Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    figured since i keep a good eye on my battery and usage and figure others might like to do the same so maybe we can figure out a trend or something?

so far today:

took it off charge at 7:30am, checked email 4 times, read 1 email, 3 phone calls, 45 minutes of GPS receiver being turned on and 25 minutes of sprint navigation use. Its at 84% currently at 11:45am
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Here's my scientific results:

No matter what time of day it is, when I absolutely NEED to use the phone heavily for the next hour and have no charger nearby it is hovering just above 20%.
    current trend: battery BLOWS
    ......................................... nothing like a bunch of random people giving totally random battery results, and then pretending like we have come to a conclusion on battery life.
    My battery life has been stellar lately.. since the last update (1.1) and since I changed roam preference to Sprint Only.
    WTF i lose 25% every freaking time i use the phone for an hour.

How you can lose only 16% with 45 Min GPS and phone calls in a a 4 hour span is laughable to me
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    ......................................... nothing like a bunch of random people giving totally random battery results, and then pretending like we have come to a conclusion on battery life.
    you do realize some have good battery life and some dont and there is a reason for the difference, right?

dunno if youve ever taken a servqual or statistics class, but this is called "gathering data"
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    yeah, everyday the battery does something different ..and it is somewhat frustrating.
  9.    #9  
    update: 3:17pm

two unanswered phone calls, checked email 3 more times, listened to two voicemails, returned a phone call

75% battery remaining
    @agentmock

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I would have to agree with pogeypetey. These are not definitive results. To really test it, you would have to quantify the use by how long it took and what you did exactly. For instance, the two voicemails and 3 emails, how long were the voice mails, how long did the return call take, how long/graphics rich were the emails... plus were u in a good reception area or a bad reception area.. was wifi on or were you strictly on evdo... this 'data gathering' can't really be an official way of telling how the battery is because everyone is using it differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    you do realize some have good battery life and some dont and there is a reason for the difference, right?

dunno if youve ever taken a servqual or statistics class, but this is called "gathering data"
    Your thread would only have statistical validity if the sample size is large enough and varied enough. There is no way for you to make valid assumptions about battery life via this thread as you will not be able to reach enough people, nor will you be able to accuarately portray the near infinite ways people use their Pre's.

I was only pointing out this fact.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Your thread would only have statistical validity if the sample size is large enough and varied enough. There is no way for you to make valid assumptions about battery life via this thread as you will not be able to reach enough people, nor will you be able to accuarately portray the near infinite ways people use their Pre's.

I was only pointing out this fact.
    ok, so we just accept battery sucks for some people and thats life

you act like anyone can control the other variables...not like this is a double blind random test or something

i was just trying to see if under our basic use as pre users if we can find a trend between use, applications, when the pre was purchased/made, etc.

not like we're trying to statistically analyze every fuse in a F150 in America and its effect on grocery purchases and obesity in children

i was just trying to gather basic data on basic points....a cheap, free test
    @agentmock

13.    #13  
    anyhow

update: 6:06 pm

20 minutes of gaming usage and checked email 3 more times

66% battery remaining
    @agentmock

^^Compared to what I had with the stock battery, that is unusually good performance. By 6pm or so my battery would be around 20-30% with moderate usage (some web, some email,some calls). And that is with all location services off.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    ^^Compared to what I had with the stock battery, that is unusually good performance. By 6pm or so my battery would be around 20-30% with moderate usage (some web, some email,some calls). And that is with all location services off.
    i wish i knew why i get better battery life than most....ive been at my apartment 70% of the day which is 2-3 bars signal
    @agentmock

Just got my phone replaced today and it shows all signs of the new build...new battery and better build without any issues. I don't know why but my battery has been pretty good. Better than both my old builds. Build date is 7/27. This battery is different then the others
  17.    #17  
    im fixina put mine on charge and play xbox, so last update for today:

11:01 pm

4 text messages, 2 phone calls, check email 4 times

60% battery remaining
    @agentmock

i love the people who say... do this , this, then this, maybe that then this again and the batt will last an extra 20 minutes... the only solution is that palm retains some integrity and hs a free battery recall for a much better one. just like microsoft did with faulty xboxs. microsoft showed why theyre a zillion $ company
    My most recent stress test was on Sunday. Removed phone from touchstone charger at 7:30am. Used phone for church (note taking and homebrew bible) and moderate web surfing while on the way to dinner at my mother's house. My reminder to check the battery level went off at 7:30pm - after a full 12 hours, the phone was showing a 53% charge.

My Pre is a launch day unit, has been fully discharged twice (Once on launch day, once about 20 days later when I stayed out far too late). Spends 90 percent of its time Monday-Friday on a charger, with a touchstone available both at work and at home. Initial battery life was horrid, but improved significantly around the 30 day mark.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    To really test it, you would have to quantify the use by how long it took and what you did exactly.
    fortunately the Pre's Spy feature is transmitting all this info to Palm. Why not just email them and ask what your usage was? They got it on file.

BTW... relevant to this thread: I have burned through ~40 of my battery in less than 2 hours when I am intensely checking email, packages, GPS and web surfing.

The battery life sucks. period. the little goodies like turn off location services help... but only to distract you from the fact that the battery sucks.

My new seidio 1350 is actually much better though!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast