1.    #1  
    I really want to get a Pre but I need Windows Live Messenger and there is no app that can do it on the Pre.

Anyone know if there will be an IM client coming soon?

Thanks,
    I'm with you, MSN = must have
    Hopefully someone's at least making a homebrew
    Pidgin would be nice
    I realize it's not an app, but this might hold you over until MSN is supported. I don't use it so I cannot vouch for its quality. I just thought I'd offer this as a temporary solution. Good luck!

Instant Messaging
    There are a few web messengers you can use but I agree, the messenger app needs some work done. WLM, Yahoo, and Jabber are already built into the app but the code needs some modifications.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Have you ever tried Meebo? Allows you to login to your various IM accounts. there are a few "glitchy" rendering issues but is getting me through until the actual apps come out.

Darn forum won't let me post the URL...

www dot meebo dot com
    Hmm, could you use a jabber repeater with GTalk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    There are a few web messengers you can use but I agree, the messenger app needs some work done. WLM, Yahoo, and Jabber are already built into the app but the code needs some modifications.
    Yahoo messenger works wit Pre IM? I don't have it, but my yahoo mail works fine.

Could you please expand a bit on this? If true, it seems that Palm would only need to update WebOS to unlock the features...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Hmm, could you use a jabber repeater with GTalk?
    For the last time, this does not work!! I've spent hours and hours trying to get this working just to find out at the end that google does not allow you to use jabber repeaters with gTalk anymore. Yes, it did work in the past and you will find lots of links on how to do it, but it does NOT work anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Could you please expand a bit on this? If true, it seems that Palm would only need to update WebOS to unlock the features...
    Uh, yeah... If that code exists, I will enable it
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    For the last time, this does not work!! I've spent hours and hours trying to get this working just to find out at the end that google does not allow you to use jabber repeaters with gTalk anymore. Yes, it did work in the past and you will find lots of links on how to do it, but it does NOT work anymore.
    Wow, glad I tried to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Different icons are there in the messenger app. I bet the code is commented out somewhere.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  13.    #13  
    Different icons are there in the messenger app. I bet the code is commented out somewhere.
    If that is truly the case, why would they not have them all released when the phone launched. Seems kind of stupid to withhold a feature like that.
    He is correct. yahoo messenger does work! What i did was went and downloaded the MobiOS app from the Homebrew fourum. select the Yahoo app. select messenger, log in. And it worked!! sent 3 IM to a friend and it worked!! he also sent back IM. There you go gang.. it works!!!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Im also desperately waiting for Windows Live Messenger =) .....and an onscreen keyboard =)
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    waiting for beejive over here
    Give me MSN Messanger, IRC and Splashmoney and I'm all set!
    Quote Originally Posted by sugaman View Post
    He is correct. yahoo messenger does work! What i did was went and downloaded the MobiOS app from the Homebrew fourum. select the Yahoo app. select messenger, log in. And it worked!! sent 3 IM to a friend and it worked!! he also sent back IM. There you go gang.. it works!!!
    yeah but thats not like having a client for it.having to maunally refresh for messages isnt good,,palm needs to come on with something better.if it wasnt for this site mine would've went back within a few days,i got it at launch