Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    Yes, it can occur but, like my last post, there is currently not enough apps in the App Catalog for this to be an issue yet.
    To be totally fair, have you confirmed this, or is it also speculation?

Anyone have a non-rooted Pre with no HB apps that want to give this a try and let us know?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    To be totally fair, have you confirmed this, or is it also speculation?
    It can, there have been a few posts about it. Although that was prior to 1.1. I don't know if it was fixed. I also don't know what caused it as I never really delved deep into it. The only fix was a data wipe and reboot. It was posted here and on the Palm forums but it wasn't very widespread.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    This has got to be fixed and I mean NOW!!!
    I tried installing the two new games from the App store and got an install failed error. So I remove a HB app and it worked. So the App store programs also use the same limited space on the Pre???

Come on now!!!! I have 6GB free, this is ridiculous now and I am getting really peeved about it!!!!! HB I can see maybe but the main App store also so limited????? It should allow you to fill up the 7+ GB free of apps!!!!!
    Palm WTF?????

We need a fix for this and we need it yesterday!!!!!

I am getting REALLY sick of having to delete stuff I want to keep on my Pre, just to make room to test a new app.
    Try stomping your feet and turning blue. That works for kids, occasionally.
    His point isn't that he rooted... The point is the official apps wouldn't hit the limit, so it's the home brew taking up the app space.

And without the homebrew you would never hear a word of this limit
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 08/15/2009 at 03:10 PM.
    why do you think it says beta at the top left of the app store?
  6.    #26  
    Sorry if I caused any arguments,
    I guess all I am saying is there should be a means for user control over what space is allocated to what. User data versus App data I assume. Does the iPhone run into this at all? Is all the user data space available for Apps?

I understand that there needs to be a separate volume for USB access but we should be able to adjust it I would think.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I agree with this. Palm please fix it.
    agreed
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hiya everyone. I haven't bought the Pre yet. I posted in another thread for some feedback on whether I should wait for a bit till some of the bugs get worked out. This plan of action seems to be supported by my local Sprint store reps...lol. Anyhow, not having one...it's very hard for me to figure out how to make 10 posts (this is 2nd) not having much to offer in the way of intelligent information...my issue is...I can't follow links in signatures which I figure might have some valuable information tucked away - so could someone give me a site or two where I can get some more info...and particularly on some of the lingo used in this thread...as I'm not a system analyst or programmer...just garden variety geek who likes to understand their electronics at a better than average user-level. thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    It can, there have been a few posts about it. Although that was prior to 1.1. I don't know if it was fixed. I also don't know what caused it as I never really delved deep into it. The only fix was a data wipe and reboot. It was posted here and on the Palm forums but it wasn't very widespread.
    If a wipe "fixed it", the we are talking about two very different scenarios. A wipe would not make more space available for apps, other than deleting all of the current apps.

My question was, is there enough space on the Pre to hold all of the current apps in the Apps Catalog? If there are, then someone complaining because he can't fit approved apps and HB doesn't really have a legitimate complaint.
    Sorry if I caused any arguments,
    I guess all I am saying is there should be a means for user control over what space is allocated to what. User data versus App data I assume. Does the iPhone run into this at all? Is all the user data space available for Apps?

I understand that there needs to be a separate volume for USB access but we should be able to adjust it I would think.
    I couldn't disagree more. You allow the user to control the space, then the device's core system volumes fill up, and suddenly it can't do anything.

The only way you a user should be able to adjust the space would either limit how much they could adjust it, or only let knowledgable users modify it - which they can currently do.
  11.    #31  
    Of course there would be a limit!
    You can adjust this on other phones so you can disagree all you want, it is a legit thing to let users do. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by derik123derik123 View Post
    why do you think it says beta at the top left of the app store?
    Um ... Top right?
    Of course there would be a limit!
    You can adjust this on other phones so you can disagree all you want, it is a legit thing to let users do. ii
    My experience has been prtetty limited ti Palm smart phones. What other smart phones give you the ability to chand the storage space?
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    OMFG!!! Wait a sec...the Pre is not doing something that you're not officially supposed to do yet?!?! You HB the Pre and it's not functioning how you want?!?!?!

Over dramatic much?!?!?!

You seriously think that Palm is not aware of the current limitations of the Pre and is not being address when it needs to be addressed (when more apps come out)?!?!?!

You obviously have no faith in Palm and are unhappy, so you should give serious consideration in returning your Pre.

This forum is turning into a whiny ***** fest of DEMANDS.

Flame me all you want, but if you think about it, you're making a device to do something that is not officially supported. If you hack an Xbox and your burned games do not play, do you have any right to complain to MS about it? Seriously?
    Obviously Palm's engineers never looked at the Iphone and never seen that it has 60,000 or so apps. Palm must of just wanted to be the little guy still or they would not of developed a phone with less internal memory,no memery card slot, limit amout of apps.

I do love the phone but we are multiple years into the smartphones now. How could anyone at Palm think this would be feasible?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    There must be some really bloated HB apps out there.
    I've got 24 HB apps installed, plus all the optware stuff
    and a few more apps from the app catalog and my Pre reports
    that only 23% of /var is used, and I've got 196 Megs total remaining,
    or 112Megs before I hit the 67% limit mentioned earlier.

You might try starting a root shell and go to /var/usr/palm/applications
    and do a
    du -s * | sort -n
    (disk usage totals on all sub dirs sorted numerically)
    and take a look at what's using most of your space.
    The average size of all my apps is 450KB.
    Most of my apps use less than half a meg, but the 4 biggest are
    pandora 1.0M, magic8ball 1.3M, splashid 1.6M, and accuweather 1.9M

If most of the HB apps stuck around average size, I could install another
    240 of them before running out of space, so I'm guessing there's some
    real monsters out there.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 08/15/2009 at 11:34 PM.
    i think the iphone can have like 300+- apps when it doesnt have anymore room for icons, but still have plenty of space. the way around it would be to jail brake the phone.
    I think the obvious solution here is to allow apps to be installed in the 7GB of flash storage. This is an option on WinMo phones. Shouldn't be a prob on WebOS from the sound of it.

I agree though. It would be nice if this got fixed soon. I got an install error earlier saying I needed more space when installing some HB apps.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    have you guys considered linking your apps to your flash storage? use ln -s /media/internal/apps/appname/ /var/usr/palm/applications/appname ..? it makes shortcuts in the var location and points them to your flash storage..problem solved
    Quote Originally Posted by paz00kie View Post
    have you guys considered linking your apps to your flash storage? use ln -s /media/internal/apps/appname/ /var/usr/palm/applications/appname ..? it makes shortcuts in the var location and points them to your flash storage..problem solved
    Sounds great. One more reason why I should root my Pre

Would be nice if Palm added an option to install to flash or program memory though
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12