1.    #1  
    I currently own the Sprint MyFi. I was thinking about purchasing a Pre so I could have the best of both worlds on one device, the phone and the wi-fi. My questions are:

1) Are the Pre tethering data speeds the same as you experience with using the Pre alone?

2) Can the Pre tether with more than one device at a time?

3) Can the Pre tether with any wi-fi device such as other cellular phones?

4) Other than the fact that Sprint can cut off this feature at any time, is there any flaw in the logic to use the Pre for wi-fi and drop my Sprint MyFi? Even with cancellation charges, I would come out ahead in just a few months.

Thanks in advance.
    You would need to enable Linux access on the Pre to get exactly what you're wanting. The Pre allows for ad-hoc wireless networking, so you could accomplish all of those.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orange-man View Post
    I currently own the Sprint MyFi. I was thinking about purchasing a Pre so I could have the best of both worlds on one device, the phone and the wi-fi. My questions are:

1) Are the Pre tethering data speeds the same as you experience with using the Pre alone?

Seems fast enough.

Yes using wifi tethering I have had three laptops connected at once.

Don't know, my kids Wii would not connect, probably because of the ad-hoc type of network connection, not a true wifi router.

4) Other than the fact that Sprint can cut off this feature at any time, is there any flaw in the logic to use the Pre for wi-fi and drop my Sprint MyFi? Even with cancellation charges, I would come out ahead in just a few months.

I agree.

Thanks in advance.
    Finally I recommend the $10 donation version 2.0.1, it comes with WEP security feature. Also is installable using WebOSQuickInstall, no rooting!

Ralph
    Ralph
    if an incoming call comes in while I'm wifi connected and cruising the internet on my laptop will the data stop working until I'm off the phone? I'm assuming yes..
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tri0xinn View Post
    if an incoming call comes in while I'm wifi connected and cruising the internet on my laptop will the data stop working until I'm off the phone? I'm assuming yes..
    Yes
    Originally posted by bfralph:
    Finally I recommend the $10 donation version 2.0.1, it comes with WEP security feature. Also is installable using WebOSQuickInstall, no rooting!

Ralph
    Ralph
    I donated the $10 and still couldn't get it to work. The QuickInstall didn't work, but I think it's because I had a previous version. Did you have to do anything other than install USB driver after the install?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts

Thanks in advance.
    IMHO

1 yes
    2 yes
    3 yes
    4 no

i have used my pre for wifi on my laptop with 2 iphones all at once.....
    I am in the same boat as you. I have the $60 a month card and would very much like to save that money. I tested the speeds and they were exactly the same. I don't know if sprint can cancel it at anytime or not. For me, it is much better using the pre as I can use wifi with a WEP password and take it everywhere with me. I tested it out at a convention this weekend and 3 of my friends all connected to it with no problems.

I highly recommend donating the $10 and getting the installer and security, it was way easy following the step by step guides on the My tether forum.

Just remember one thing if you have a problem connecting with WEP enabled. the pre likes to automatically capitalize the first letter when you enter the password, so either fix it or remember to capitalize that first letter when you connect to it and put in the password.

One thing I have not been able to do yet is connect my PSP to the network, anyone know if there is a trick to this?
    One way around this is to use a voip softphone on your computer for calls. This combined with Google Voice you can route all your calls to your softphone while working with that setup.

Skype works especially well for this. (For the softphone)
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Yes, however data starts flowing again as soon as the call ends. I was downloading something through firefox on my laptop when a call came in. The download just paused and as soon as I hung up, it was running again. I think the wifi connection continues to run during the call, just the data stops.

Thanks in advance.
    Just remember, if you're using a lot of data, especially on your Pre AND your other devices, it might be smart to keep the MiFi just to have more data on tap, to prevent going over the 5GB cap. Them data overages don't come cheap!
    Quote Originally Posted by lost_cause View Post
    Just remember, if you're using a lot of data, especially on your Pre AND your other devices, it might be smart to keep the MiFi just to have more data on tap, to prevent going over the 5GB cap. Them data overages don't come cheap!
    I read somewhere that data through the Pre is really unlimited, whereas the mobile broadband cards are limited to 5GB of bandwidth. Does anybody know if this is true?
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    I read somewhere that data through the Pre is really unlimited, whereas the mobile broadband cards are limited to 5GB of bandwidth. Does anybody know if this is true?
    Sprint will be very angry if you constantly go over 5GB. You'll receive a warning letter of termination if you do.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ive used over 5GB for the past two months and havent seen anything from Sprint on it. No overage charges, no letters.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    remember with my tether your phone becomes a wifi hotspot (laptop(s) joines your phone through wifi). your going over the evdo sprint network they are differnet versions. of evdo the one on the sprint network only allows voice or data trans. if, both then it will better. anyone notice u cant have my tether wifi and the phone wifi running at same time, evdo not programed for that. also if u do not have my tether running and u make a phone call then try to get on phone internet it will not work only one or the other voice or data. u can have both by using the phones wifi (joining a wifi network) then data will come over that then u can make voice call over sprint network.

what im impressed with are you smart folks coming up with all these really cool aps. pretty soon we are going to have the voice over wifi app. that will be soo sweet! I'll pay money for that one.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NxTech3 View Post
    ive used over 5GB for the past two months and havent seen anything from Sprint on it. No overage charges, no letters.
    did u check your sprint account on line, did it show your data increase?
    Works great with an iPod Touch too. I also gladly gave up a ten spot to avoid rooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by lost_cause View Post
    Sprint will be very angry if you constantly go over 5GB. You'll receive a warning letter of termination if you do.
    I don't think that is true. YOu don't see any cases of Sprint doing this happening and it would been seen on howard or sprint users.

I don't think people should limit their usage and I would love to think there is a practice/policy of letting people who use it intermittently like my own use under 5gb slide while going after people who go over 10gb, but I think Sprint just doesn't want to wade into enforcement because it would be a nightmare for them.

There has been similar langauge to Sprints by ISPs in the past stating you could use your connection for only one computer and needed to pay a second connection fee if you used two PC.s Use of a router was considered by ISPs for a while to be ripping them off. Similarly cable companies used to state you could only hook one TV up to your analog. So routers and simple analg cable splitters were seen and portrayed by providers as pejoratively as wmwifirouter and tethering are today. Those were not legally enforceable assertions in the TOS, and sprint's language on tethering/pam may not be enforceable beyond the simple gb limit.

Data deliver costs always drop. What it cost to serve 5gb last year is less than it is this year. But even given that fact, as smartphones become a larger and larger part of mobile marketshare data serving will be stressed over the short term.

In short, I agree that over 5gb total is abuse, but I don't think they are doing anything.
    Donation now $14.95? I thought it was $10.00 and just wanted to confirm.

Also, with the announcement that OS 1.2 has a kill switch for apps, do you think Sprint and or Palm with target this app?
    Last edited by maven1975; 09/05/2009 at 09:13 PM.