Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I rode our local commuter train today and did a quick unofficial test. My Email is connected via EAS, WiFi & Bluetooth off, screen brightness is set to about 33%, Backup is off (although it keeps re-enabling itself), Background Collection Data is off, Geotag Photos is enabled, and Location Services/GPS enabled.

Battery was @ 43%. I made a voice call for 1 hr 36 min. Upon call termination, my battery had 7% left. So, the battery dropped 36% in 1.5 hours by making a voice call. The short battery life makes this phone virtually unusable without a power source nearby. Unfortunately, the Pre's battery life is synonymous with HTC Touch Pro's and iPhone's battery.

I think this is the industry's dirty little secret: Give you a 'Do-Everything' device but only let you 'Do-Everything' for 3 hours.
    Last edited by Seedillume; 08/17/2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added more current device settings.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    There are days (and hours) when I have great battery life and times when I lose about a percentage point a minute.

It's not entirely clear why it happens some times but not others.
    The reason why it happens is because a lot of the apps in the catalog, and the homebrew apps, and the WebOS kernel itself is NOT doing a good job cleaning up resources when you throw a card away.

Process management seems to be a big negative about the pre.
    No problems with batt life here, it also blows away my mogul that I had.. Myself and my girlfriend both go full day without needing to re-charge. With texting, calls, etc throughout the day. I have GPS and BT - on all day - and screen brightness max.

Oh and we use Zimbra mobile (Exchange Sync Mode) - enabled all day / night - for push sync.

- D2G
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I'm in the UK where we don't have the Pre yet, but I'd like to get one if the battery issues are solved before release...

Out of interest, questions to the people with poor battery life:

Have you opted out of the 'Palm collects GPS and apps info' business? If you haven't opted out, could this be what is draining the battery?

I don't know how that works, but some news stories suggest this may be part of the battery problem.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by esamek View Post
    The reason why it happens is because a lot of the apps in the catalog, and the homebrew apps, and the WebOS kernel itself is NOT doing a good job cleaning up resources when you throw a card away.

Process management seems to be a big negative about the pre.
    Sounds like I should reboot more often. Much more often, if you're correct.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by UpTheRams View Post
    I'm in the UK where we don't have the Pre yet, but I'd like to get one if the battery issues are solved before release...

Out of interest, questions to the people with poor battery life:

Have you opted out of the 'Palm collects GPS and apps info' business? If you haven't opted out, could this be what is draining the battery?

I don't know how that works, but some news stories suggest this may be part of the battery problem.

Cheers.
    I've had poor battery life either way but I'll verify that it's not back on again.

It's all off except gps. I'll keep a closer eye on that to make sure stuff's not reactivating itself. But the data collection option was definitely off.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    If I'm in a place where I get consistently good signal strength. My battery life is really, really good. But if the signal is weak (like it is at my workplace...) then the battery can get sucked down like nobodys business. At the beach a week ago I had full bars almost everywhere... I'd use Navigation, stream pandora, surf the web and take photos all flipping day long and at the end of the day i'd only be down to like 40%. At home and work I get down to like 23% at 5:00pm with very little use...

Me thinks the way the Pre flip flops between towers and such needs a little revamp. I know mine will sit and jump between 1x > EVDO w/3bars > and roaming while it sits in the same spot on my desk... grrrr

Battery life is directly related to signal quality...
    Last edited by renegadepre; 08/17/2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: addition
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123