Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Palm Pre Sales Fail to Meet Analyst Expectations - InternetNews.com

I take no position on the data or opinions in this article, but one tidbit I found interesting was this statement:

"Also, non-Pre product shipments in the quarter were lower than expected due to cannibalization by the Pre, Grozovsky said in the report."

In other words, Pre sales are taking away revenue from other Palm devices (which is not surprising, as it's a better device). But it got me thinking -- all of the Pre owners I know came from a previous Palm device. I only have a Pre for development purposes, so while I am new to Palm I don't really constitute a new customer for Palm. I have seen a few people post here that are new to Palm, but I get the impression that the vast majority are former Palm users as well -- is that the case?

The sales trend cited in the article, combined with cannibalization of other products, has got me thinking Palm might not be expanding market share like it needs to with the Pre.
    I'm a former Winmo user. I had a Palm TX didn't really use it much and sold it.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I came from a HTC Mogul. Winmo device.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I came from a blackberry curve... I was thinking about the treo pro but the software felt archaic compared to webos
    I am completely new to Palm and Sprint. My last phone was very rudimentary (Samsung Blackjack)
    i came from the ATT Tilt which is a WM device
    I came from a Centro already on Sprint.

If you search I believe there is a thread with a poll on this subject.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I came from the Centro and before that dumbphones, but have had Palm PDAs since the Palm Pilot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    I came from the Centro and before that dumbphones, but have had Palm PDAs since the Palm Pilot.
    Me too.
    First time smartphone owner, long time Sprint customer. I previously owned a Motorola phone.
    I came from the Instinct. This is my first Palm product.
    Came from iPhone 3GS unfortunately I will be running back to it as it just works a LOT better...
    I've been a Palm user for about 15 years, so my Pre purchase did not expand Palm's market share. But my brother, who recently got a Pre (and cpnstantly texts me about how much he loves it) is new to the smartphone world. He researched the heck out of just about every smartphone on the market before deciding on the Pre.

I also know at least one iPhone owner who wants a Pre, and will likely get one when his contract runs out. And I know a former Blackberry user, turned Dare user (he absolutely hates his Dare), who says he will get a Pre when it comes to Verizon.

So, among that small sampling, that's just 25% of current and prospective Pre owners as previous Palm users. Not exactly a scientific survey, of course, but it does suggest that Palm's market share may indeed increase as a result of the Pre. Of course, we won't know anything for certain until Palm stops being so stubbornly silent about sales figures.
    Actually, if every existing Palm owner bought a Pre, Palm would be thrilled. I believe that what they're really shooting for is existing Palm owners to upgrade, and non-Palm owners to "catch the fever".
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, if every existing Palm owner bought a Pre, Palm would be thrilled. I believe that what they're really shooting for is existing Palm owners to upgrade, and non-Palm owners to "catch the fever".
    So do you think their existing customers had slowed down purchases of Palm devices leading up to the time the Pre was announced? Cannibalization would be a mis-nomer if the Pre was actually re-engaging Palm customers that would otherwise have bailed out.
    "Actually, if every existing Palm owner bought a Pre, Palm would be thrilled. I believe that what they're really shooting for is existing Palm owners to upgrade, and non-Palm owners to "catch the fever"."

I wish that were true- but if it were- I'd think Palm would have kept a lot of it's previous PIM features and not catered so much to the facebook/google PIM solution that they have with the PRE.

Every Pre owner I run into that migrated to the PRE is shocked how everything we've relied upon is no longer here.

This phone is for switchers- because of that, I almost wish they dropped the palm moniker altogether as this phone is misleading.

EAS support is finally easy and well supported on a palm device, but without outlook server, this phone does about 1/2 of what it can do. It's almost like there was the "social" team that came up with the synergy google/facebook approach, and the Outlook Exchange Active Sync team that added the features they needed to make this phone a consideration to the corporate blackberry crowd. (which Apple wisely catered to w/ the iphone)
    Well, I've had & used Palm devices since the PalmIII first came out, but before I got my Pre I was nursing a Tx past its useful lifespan. I'm probably considered a "new" Palm customer.

Regards,
    Tom
    The Pre kept Palm (and Sprint) from losing me as a customer. I am a longtime Palm user (since 2000, with a Vx, i500, and 700p) and Sprint Customer (since 2001).

At the end of 2008, I starting thinking about getting into mobile development. I have been a software developer (heavy web application development + some small cd-rom & desktop projects) for 12+ years. This was about the time my Treo 700p was beginning to show it's age, so I started looking at the options out there for development. I decided pretty quickly to go the iPhone route. Though I wasn't too happy about the draconian nature of the app store approval process and the closed nature of the apple ecosystem, I felt that the iPhone offered a platform well beyond anything else out there at the time.

I'm lucky I needed to wait a few months for my wife's Sprint plan to expire, because as soon as I saw the Pre's debut at CES, I was sold. I very quickly began planning to develop for the Pre as my first foray into mobile development, and I haven't been disappointed (I'm waiting for my first app to come out in the app catalog).

I think Palm is going to give Apple a run for it's money, especially once webOS is available on multiple devices and with multiple carriers.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Dumping a treo and buying a pre brings as much revenue to palm as an ipbone user switching.

The pre pre ents alot of people from defecting from sprint to at@t. I was close to doing that until they announced the pre
    I've been a Palm user since the Palm V, and a Palm smartphone user for my past two phones (I believe since about 2005, but not positive). I liked the Palm interface, but it was not "keeping up with the times" and I'd consciously been thinking that the replacement for my Treo 755p would be a non-Palm. I was seriously considering the iPhone, though was repelled by the Big Brotherish software that appears to require. So in effect, Palm gained (actually retained) a customer when I bought my Pre.
    Last edited by MikeBinOK; 08/15/2009 at 11:17 AM.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast