Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This has got to be fixed and I mean NOW!!!
    I tried installing the two new games from the App store and got an install failed error. So I remove a HB app and it worked. So the App store programs also use the same limited space on the Pre???

Come on now!!!! I have 6GB free, this is ridiculous now and I am getting really peeved about it!!!!! HB I can see maybe but the main App store also so limited????? It should allow you to fill up the 7+ GB free of apps!!!!!
    Palm WTF?????

We need a fix for this and we need it yesterday!!!!!

I am getting REALLY sick of having to delete stuff I want to keep on my Pre, just to make room to test a new app.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I agree with this. Palm please fix it.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    the 8GB flash has nothing to do with program space.
    so thats that? No way to increase the limit? Seriously? Palm? Dev's?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I was not able to replicate the error you received.

I have homebrew apps on my Pre. And I just installed the two new games just fine.
    This is just another one of those obvious things that Palm apparently overlooked.
    You'll get the out of memory error if your /var storage exceeds 67% capacity. This can easily happen if you have rooted your pre and installed all the optware stuff.

I ended up shrinking my /media/internal store and creating a new logical volume for my /opt store (see predev.wikidot.com/alt-optmedia) to get around this problem.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by madclicker View Post
    You'll get the out of memory error if your /var storage exceeds 67% capacity. This can easily happen if you have rooted your pre and installed all the optware stuff.

I ended up shrinking my /media/internal store and creating a new logical volume for my /opt store (see predev.wikidot.com/alt-optmedia) to get around this problem.
    I have only rooted to install MyTeter, that is it. No optware stuff at all.
    Everything else is just Dev Mod HB stuff..
    My point is that whatever volume all of this installs to, it needs to be MUCH larger. Like 6GB larger. Why am I so limited and with the App store stuff as well. Lame.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    I was not able to replicate the error you received.

I have homebrew apps on my Pre. And I just installed the two new games just fine.
    That is because you probably don't have as many as I do. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!

OMFG!!! Wait a sec...the Pre is not doing something that you're not officially supposed to do yet?!?! You HB the Pre and it's not functioning how you want?!?!?!

Over dramatic much?!?!?!

You seriously think that Palm is not aware of the current limitations of the Pre and is not being address when it needs to be addressed (when more apps come out)?!?!?!

You obviously have no faith in Palm and are unhappy, so you should give serious consideration in returning your Pre.

This forum is turning into a whiny ***** fest of DEMANDS.

Flame me all you want, but if you think about it, you're making a device to do something that is not officially supported. If you hack an Xbox and your burned games do not play, do you have any right to complain to MS about it? Seriously?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by madclicker View Post

I have plenty of space in /var (after making the disk hacks..) - but I still hit the cann't install error (and am forced to delete one to install a new one..)

(using ipkg from command line gets around this limitation)
    -mark
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    This has got to be fixed and I mean NOW!!!
    I tried installing the two new games from the App store and got an install failed error. So I remove a HB app and it worked. So the App store programs also use the same limited space on the Pre???

Come on now!!!! I have 6GB free, this is ridiculous now and I am getting really peeved about it!!!!! HB I can see maybe but the main App store also so limited????? It should allow you to fill up the 7+ GB free of apps!!!!!
    Palm WTF?????

We need a fix for this and we need it yesterday!!!!!

I am getting REALLY sick of having to delete stuff I want to keep on my Pre, just to make room to test a new app.
    I'm really confused. Does this need to be done now, or yesterday?

It might be important. I'd hate for this method to work for you, and they get the wrong date.

Anyone see where they put that Time Travel App?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    OMFG!!! Wait a sec...the Pre is not doing something that you're not officially supposed to do yet?!?! You HB the Pre and it's not functioning how you want?!?!?!

Over dramatic much?!?!?!

You seriously think that Palm is not aware of the current limitations of the Pre and is not being address when it needs to be addressed (when more apps come out)?!?!?!

You obviously have no faith in Palm and are unhappy, so you should give serious consideration in returning your Pre.

This forum is turning into a whiny ***** fest of DEMANDS.

Flame me all you want, but if you think about it, you're making a device to do something that is not officially supported. If you hack an Xbox and your burned games do not play, do you have any right to complain to MS about it? Seriously?
    First I don't have to flame you, you did that to yourself by your own post. ii J/K, seriously chill man.... I have a legit complaint here... I should return my Pre? WTF are you talking about? I am a HUGE Palm supporter from way back. I am not asking for unsupported apps support here.

Second: I am not even talking the HB stuff that is not officially supported! I am talking about the space for the App store programs themselves, or did you not read my post correctly?

I said I can understand the HB stuff maybe having a limit but why Palms own App store? Those programs should only be limited to the amount of free space on the device. What so we can only install 32 apps then that is it? While the HB takes up some space it is not taking up 6GB worth!! Come on now..THINK MAN...

Third: No I am not being overly dramatic at all. I am not complaining about an unsupported feature, they put out a device with 8GB storage on it and I am running out of room, for legit applications, with 6GB free! How is that dramatic? Seriously?
    Last edited by Paladin; 08/15/2009 at 01:29 PM.

I also got this error, was disappointed that I had so much free space yet I have to delete apps to install new ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    Second: I am not even talking the HB stuff that is not officially supported! I am talking about the space for the App store programs themselves, or did you not read my post correctly?
    I think his point was the HB apps in general. If you removed every HB app and hack, would there be room for every app currently in the App Catalog? If that's the case (I really don't know, but I has mu spisions...), then Palm's really done nothing wrong, at this point.

When everything's settled, then I'd agree that Palm should fix things if there's not plenty of room for apps. I don't know that I agree that the full amount of storage should be available for apps. That's poor planning from an IT standpoint. Add ons should never be able to interfere with a system's core system functions.
    This might throw a little more light on this whole topic.

First of all, the Pre uses LVM (Logical Volume Management) for its storage area. Without going into a long technical explanation, this means that the storage area is much more easily modified than convential "old school" storage systems.

Then, a quick view of the WebOS-Internals web site where they talk about resizing storage areas gives a little more insight (it's important to understand that the folks that run WebOS-Internals are in pretty close communication with Palm).

This is from WebOS-Internals web site (I've bolded the important part):

If for some reason Palm decides to modify the existing LVM structure (which they have explicitly confirmed with us that they want to have that capability for devices in the field), this method causes a problem and your palm would have to be "reimaged" with the webDoctor. You have been warned. Proceed at your own risk.
    In short, I think any judgement about what Palm plans in the future for disk allotment for apps is premature (no pun intended), especially when you throw in installed HB and consider the fact that the Apps Catalog is still in beta.

I think it'll change, but I don't think they're going to fix it "now"... or even "yesterday".
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think his point was the HB apps in general. If you removed every HB app and hack, would there be room for every app currently in the App Catalog? If that's the case (I really don't know, but I has mu spisions...), then Palm's really done nothing wrong, at this point.

When everything's settled, then I'd agree that Palm should fix things if there's not plenty of room for apps. I don't know that I agree that the full amount of storage should be available for apps. That's poor planning from an IT standpoint. Add ons should never be able to interfere with a system's core system functions.
    That was pretty much my point. Whether Palm deliberately put the current app limit in place or not, there are not enough official apps to make this an official issue.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the early days of the Iphone had a limit of 3 pages and we all know their pages don't scroll like the Pre does.

All in all, it will be addressed by Palm.
    This whole discussion made me think of something I hadn't considered before.

I'd be willing to bet that immediately before the Apps Catalog comes out of beta, we see a major upgrade to the OS that (among other things) resizes the storage area.

Since time (and timing) is drawing near, maybe we can see the next major OS upgrade as a precursor to the Apps Catalog coming out of beta...
    Yes, it can occur but, like my last post, there is currently not enough apps in the App Catalog for this to be an issue yet.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 08/15/2009 at 03:09 PM.
    It appears to me when the app store gets over 100 or so apps Palm will have a problem based on the limited install space. How are they going to fix that? By personally rooting our phones? Or more likely by that time we will be on our 2nd updated Pre. Not whinning, just concerned about this current/future issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by garos09 View Post
    It appears to me when the app store gets over 100 or so apps Palm will have a problem based on the limited install space. How are they going to fix that? By personally rooting our phones? Or more likely by that time we will be on our 2nd updated Pre. Not whinning, just concerned about this current/future issue.
    Palm can reset the storage areas through an update.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast