Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Where does one find the Novacom Linux driver for download?
  2.    #3  
    Thank you for the reference. Downloaded file but don't see indications that it will install. Have Vista. What next?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard G. Smith View Post
    Thank you for the reference. Downloaded file but don't see indications that it will install. Have Vista. What next?
    Why are you trying to install Linux drivers on Windows. For windows, search the forums and you'll find multiple threads
    When i try to launch Novacom, it says the the required jnlp field is missing from the launch file. I am using Linux, what should i do?
    Quote Originally Posted by idg9 View Post
    When i try to launch Novacom, it says the the required jnlp field is missing from the launch file. I am using Linux, what should i do?
    that file is only for Debian based installs...

i had to hack it to install on Fedora. There is /opt/Palm and event.d files you need to pull out.
    Live free or DIE!
    I have a problem, my brother is in Hawaii and I am in Michigan - I am trying to talk him through this over the phone and what I have figured out is that the novacom driver isnt installed, it shows up in device manager as a yellow ! but the driver says it cant install and asks where to look - I downloaded this file and tried to point it there but it didnt work

I am sure the lack of a novacom driver is the only problem stopping him from using webos quick install - he followed the steeps correctly just as I did over the phone with him but it didnt work

he is using Windows XP Professional - it is on a MacBook but it is bootcamp so it is really windows (in case you dont know bootcamp allows you to run windows on a mac with an intel CPU and it boots into windows its not a virtual machine) but who knows

please help, what could we be missing
    Hi, Any tips for getting Novacom on Linux Mint?

It's based on Ubuntu.

I set WOSQI to executable and it's running on OpenJDK Java 7 runtime. It asks to install Novacom, but when I click yes, nothing happens. To I need to give the app permission somehow? Or install manually?

There's no error or suggestion message.

Update: I tried the universal installer, but this fails with an error message. As I have to enter a password to download and install things from the software repository, I assume I have to give the app permission somehow. How?

Update 2: Installed this from a tar.gz file - it works!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/13/2015 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Hi, Any tips for getting Novacom on Linux Mint?

It's based on Ubuntu.

I set WOSQI to executable and it's running on OpenJDK Java 7 runtime. It asks to install Novacom, but when I click yes, nothing happens. To I need to give the app permission somehow? Or install manually?

There's no error or suggestion message.

Update: I tried the universal installer, but this fails with an error message. As I have to enter a password to download and install things from the software repository, I assume I have to give the app permission somehow. How?

Update 2: Installed this from a tar.gz file - it works!
    What is the tar.gz called and where can I get it, please.
    Universal Novacom Installer - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

See this thread. It didn't work completely - no commandline access.

I haven't tried the installer offered on that rootzwiki thread - as I was unaware it had been forked. Jason Robitaille hasn't relinquished this project to my knowledge, so I don't know if it's trust-worthy. The links posted are archived from HP. I can't remember exactly how I got the file installed, but I'm now having a suspicion that maybe I should have unzipped in a specific location or maybe it's installed fine and I need to open a terminal at the install location - don't know Linux well enough yet to understand these niceties.

It occurred to me that one trust-worthy source for drivers would be:
    https://github.com/openwebos/novacomd

Someone with more Linux experience than me could probably build a package from these files.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/25/2015 at 08:09 AM.
    If it's based on Ubuntu, the .deb should work. https://www.dropbox.com/s/v50a1vi5ki..._i386.deb?dl=0
    It seems it did work after all - maybe.

I opened a terminal and navigated to opt/Palm/Novacom
    I typed 'Novaterm' (enter) and found my prompt was root@HPPre3:/#

So it seems I'm in the phone, but it won't let me 'cd' around, though 'ls' works. I tried running novacomd, but it's apparently already running. There is a a folder of scripts in /Novacom/ novacomd-conf and novacomd-upstart

Perhaps I need to place WOSQI in the novacom folder... or maybe the command line access is only intended for windows and Linux can just talk to 'itself'.

I expect I just need to improve my Linux knowledge - there's a lot of scope for that!
    You shouldn't need to navigate to that path to run novaterm. It seems really odd that it won't let you cd around.. you are typing / forward slashes, not \ backslashes, right?

Novacomd is the daemon that communicates with the device. With that driver installed, WOSQI should be able to talk to the device.
    cd foldername or cd .

I know about the slash thing.

I've got a book. I'll have a read. The above was how I got to opt/Palm.

I'd be surprised if it's a different kernel thing. Maybe the webOS shell or Novaterm require slashes.
    I'm downloading Linux Mint now to try on a USB stick. Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit?

I was kidding you about the slashes. But it does happen.
    Here's my experience with Linux Mint 17.1. Booted the USB stick, installed the novacom deb package. Novacomd did not start, so novaterm did not work. I had to manually start it using sudo novacomd & from the /opt/Palm/novacom directory. Then I could novaterm into a phone and it worked normally, including cd. Then I bumped the USB stick and had to reboot to get anything working again. I went to reinstall the novacom package, and it was already installed, so it apparently persisted the installation, but it still did not autostart novacomd. I had to manually start it again, and then novaterm worked normally.

From a terminal window on Mint, run "ps -ef|grep novacomd" and make sure you see it. Since you seemed to be able to novaterm in, it may be. I'm running off the USB stick, so I don't know if it doesn't configure autostart things, or if it's because of some difference with Mint vs Ubuntu. Hope that helps.

mint@mint ~ $ cd /opt/Palm
    mint@mint /opt/Palm $ ls
    novacom
    mint@mint /opt/Palm $ cd novacom
    mint@mint /opt/Palm/novacom $ ls
    novacom novacomd novaterm scripts
    mint@mint /opt/Palm/novacom $ ./novacomd &
    [1] 5338
    mint@mint /opt/Palm/novacom $ [2015/4/25 20:21:41] need to run as super user to access usb

[1]+ Exit 1 ./novacomd
    mint@mint /opt/Palm/novacom $ sudo ./novacomd &
    [1] 5339
    mint@mint /opt/Palm/novacom $ ps -ef|grep novacomd
    root 5339 5041 0 20:21 pts/3 00:00:00 sudo ./novacomd
    root 5340 5339 0 20:21 pts/3 00:00:00 ./novacomd
    mint 5409 5041 0 20:24 pts/3 00:00:00 grep --colour=auto novacomd
    mint@mint /opt/Palm/novacom $ novaterm
    root@webos-device:/# cd /media/internal
    root@webos-device:/media/internal# ls
    ailableeappspre3.json
    131103_ClassicNote_export.csv
    55356feb191b45.97226175-32255177.png
    Preemptive likes this.
    Wow! You really know how to push the boat out!

Thanks. I'll try this stuff tomorrow. I've now noted that posting issues, then saying, "don't worry, it isn't important and I'll work it out" gets a really good response...

You see, it's just that over here I've taken some of Google's sample code and am starting to try to build a new Youtube app. Maybe in a few years, I'll have puzzled it all out... Hey! I'm fine, there's no need to click the link - it's not like the current app is even broken yet...well, not much anyway...and who needs to set a record for fixing an app before it's broken......
    OK that worked. I'm able to navigate the file system on the phone from the terminal!

So ps is process status (novacomd was already running). I don't know what the modifier is. The output of this is piped to grep which is a pattern matching search tool (global regular expression parse), so I guess it's a search for novacomd processes. Then novaterm is started. I'm not clear what part of that enables me to navigate the system, but whatever, it works. Thanks again.

I exited everything and tried to start WOSQI to check if this would work. I can't open it because I'm no longer offered the option to open it with Open JDK java (or whatever it was called). That's weird. I'm doubtful those commands would prevent it or hide open JDK. So installing apps from Linux is out until I solve that one!
    I unset and reset the executable bit on WOSQI to no effect.
    jar files do not need execute permissions, only read permissions. They are essentially just zip files, and java is the executable that opens and runs the code inside them. I am not real familiar with how Linux handles file type associations, but if you can't double-click on it, just run it from the command line. Put it somewhere convenient, and from a command prompt, run "java -jar wosqijarfilename.jar" The java executable *should* be in your search path already, unless your related problem is because it got removed.
    Sorry for the thread bump, I just noticed this while searching for another thread. When I tried installing Novacom on Linux Mint 17.2, it failed the first time. I was running it from WOSQI, which I launched using the command line. In the error it referenced not being able to launch wterm, hence the install fail (not sure why it wanted the wterm emulator in particular). I installed it, and the drivers installed without error. This is just off the top of my head, that incident would have been a month or two ago.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast