the took 200 iphone users and only 40 pre users and called it a matching survey. I don't think so.
    11% of respondents felt that the Pre is difficult to use? OK... since I got blasted in another thread for making the comment that's currently going through my head I suppose I'll keep it to myself. Let's just say it has something to do with my generally low opinion of the intellectual capacity of the populous as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    In a survey of 200 3GS users conducted Aug. 4-11 by RBC Capital and ChangeWave Research, 99% pronounced themselves satisfied, of which 82% were "very satisfied."

In a matching survey of 40 Pre owners, 87% said they were satisfied and 45% "very satisfied."
    Well i see one major problem with the survey. There was 200 people in the iPhone survey and 40 in the Palm Pre. How biased.

Plus 87% of 40 is 34.8, rounded up to 35 people. So only 5 people disliked it? That's a smaller number then i expected.
    I know it's not a direct correlation, but look at the top 5 areas of "dislike" for the iPhone and Pre. Those percentages are about the same. Same thing with the top 5 areas of "likes" for both. Same thing. Then how does that come back to only 50% of the Pre owners like their device and 82% of the iPhone owners like their device. I would expect them to be very close since the areas of "likes" and "dislikes" are fairly close.

Very odd results.
  5.    #6  
    I can't believe so many people hate at&t.
    I had ATT a while ago and would not go back to them or sprint ever again!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    11% of respondents felt that the Pre is difficult to use? OK... since I got blasted in another thread for making the comment that's currently going through my head I suppose I'll keep it to myself. Let's just say it has something to do with my generally low opinion of the intellectual capacity of the populous as a whole.
    LOL, very delicately put!
    I used to do market research for a living, including writing survey and analyzing results, and I must say: I would find ANY survey suspect if 99% of the respondents answered the same way. Either the sample is not representative of a real population, or the questions were poorly worded, or something.

In short: there's absolutely no way that a valid survey should show 99% of iPhone users as a satisfied, because it's unreasonable to think that such a result is possible with any product. I'd even be suspicious of the results saying that 87% of Pre owners are satisfied, and if they really are, then Palm has reason to rejoice.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    If Philip Elmer-Dewitt is a professional writer, I'm not impressed with his understanding and ability to pass along an analysis of data. He states "In a matching survey of 40 Pre owners, 87% said they were satisfied and 45% "very satisfied."

If 87% are satisfied and 45% are very satisfied, that would indicate 132% of PRE owners are either satisified or very satisfied. Well, I wonder how the iFanboys are taking that stunning 132% - 99% defeat from the lowly little PRE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    If Philip Elmer-Dewitt is a professional writer, I'm not impressed with his understanding and ability to pass along an analysis of data. He states "In a matching survey of 40 Pre owners, 87% said they were satisfied and 45% "very satisfied."

If 87% are satisfied and 45% are very satisfied, that would indicate 132% of PRE owners are either satisified or very satisfied. Well, I wonder how the iFanboys are taking that stunning 132% - 99% defeat from the lowly little PRE!
    Actually, that's not necessarily _so_ terrible a sentence, because you can include the 45% who are "very satisfied" as part of the 87% total who are "satisfied." In other words, there were 42% who were just "satisfied" and 45% who were "very satisfied." It's like saying that people who are "very hungry" can be included in the overall group of hungry people.

But the entire survey itself is suspect, as I mentioned in my previous post.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    sample size is too low for both. but interestingly dissatisfaction with sprint is pretty low. And i'd totally agree with what they dislike:

Battery life,
    lack of apps
    bad media player.

Wonder why it's takes palm so long to improve the latter two. Media player seriously needs to fix some issues.
    interesting that this is in the Apple section of that site. And they only compare it to the pre. Not saying it's invalid cause i know most iphone users i run into are fanboys for it. But strikes me as a directed approach to pit the iphone aganst the pre to have the iphone displayed i a positive light. Otherwise why not ask about blackberry users.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Actually, that's not necessarily _so_ terrible a sentence, because you can include the 45% who are "very satisfied" as part of the 87% total who are "satisfied." In other words, there were 42% who were just "satisfied" and 45% who were "very satisfied." It's like saying that people who are "very hungry" can be included in the overall group of hungry people.

But the entire survey itself is suspect, as I mentioned in my previous post.
    Since thre are two categories, satisfied and very satisfied I disagree about it being :not necessarily _so_ terrible:.If he had worded it "of which 45% were very satisfied" I would agree. He clearly stated 87% satisfied AND 45% very satisfied. In math parlance, that is addition.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbphotos View Post
    the took 200 iphone users and only 40 pre users and called it a matching survey. I don't think so.
    Must be the ratio of iPhone users to Pre users??

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    What I find interesting is that hardware is not on that list of dislikes of the Pre after all the terrible reports on tech blogs and this forum. And that Sprint was actually a positve thing. That might seem counterintuitive to most people who haven't spent time with the device. I'm new to sprint and have been very happy with the service.

40 users does seem like a small sample. But I do find this result very positive. Now we just need to get developers to support this device while palm continues improving webos
    I would think that 87% is something to be proud of no matter what the circumstances. The sample size differences don't bother me too much, but 40 is a pretty small number. I think for statistical significance, you need 500 to determine 1 part in 100. So the accuracy of the Pre survey would be limited to 12.5%. Ie, the next lowest step below 100% could be 87.5%. Similarly for the iPhone survey, the next lowest step below 100% should be 97.5%. So the iPhone survey should be more accurate (based only on this statistical rule of thumb). Not sure if this applies to scientific surveys in the same way, since the samples are not drawn randomly but carefully chosen to mirror the larger population. Also not sure if these were scientific surveys.

I think Palm should actually be pretty happy with this survey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrow View Post
    I know it's not a direct correlation, but look at the top 5 areas of "dislike" for the iPhone and Pre. Those percentages are about the same. Same thing with the top 5 areas of "likes" for both. Same thing. Then how does that come back to only 50% of the Pre owners like their device and 82% of the iPhone owners like their device. I would expect them to be very close since the areas of "likes" and "dislikes" are fairly close.

Very odd results.
    A satisfied user can still have dislikes.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I'm not gonna call people stupid, just ignorant of the fact. Most people aren't stupid just don't have the time or patience to learn how to honestly use the tech.

For instance, we originally started our sprint venture with the instinct s30, and thank God for the Pre... I couldn't see myself stuck with the Instinct. But for my wife it's more than enough.

At first she loved how cool it was to up load to face book and surf the web (on the Instincts crappy browser) and she gets email on it and so on. I had to set that up, otherwise it would have never been done. I set up facebook and so on! She like to use it, but that's it. I on the other hand set up her phone, my phone and everything else tech in the house and everyone else's. I'm the resident computer guy in my house.

I remeber owning a 386 sx computer, you wanna talk about lag! Honestly if it weren't for the earlier computers I wouldn't have the patiance I have now and that's what seperates me from people that find the pre difficult to use...