Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Chapura released Echo to the App Catalog, and on their web site. Maybe some of you old-time Treo users will have a nice thing or two to say now

Echo is the Palm Desktop synchronization solution for Palm Pre

Also, for those (like me) who may not have even installed the Desktp Manager on their latest compute, you can download it from Palm here.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    great, but useless to me as it STILL only syncs via wifi, so if you have a desktop or no broadband/wireless router, you're STILL out of luck.

as soon as it syncs via usb and/or bluetooth, i'll buy it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by g0rey1 View Post
    great, but useless to me as it STILL only syncs via wifi, so if you have a desktop or no broadband/wireless router, you're STILL out of luck.

Have you considered getting a wireless router? Prices have gotten pretty reasonable.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Here is another problem with Echo. It requires Palm Desktop 6.2.2. For those who have tried this supposed "upgrade" from Palm Desktop 4.2, you will know that it is extremely buggy AND you lose colour support for calendar entries. WTF?!?!?!?!?

So close to getting a desktop solution....yet so far!!!

Please Chapura, upgrade this program to enable it to sync to 4.2!

Seems like everything to do with the PRE requires some kind of compromise and loss of previously enjoyed features.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Until Palm comes to their senses and releases a no-pay solution for syncing to Outlook (like it always has in the past) then I'll be happy with my Rube-Goldberg sync thru Google routine. gSyncit was the best $20 I've spent in a while.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    It requires Palm Desktop 6.2.2. For those who have tried this supposed "upgrade" from Palm Desktop 4.2, you will know that it is extremely buggy AND you lose colour support for calendar entries.
    ...and if you're like me, you'll lose half of your calendar in the 4.2->6.2.2 "upgrade" process that is required before you can run either Chapura or Palm's migration tool!!! Don't even think about un-installing 6.2.2 and re-installing 4.2, because hotsync somehow breaks in the process.

I spent a whole day two weekends ago comparing my old Treo and Pre's calendars. If getting 65% of the entries correct is a passing grade, Palm *failed* miserably.....
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

Expect to see this added very late in the game. You're a dieing breed my friend.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    Until Palm comes to their senses and releases a no-pay solution for syncing to Outlook (like it always has in the past) then I'll be happy with my Rube-Goldberg sync thru Google routine. gSyncit was the best $20 I've spent in a while.
    You realy feel that Palm, the company that almost "no profited" itself out of business needs to come up with a free solution to make you happy?

I prefer they not do anything, and leave the market wide open for others to fill. I'd rather pay for something that comes close to filling all of what I want in a PIM (or even a collection of "somethings") than have a free one that tries to fit what everyone else wants and does it poorly.

BTW, a bit of a history lesson. The original Palm desktop did not sync with Outlook. There was a company that wrote a program, that Palm eventually (several year later) licensed from them. Three guesses what the company was...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    ...and if you're like me, you'll lose half of your calendar in the 4.2->6.2.2 "upgrade" process that is required before you can run either Chapura or Palm's migration tool!!! Don't even think about un-installing 6.2.2 and re-installing 4.2, because hotsync somehow breaks in the process.

I spent a whole day two weekends ago comparing my old Treo and Pre's calendars. If getting 65% of the entries correct is a passing grade, Palm *failed* miserably.....
    I know this is likely to upset some folks, but Palm didn't write 6.2.2, Access did. Access bought the OS from Palm quite some time ago. Palm made the newer Treo's using the OS they had sold, but was then owned by someone else.

That was their real failure (in my opinion), turning over their OS to someone else.

I doubt that Chapura is going to write their software to work with older version of the desktop though.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I know this is likely to upset some folks, but Palm didn't write 6.2.2, Access did. Access bought the OS from Palm quite some time ago. Palm made the newer Treo's using the OS they had sold, but was then owned by someone else.

That was their real failure (in my opinion), turning over their OS to someone else.

I doubt that Chapura is going to write their software to work with older version of the desktop though.
    Technically, Palm spun off the OS into its own separate company called PalmSource. This was done at a time when there were numerous companies which licensed the PalmOS and complained about the power which Palm wielded over its own OS. So they spun it off. In the short term it was a fairly successful move but over the long term, it led to the situation we see today with Palm struggling to survive and PalmSource having been long ago bought out by ACCESS. Most of the problems we see with Palm today can be traced to this move.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Just heard from Chapura Support (yes....on a Sunday!!!). Great response time but very disappointing info. No plans to create a version that works with any pre-6.2 versions of the Palm Desktop. Damn!
    You realy feel that Palm, the company that almost "no profited" itself out of business needs to come up with a free solution to make you happy?
    No, it's to make them happy by making us happy. If they fail to provide the same sort of support that comes free with Windows Mobile phones, Blackberries, and iPhones, then THAT's how they hurt their business. They need to provide true desktop syncing with Outlook, end of story.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    No, it's to make them happy by making us happy. If they fail to provide the same sort of support that comes free with Windows Mobile phones, Blackberries, and iPhones, then THAT's how they hurt their business. They need to provide true desktop syncing with Outlook, end of story.
    What about all of the folks that don't use Outlook?

Seriously, I'm not being facetious. I never, in the entire time I had my PalmOS devices, synced with MS Outlook, because I didn't use MS Outlook (ironically, now I do, to a limited degree).

I used Novell GroupWise. Novell provided the sync tool to be able to syncronize Palm devices to GroupWise. That's the way it should be. They provide the needed tool(s) for their product(s), if they decide the market demands that.

Palm never provided a sync tool to any email system for Linux users.

However, Palm does currently provided a method to get your email from virtually any email system, right now, no matter what desktop OS you run, or what desktop email client you run on it.

They did this by abandoning the outdated notion of desktop synchronization.

The need to get the emails from the desktop application on a specific OS, that, got it from the server was done because the device had no direct access to those servers. Now it does. Time to bypass the "middleman".

In my opinion, Palm did it right this time, now they only need to fine-tune it.
    It sounds like this may be the product that will come close to doing what the Palm Desktop app accomplished with my Treo. My question is: What happens to the data I have added since getting the Pre June 6th? I obviously have not been using the Palm Desktop software since then. Will Echo 'know' that and include all the new appts., contacts, tasks, etc.? If so, is there anything that I need to do during setup to assure it gets done?
    $30, and it still doesn't work as well as plain old hotsync. Sounds like a great solution to me. NOT.

First, I'd much rather sync to outlook on the desktop, which still isn't available. But this is better that nothing. But I'd also like to have a calendar program that's even as good as what came on the Treo 600 to sync to my desktop. And yes, I'd like to have both these things included in the price of the Pre. It was included with all the Treos, and the iPhone comes with a desktop sync solution. So do BB's, although it's kind of half-assed. It's really a pretty basic feature that everyone else can figure out how to do.

I might well accept synching to the cloud as an alternative if Palm had implemented it decently, but they didn't. Some of your stuff syncs to the Profile, some of it syncs to google, or to exchange server. And some of it doesn't sync anywhere.

If my 755p crashes hard, or dies completely, I can do a hard reset or get a replacement, plug it into my desktop, hit the hotsync button, and get everything back. Simply, quickly, reliably. There's no way to do that, yet, on a Pre.

And if I should leave my Treo at home, or lose it, or just break it, I can go to any of my computers (because it syncs with multiple PCs, no problem) and have access to all of my contacts, calendar events, tasks and memos in one place. Can't do that on the Pre, either.

These aren't radical, new concepts in handheld devices. They're features that have been available on other devices as long as there have been smartphones. Echo is a start, but it's still only the PIM data, not everything. Why shouldn't I expect Palm's latest, greatest, most modern device to be at least as capable as the Treo 600 I had back in the stone age?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    Expect to see this added very late in the game. You're a dieing breed my friend.
    yeah, it's sad that the currently accepted security model for any internet-accessible device seems to be "there's so much information out there, no one cares about yours - don't worry!"

17.    #17  
    yeah, it's sad that the currently accepted security model for any internet-accessible device seems to be "there's so much information out there, no one cares about yours - don't worry!"

I think you've made a broad assumption on on what the "currently accepted security model" is. I've got my device syncing to the cloud. Securely.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I think you've made a broad assumption on on what the "currently accepted security model" is. I've got my device syncing to the cloud. Securely.
    I've never felt very secure when sinking into the clouds....luckily by morning the clouds are gone....
    I think the biggest problem with Echo is that you have to create a new Account on your Pre called "Palm Desktop" and create all the Contacts and Calendar entries in that profile. So, all your existing "Palm Profile" contacts or calendars don't sync with Echo. And I am not about to recreate all my contacts and Calendar entries with Echo in order to get this to work...and then, by doing this, you lose the benefit of the Palm Profile OTA Backups if you are not by your computer. So, to me this is a useless application unless they can actually sync the Palm Profile account.
    If you think your data stored on multiple servers in the cloud is secure, you haven't been reading the newspapers. And since the Pre model stores you data in multiple locations (e.g., google servers AND palm servers) there are multiple points of failure where your data can be compromised.

One can argue about how much security you need for your personal data, but trust me: nothing that's connected to the internet is truly secure. And if you're not using multi-factor authentication (e.g., user-id/password AND a hardware token), it's not even close to secure. Is the data stored on Google's and Palm's servers encrypted? If not, it's almost certainly hackable. The only question is whether anyone will bother.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast