1.    #1  
    i purchased a pre on release day. within two weeks i lost gps and had HORRIBLE reception. i returned it. i realize the first shipments usually have defects. i was hopeing i did not get one.

is there any word on if the current ones have gotten over all the issues or should i wait longer?

i really miss my pre and want it back but dont want to run into issues. its ok for me to wait, however i dont want to longer then needed.

has anyone purchased the pre within the last week or two? if so any issues?
    i just returned my 1st one yesterday and the only reason was touchstone charging was very flakey. got a new one (build date 7/13/09, so it sat for a month!) and so far it is just like my old one (perfect) except touchstone charging works too.
    PreThinking posted an artice (HERE) which shows some slight modifications to newer Pre's, such as a different color "home" button and a small piece of styrofoam in the battery compartment. They speculate that it's possible that Palm could have improved the build quality on the newer Pre's, but I wouldn't assume they have just because of a couple very small mods to the hardware.

There's also a post about the screen cracking issue on the official Palm forums. One person claims "Our Sprint rep reported the Palm Regional Sales Manager as stating that the phones built after 7/25 specifically addressed this issue" (referring to the screen cracking problem). This should really be taken with a grain of salt for now though. If true however, that kind of sucks for me, cause the Pre I just purchased yesterday was built on 7/22

As for any other defects, such as the ones you're talking about, I haven't heard anything about those being fixed, but I'm not sure they're very widespread either.
  4.    #4  
    hum. tough one still.

dag nab it. sounds safe but.....
    Your concerns are the same reason I dont have a Pre yet either. I want one, but dont want the problems.

Im out of contract in early November, thats when I get my pre. The problems have to be worked out by then, and maybe by that time, they will let me keep SERO
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I purchased my Pre last weekend and haven't had any issues with it. On the flip side, I had a new BB Tour for one week before that and in that week the Tour had a serious number of issues. I'm very happy to report that after one week with the Pre, it's been nothing but good to me.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow View Post
    and maybe by that time, they will let me keep SERO
    Don't hold your breath pal...

And my pre has no defects what so ever and was made on 7-02-09
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    I had a new BB Tour for one week before that and in that week the Tour had a serious number of issues.
    REALLY???

I have never heard of a blackberry having issues...

I had a Blackberry Bold before my pre and a Curve before the bold and they were flawless..

I am curious to know what type of issues you were having...
    Lots of issues with the BB tour: trackballs not working, loose battery doors, gps failing, lcd screens "rippling", short battery life, etc. I should know, I have one ;-)
    yep I've heard of serious trackball issues..... :/
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow View Post

Im out of contract in early November, thats when I get my pre.
    shoot by then you will be able to find a good used one thats fairly new for the same price as an upgrade and not be stuck in a 2yr contract.

im finding them a few weeks old on craigslist for 225-300 on a daily basis. and there still covered on the maintence program.

i just hate contracts. i dont plan on leaving(been with sprint for almost 10 years), but what if something happens and i need to get out of it. if i do i would probably be broke as a joke and then be stuck.
    OP, I'm in the very same boat and was wondering the very same thing. I was shooting for an early September purchase right before the NFL season so I can always know what's going on with my team (that shall remain nameless). Just recently, however, I began wondering if it wouldn't just be better to wait for a late October or November purchase with, in turn, got me thinking why not wait for the December holiday to roll around. I really don't know and feel so torn.

I had a chance to play with one a few weeks ago and this is what I posted: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-up-close.html
    I too heard the bb tour had bad trackball, loose battery door alot of returns. i had to return my first PRE Oreo effect....But this on is great nice and tight,,then i notice along the bottom of the LCD screen There are Bad Pixels but im gonna live with them i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    I too heard the bb tour had bad trackball, loose battery door alot of returns. i had to return my first PRE Oreo effect....But this on is great nice and tight,,then i notice along the bottom of the LCD screen There are Bad Pixels but im gonna live with them i think.
    What do bad pixels on the Pre look like exactly?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    REALLY???

I have never heard of a blackberry having issues...

I had a Blackberry Bold before my pre and a Curve before the bold and they were flawless..

I am curious to know what type of issues you were having...
    You, obviously, have not worked with people who use them. I hear complaints about build quality, responsiveness, the on-device software (browser, especially) and reliability.
    The BB Storm, for example, seems to be the worst of the bunch. I know someone who recently switched from the Storm to an Envy Touch.
    BB is nowhere near perfect either...but, then, nothing is.
    Launch day Pre here and it is perfect in every way. Mine has a mid May build date.

My friend just bought one yesterday with a late July build date. His has 2 bad pixels and a loose slider.

I don't think the OP would be satisfied.