Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Greetings all,

Been a pre owner for 27 days now and still deciding whether to keep or try the blackberry.

Two things that are keeping me on the fence is:
    1. I have earthlink and i can receive emails but cannot send. Been through every tech from palm for a total of at least 8-10 hours total on the phone with them and they finally said its earthlinks issue call them.

2. Calendar. I use microsoft at work and like how the calendar looks on there and how can color code things, read things in the monthly view.

I can live with the email issue for now but the calendar is what im curious about. Is there a calendar that looks like the the outlook one on the pre where you can go to the montly view and see everything with color and words?

I did a search but didnt find anything. Is the blackberrys calendar like
    outlooks? This is my first attempt to use a phone as my calendar.

Any help is appreciated.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    In regards to earthlink:

Try changing your outgoing mail server to something else. That's what did it for me (I have an account through school which only worked when I changed the outgoing mail server to Gmail)

As for the color coding, you can also change this. For example, my school schedule I have in blue and my extracurricular schedule for school I have set to yellow. I then added my own schedule to be red. Is this what you mean?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I would like to see the colors on the 30 day calendar view as well as words for events.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Oh I see... As of right now the 30 day view onlt shows a block telling you when in the day (roughly) your event is. Colors will hopefullt be added in the future by either a hack or update, but I'm not certain of this
    I'd like to see the different colors in the calendar as assigned in Outlook as well, but seeing as how the Palm calendar uses colors to differentiate the calendar accounts, I doubt we'll see that.

In regards to your Earthlink sending issue (I have Earthlink as well), use the sprintpcs server and account for outgoing mail. Works like a charm on EVDO, but keep in mind if you're on WiFi, it will error out until you get back on EVDO (no relaying).

smtp.sprintpcs.com
    Use Authentication On
    Login is your SprincPCS address (yourname@sprintpcs.com)
    Password is your password
    Port is 25
    Encryption is None
    Earthlink may not allow anon SMTP mail. If you change to a different server like Sprint, yahoo, gmail etc you should be fine.

As for the calendar, the program frankly needs a lot of work. Its anyone's guess what and when so if its something that bugs you then I'd jump ship to another device and give the pre time to mature. You can always buy one on the cheap from Ebay later on if things develop well.

I' agree with you on the month view with having colors. That would be nice. I'd also like an agenda view under the month view just like the Iphones so you can see what exactly you have on that day.

Like I said the calendar needs a lot of work to catch up to other offerings but its not impossible to fix if Palm puts some time into it. Just don't hold your breath for anything major because there are so many other issues with WebOS itself Palm has its hands full.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    The first thing that struck me as a glaring omission (coming from a BB pearl) was that you couldn't dial a phone number from the calendar event. 99% of my meetings are on conference bridges, they are in the location field AND in the body of the event. webOS recognizes phone numbers on emails, why doesn't it recognize them in calendar events? The BB wasn't perfect about it, but at least I had the option of dialing the number when the reminder popped up.

Am i alone here? Does anyone else think that having an option to dial a phone number in the reminder would be handy?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Am i alone here? Does anyone else think that having an option to dial a phone number in the reminder would be handy?
    No you're not alone. I had a program on my Treo that let you dial any number you could highlight, as well as the built-in capability...

I bought this phone knowing that it was a 1.0 device, and wouldn't be perfect for some time. There are many talented developers working on this and other issues, as we post in these forums. "Patience, grasshopper..."

Cheers,

-Jerry
    Patience is a virtue, unless you need your device to actually support you today. I won't buy a Pre until there is a fully functional calendar app available.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rayray3 View Post
    Greetings all,

Two things that are keeping me on the fence is:
    1. I have earthlink and i can receive emails but cannot send. Been through every tech from palm for a total of at least 8-10 hours total on the phone with them and they finally said its earthlinks issue call them.

Any help is appreciated.
    Earthlink actually only blocks port 25/26 for sending emails. You can either use the Sprint mail server, or setup your email to use port 587 for SMTP.
    I didn't realize the SprintPCS outgoing main server was still functional. Good to know.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    In regards to earthlink:

Try changing your outgoing mail server to something else. That's what did it for me (I have an account through school which only worked when I changed the outgoing mail server to Gmail)

As for the color coding, you can also change this. For example, my school schedule I have in blue and my extracurricular schedule for school I have set to yellow. I then added my own schedule to be red. Is this what you mean?
    ______, wait how do you change your colors? I can only change colors on different accounts. I can't seem to figure out how to change colors by just posting something that has to do with work or personal or vacation. Please help! Thanks!