Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Used Palm since original PalmPilot and thru many iterations to my 755P. A friend touted me on the Pre and I did a lot of TreoCentral research before switching yesterday. I never investigated PDA functions because it was a Palm (stupid in retrospect). I cannot operate my life without all of my OUtlook info (calendar, contacts, tasks) immediately at my hand with 10 years of calendar data. I have researched for hours and am not sure since many posts are old and improvements have been made. Some say Classic will allow me to get something like KeySuite working just the way it did on POS. I dont care about wired or OTA hotsync, but is this going to work in the next 30 days? Some say Chapura, MarkSense, or one of Apps will fix this. I see a lot of old posts about the calendar being slow and hard to manipulate. Is this just a learning curve for user or a permanent problem? I don't care what I have to go thru so long as I end up with a very useable PDA soon. Bought four Pre's yesterday and my kids love it so I might be the only one switching and I don't want to switch if this is fixed or about to be fixed. Any advice or workarounds would be appreciated.
    I use pocket mirror to sync my Pre to Outlook. It was a beta version but now its a 7 day trial. It is a OTA sync, and now I think after the 7 days it like 30.00 so I'm not sure if that's gonna work for me. All I use it for is to sync my outlook contacts and calender.
  3.    #3  
    Does it work well as a PDA for calendar and outlook? I've read online that it is slow and will clog up if you transfer too many calendar items or contacts. Does the OTA sync work smoothly? I love the PRe but I am wondering if I have to switch my wife and myself to a BB or something.
    The Chapuera Echo for Palm desktop would be your best bet. I am using the Beta "Pocket Mirror" as well and I love the way it sync's seemlessly over the air via a wifi router that is plugged into our network at the office. Currently the beta doesn't sync tasks but it does contacts, calendar, and I think email as well without any issues while its just sitting on my desk.

Give Echo a try and see if that will fulfill your needs to start. If you need something more you may have to wait but i'm sure there will eventually be an app that does everything since you are not the only one who has requested those capabilities.

Good luck and hope it works.

- sent from Palm PrPrPr&#$275$;
    I put some fresh batteries (!) in my Palm Pilot last night and used the four classic PalmOS apps to see if there has been as much progress over 13 years in PDA usability as there has been in hardware design. The answer, sadly, is no.

The Pilot's PDA functions are all conveniently accessible from the dedicated hardware buttons. Each one starts instantly -- no lag. The Find function really does find everything that matches in every app. Pressing the hardware button for the app cycles through available categories or calendar views with every press. Using Graffiti for entry seems quaint now, but it works remarkably well.

By contrast, the Pre often requires multiple taps or menu layers to switch data views. There is lag between menu selections. By the time the calendar app even starts on the Pre, I can cycle through the daily, weekly, and month views on the Pilot.

I guess the PDA is dead. Feature creep and the iPhone killed it.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by YBCold View Post
    The Chapuera Echo for Palm desktop would be your best bet. I am using the Beta "Pocket Mirror" as well and I love the way it sync's seemlessly over the air via a wifi router that is plugged into our network at the office. Currently the beta doesn't sync tasks but it does contacts, calendar, and I think email as well without any issues while its just sitting on my desk.

Give Echo a try and see if that will fulfill your needs to start. If you need something more you may have to wait but i'm sure there will eventually be an app that does everything since you are not the only one who has requested those capabilities.
    YBCold: You didn't say if you are happy with the PDA functions once you get the Pocket Mirror OTA hotsync. Are the issues about the calendar being slow and difficult real? How about the contacts sync? Is that working well? Can you see your Outlook notes for each contact? Thanks for the input, I really appreciate the early adopters helping me.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Remember, Palm split into a software company and a hardware company several years ago. The software company owns PalmOS, Palm Desktop, and all of the knowledge about how a PDA should work. WebOS is from Palm's hardware company, and if you haven't figured it out yet, they are more concerned with importing Facebook contacts and synching with iTunes than they are with PDA stuff.

On the calendar topic, it is still frustratingly slow and difficult to navigate in the latest WebOS release. The most annoying part for me is that there's no quick way to move between months, short of using the "Jump To..." pull-down and having to spin the scrollers for month, date, and year. They didn't incorporate the left/right slide gesture for changing between months in the month view for some reason, and the only way to move between months is to tap a date in the previous or next month's grayed-out dates on the month view.

Since it's obvious that Palm the hardware company is moving away from dealing with ACCESS (the former Palm software company), legacy Palm users are in a pickle right now. With the Treo and PDA lines nearing the end of their life, anyone using them will have to migrate to another platform sooner or later anyway. My only hope is that ACCESS sees the opportunity, and releases a third-party Palm calendaring app that addresses the shortcomings in Palm's attempt to build one.....
    That would be AMAZING!! Imagine a PalmOS "functionality pack" for WebOS to update the phone to ACCESS's software abilities. I would almost be willing to pay extra for that, if Palm is worried about licensing costs...
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Slide up and down to switch months in Month View. I know, totally inconsistent with the other views, but it makes sense within the Month view in isolation.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    The most annoying part for me is that there's no quick way to move between months, short of using the "Jump To..." pull-down and having to spin the scrollers for month, date, and year. They didn't incorporate the left/right slide gesture for changing between months in the month view for some reason, and the only way to move between months is to tap a date in the previous or next month's grayed-out dates on the month view...
    Most of what you say is (sadly) true, and those of us with allegience to the old PalmOS for many years are quite frustrated. Frankly, as a 10+ year Palm user, I think the new Palm is skating on very thin ice at this point. If they don't add true PDA functionality back into the Pre very soon, I will be permanently jumping ship.

With regards to changing months, you can actually gesture UP and DOWN to see the previous or next month. The fact that Palm couldn't even implement standardized gestures in the calendar app proves how badly they've lost their mojo.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    On the calendar topic, it is still frustratingly slow and difficult to navigate in the latest WebOS release. The most annoying part for me is that there's no quick way to move between months, short of using the "Jump To..." pull-down and having to spin the scrollers for month, date, and year. They didn't incorporate the left/right slide gesture for changing between months in the month view for some reason, and the only way to move between months is to tap a date in the previous or next month's grayed-out dates on the month view.

Since it's obvious that Palm the hardware company is moving away from dealing with ACCESS (the former Palm software company), legacy Palm users are in a pickle right now. With the Treo and PDA lines nearing the end of their life, anyone using them will have to migrate to another platform sooner or later anyway. My only hope is that ACCESS sees the opportunity, and releases a third-party Palm calendaring app that addresses the shortcomings in Palm's attempt to build one.....
    Since I only have 30 days to return the Pre and I can't live more than a month or two without decent PDA functionality, it sounds like I may have to return. I was hoping with all the apps and development someone knew of a fix that was close. What should I switch to? I need to stay with sprint so my family can keep their Pre's.
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann View Post
    Since I only have 30 days to return the Pre and I can't live more than a month or two without decent PDA functionality, it sounds like I may have to return. I was hoping with all the apps and development someone knew of a fix that was close. What should I switch to? I need to stay with sprint so my family can keep their Pre's.
    I understand asking for input, but you don't think you'll have time to try any of these free/trial options for yourself before giving up on the Pre?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I understand asking for input, but you don't think you'll have time to try any of these free/trial options for yourself before giving up on the Pre?
    West, I agree I need to do my share. That is always the way these boards should work. Obviously if there are some solutions that are recommended that is exactly what I will do. I usually read the Treo Central (now Pre) posts first. They did not specifically say there was any solution worth trying but most posts were two months old or more so I am asking if anyone is aware of a solution worth trying. At a minimum I will try to move KeySuite (which I already own) over using Classic (which I already installed). I am fairly certain KeySuite can't function without Hotsync and I don't know how to get Hotsync over on Classic. I have never used any of the other calendar apps (other than palm native) since I have used keysuite for so long. If no one knows the answer, then I may decide to be the lab tech and try all of these different solutions but it will take a substantial investment of time. I have done that a couple of times on Treo Central because I do believe in doing my share of the work, but I first want to know if anyone has already done it. The main purpose of this online community for me is shared effort so we don't each have to do the same tests. Once again, your post is reasonable.
    If for some reason the Pre doesn't work out for you I would highly recommend the BB Tour. When it comes to PDA functions Blackberry really excels and the Tour has the high resolution screen that you might miss.

The Pre has the potential to be an amazing device and it's already a very good one. I'm personally waiting for it to have some of my "must have" apps before I make the jump.
    Go back to the 755. I have one Pre and one 755 on my account.
    I miss much of the PIM functionality that I had on my 755p. I think the other capability was worth the jump. But if I didn't plan on developing software for it, I might not have made the jump so fast.

The upswipe to load one of the 4 apps is almost as good as the hardware buttons. I'll trade the increased screen size for the trade off. The biggest problem is that the current incarnation of the calendar, tasks, memo are not as usable in both a features and UI perspective. However, there are features that just weren't possible before, like me having two calendars, and my wife's, and a fourth on my phone at the same time, with the ability of adding appointments to any.

So we will get there, either by native or third-party apps. We just aren't there yet.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlyall View Post
    Go back to the 755. I have one Pre and one 755 on my account.
    I don't think there is any way to unlock my Verizon 755P to work on Sprint even though they are both CDMA so I guess I would have to buy a new one. Seems bad buying old technology but I guess it is oldie but goodie.

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    If for some reason the Pre doesn't work out for you I would highly recommend the BB Tour. When it comes to PDA functions Blackberry really excels and the Tour has the high resolution screen that you might miss. The Pre has the potential to be an amazing device and it's already a very good one. I'm personally waiting for it to have some of my "must have" apps before I make the jump.
    Thanks, I know NOTHING about BB but have heard great things. If that is the best one to get, I will look at it next week.
    Last edited by dheymann; 08/16/2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: combine two
    i dont think the pre was built to be a PDA. Their whole focus is for this to be a web based phone. I bought the pre thinking it was going to be a super version of palm os with wifi. I was wrong. It is a different type of phone with different functions. More emphasis on web apps ie. facebook, all things google instead of a focus on a hardware/desktop solution to your personal information. IMO that is the biggest problem. Palm doesn't have an internet presence. So it must rely on google apps for the phone to be useful. Perfect example is the calendar. It is bare bones to say the least. However if you use google calendar then pre works much better especially when you can text yourself calendar appts. I still can't figure out why there isn't a reminder past 1hr on the calendar and why there isn't no timed reminders on the task app.
    As for how well the sync works for me it is seemless with the calendar & contacts, but I have not gone as far as to see if contact notes transfer. I can give it a try tomorrow if you give me an example of what you would like to see abd I can give you and update on if it works.

As forr on the device. I didn't see any issues with the calendar slowing and I have anywhere between 3-8 events per week not to include my palm profile events. Just make sure you reboot your phone once a day so the memory stays clean.

As for the ease of use it is constantly updating on its own as long as my workstation is on and my PrPrPr&#$275$; $has$ $wifi$ $turned$ $on$ ($witch$ $it$ $always$ $does$).

Also, when first using it I kept a close eye on batt. Life and didn't see any noticeable change.

Hope that helps.

- sent from Palm PrPrPr&#$275$;

YBCold: You didn't say if you are happy with the PDA functions once you get the Pocket Mirror OTA hotsync. Are the issues about the calendar being slow and difficult real? How about the contacts sync? Is that working well? Can you see your Outlook notes for each contact? Thanks for the input, I really appreciate the early adopters helping me.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by YBCold View Post
    As for how well the sync works for me it is seemless with the calendar & contacts, but I have not gone as far as to see if contact notes transfer. I can give it a try tomorrow if you give me an example of what you would like to see abd I can give you and update on if it works.

As forr on the device. I didn't see any issues with the calendar slowing and I have anywhere between 3-8 events per week not to include my palm profile events. Just make sure you reboot your phone once a day so the memory stays clean.

As for the ease of use it is constantly updating on its own as long as my workstation is on and my PrPrPr&#$275$; $has$ $wifi$ $turned$ $on$ ($witch$ $it$ $always$ $does$).
    In my outlook contacts I have tons of info typed under the Notes field. Does this stuff sync like it does on POS?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast