Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    So I've had my Pre since June 13. Never had any issues with the phone except for a 1 mm oreo to the bottom right and a bright spot in the left hand corner when the phone got hot. Well today all of a sudden I began experiencing the shutdown effect when you closed the slider on the phone. I was afraid that Sprint would give me a hard time since I was way out of the initial 30 days. But called customer support who did not give me any issues and per their instructions went to a Sprint Corporate Store, where the tech took one look at the issue and immediately put in for a replacement phone to be shipped to my home because they didn't have any Pres. Hopefully the replacement phone has no issues with it as well. Fingers crossed.

Conclusion: so far I'm happy as can be with Sprint. We'll see whether that stays the same after I get the replacement phone.
    Good they are replacing it. You should know that Blackberry are having similar quality issues with the Tour - many people have gone through 3, 4, 5 Tours with track ball issues, loose parts, etc.
    I think its safe to say, any cell phone is going to have its issues when it is first realesed, just like any product.

Palm and Sprint for the most part have tried to work with people to get the issues fixed. Sprint is trying to give you replacement phones as fast as they can. Palm seems to be taking issues to fix the build quality a lot now! So overall, a good sign, but wish it could have happened sooner of course
    And I find it very interesting that any Sprint stores are low on stock. Lends credence to the notion that the Pre is selling very well and Palm is indeed having trouble keeping up with demand.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    They replaced mine I had since a week after launch for the headphone mode being on all the time. It was a refurb with a horrible oreo twist. I didn't notice the twist until I was walking out of the store. I can see inside the phone on the left side. I walked back in and the clerk apologized and ordered me another. We'll see what the next refurb looks like when it comes in. I suspect all the refurb now are every one that returned their phones for the oreo twist and they are sending them back out in the wild. My 1st pre was in perfect condition with very little twist.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I am not so sure that it is that the Pre is still in high demand.

I took my phone into a repair center because I was having GPS issues (my Pre was purchased on Day 1), and they ordered me a phone as well.

The phone was a reconditioned model that I am actually very happy with. The slider has a negligible amount of wobble, they did place a foam pad in the battery bay, and I have noticed the trackball is silver.

I was informed that protocol (save for a few rare exceptions) is to always send the customer a phone, so as not to deplete the store's own inventory of the product. Sprint would hate to have a potential new customer walk through the door, ask for a Palm Pre only to be told 'sorry, they are on backorder you have to come back'.
    Last edited by Hook_em; 08/15/2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    (sorry for the back to back posts)

I will say the one thing I have noticed about my phone has one stuck pixel towards the top (by the carrier string). I have yet to decide if I should take it back to a Sprint store to have another replacement ordered.

My recondition date was 7/26/09...seems like they are doing the best they can, for at least some phones, to fix the problems they were having
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Hopefully I don't have the same problems and the phone I get has very few issues and whatever issues it did have were repaired. I'll let you guys now in a few days when I get the replacement pre.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jyong80 View Post
    Hopefully I don't have the same problems and the phone I get has very few issues and whatever issues it did have were repaired. I'll let you guys now in a few days when I get the replacement pre.
    That is not to say you won't get a brand new phone. I have heard that it is a 'luck of the draw' type of thing.

However, the repair center I went to told me that they "never give refurbished phones for their advanced exchange policy"...when of course, ##786# told me otherwise.

Hopefully yours is a brand spankin' new phone!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I've had my Pre since around the 4th of July. This past week,I have noticed the shutdown issue on my phone. A couple of time when I slide it down but most of the time it does it on it's own. I put it down while driving and pick it up sometime later and its off. One day this week it did that 4 times in a matter of a 3-4 hours.
    I found if I leave it plugged in to the car charger and I run the sprint nav. Nothing happens.
    I have yet to get it checked out by Sprint.
    I have a similar story too as my first Pre since launch had color discoloration in the top left and a crack at the USB port which I could handle until a few days ago when my volume buttons decided to whack out. I have dropped the Pre (twice). Once off a 6-7 foot stand and another time out of my car when I got out. They both made scruff marks on the top of the phone which didn't never bother the Sprint Corporate center when I got there.

Although I didn't enjoy the 15 minute wait, they did a excellent job. She didn't know a single thing about the Pre so I had to open the dialer app for her (hehe). I could've even left my Pre in it's "rooted" form and gotten away with it, but it was a precaution to reinstall the firmware before I went to the store. She had a slight issue with how the crack got on the USB port, but I told her that the Pre has had many hardware issues and probably won't be my last time there. Then in 5 minutes, she had placed an order for my replacement Pre to be shipped and ready in 3 days.

I do have insurance, but I don't know if that went into play with my replacement. I don't really mind getting a refurbished Pre if it is in excellent condition. It seems like Sprint has stepped up their game.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Im having multiple issues with my phone and since im past my 30 days, they too will only offer my a refurb. Im usually OK with refurbished products, but with all the bad luck i've had with this phone and Palms QA, im afraid the refurb wont be any better.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Dropped my phone leaving my car as well. Gasped for air as I saw it fall because I had a feeling this phone wont take the abuse that my old Nextels got.

Picked it up and it was off so my fear was that it was broken. Tried to power it up and it worked and has worked fine.

I kinda thought there was some sort of safety feature after that. A good enough smack or something that might harm the phone in anyway and off it goes.
    Is that true??
    I actually dropped my phone a couple of days ago...talk about heart attack! lol I now have a few scrapes, but my phone didn't turn off and my phone does work fine. My oreo effect also did not get worse.