Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My palm pre phone's touch screen took about the absolute worst time to stop responding for no apparent reason. After my wife just had her baby, which I was taking photos of during the delivery with my Palm, the touchscreen just stopped working. Everything else seems fine but I can't access the photos or download to my pc any of the pics. The phone wasn't josteled, dropped or put near any liquids. I've brought the phone into Sprint and they can't seem to help since without that touchscreen option where you access the USB drive, it just doesn't work! Please help me. My wife has been crying about this and Palm has been absolutely no help. Everytime I call them on their "Calif" line, I'm transferred to some out of country call center with names like John, Jennifer and they are absolutely no help.

I've read the forums regarding the OMAP3430 but can't seem to find any drivers that would access the palm.

Please help!!!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I just wanted to bump this, because as a father I can understand the importance of the photos when your child is born. I sat at my desk today for about 10 minutes and tried every jury-rigging combination I could find, trying to get the phone to slip into any type of mode where it would mount on the PC without pressing that button on the screen. Does anyone have any ideas to help him get the photos off this phone?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Have you tried posting to the Palm support forums? There might be some more tech-saavy Palm reps on there that might know of a way. I'm sorry man, my heart goes out to you and I sincerely hope that you recover those precious pics!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Wow best of luck getting those pictures off. I can't imagine what you are going through right now
    You need to root in and use sudo commands to copy the pictures over, it is doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
    You need to root in and use sudo commands to copy the pictures over, it is doable.
    Absolutely right, this is doable. You can root the phone without having any touchscreen capabilities, and then copy anything you need from the phone manually. The question is whether or not you feel up to the task of rooting your phone (its not that bad, but you should have SOME comfortability with linux). If you don't feel comfortable, you might want to find someone who's comfortable with linux. All you really have to do is follow a step by step guide, but if something goes wrong, you're gonna wish you knew what the hell you were doing so you can fix it and keep moving.

If you already have the phone rooted, ignore my babbling and have fun getting your pics back
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    How would the root, work, he could tyle upupdowndown..... but then how to slide the thing over..
    Quote Originally Posted by milandow View Post
    After my wife just had her baby
    Don't you mean "our baby"

Anywho, hope you get those pics
  9.    #9  
    How do I hack into and root in and use sudo commands without the touchscreen? Do you by chance know of the steps?
  10.    #10  
    You are absolutely right bjb nyj101. Our baby. Thank you for correcting me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    How would the root, work, he could tyle upupdowndown..... but then how to slide the thing over..
    Crap... I completely forgot about that. It might be time to start screaming at Sprint or Palm again. Maybe someone can find built-in keyboard controls to move sliders or something? Palm should really work on that.
    Hi milandow - There may be a way get into rooting mode without using the touchpanel. I'll send you a private message about this.
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 08/18/2009 at 02:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    my touchscreen stopped working to and when i put it on the charger sometimes it starts working again. Try slamming open and shut the keyboard till it works. thats what i did when it stopped working and i kept doing it and it would finally work after slamming it shut and open a few times
    One thing you could do but its risky is to get a working pre and swap the motherboard then pull your pics off and put them back together however this might void insurance/warranty
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    One thing you could do but its risky is to get a working pre and swap the motherboard then pull your pics off and put them back together however this might void insurance/warranty
    Great suggestion, but MIGHT? VOID WARRANTY?????

Yeah....just MIGHT!!!!
    I likey take apart thingies....
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    Unless what failed isn't the touchscreen itself, but a connection/controller on the mainboard for the touchscreen. Yeah and you will void your warranty for sure. The only part that is a maybe is if the guy at the sprint store notices you did this.
    Hmm.. Damn the touchscreen being required for either usb mode or dev mode.

This is an intriguing problem.. I'm looking into it
    you are SOL, I talked to the top of the line in Palm Corp and there is no way, see this thread

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1801826
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron View Post
    Hi milandow - There may be a way get into rooting mode without using the touchpanel. I'll send you a private message about this.
    Has anyone found a way to do this? This was the only post I was able to find with any hope of being able to do this, and it was discussed in private.
    My touch screen went out last night, hoping radio shack has another in stock so I can go exchange it here in a few.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast