.5 and they came out with 0.4.0. Should I delete 0.3.5 and then install 0.4.0, or should I just install 0.4.0 and it will overwrite it by itself. I'm also topped out on the app partition of memory....
    Just overwrite it. There shouldn't be a problem.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I would say you should delete them. When I haven't, I end up with a duplicate app. Just tried it with Checkers again to confirm this.
    It depends on the app. Some will overwrite the previous install, some will install the new version right along side the old. These same behaviors happen with desktop applications (for example, I can have as many versions of Photoshop on the same computer as I want, but only one version of Acrobat), so it's not all that surprising.

To ensure consistency, it's probably a good idea to delete an old version before upgrading. But it's not really a big deal if you don't. The worst that can happen is you'll just end up with two versions. You can always delete the old one after the fact if that happens.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    I would say you should delete them. When I haven't, I end up with a duplicate app. Just tried it with Checkers again to confirm this.
    Yea. The most recent update did that to me as well. I usually don't delete the previous version.
    It always overwrites if there's an existing app with the same ID. In the case of Tricia and Checkers, I believe the developer of checkers changed the App's ID a few times, thus the WebOS would recognize it as a different app
    PrePod would be an example of one you WOULD NOT want to delete before installing. Deleting an app will remove the database associated with it. This would wipe all your podcast data.

This is helpful if you are having problems with the database, but is annoying if you use more than the default feeds.

My upcoming Word Whirl needs a couple minutes the first time you run it to generate the word and game data. If you delete with each update, you would have to do this load each time.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Hmm. Interesting. I downloaded Prepod but just don't listen to pods so I deleted it. When I used USB yesterday to transfer some files onto my phone I still had a folder called Prepod.
    There currently is no call into the program on delete to clean up anything created that wasn't a database.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    How about for something like dk's google voice dialer? I have never been able to get that to work via web-dial (voicemail dial only) but when I delete the app and then re-install it in hopes of starting over, it already has all of my information in the app so it is obviously not uninstalling completely.