Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Just a thought here. Would anyone else use an app that allowed the Pre to stream audio from a local network device? Or is it just me? I have my entire music library on a network storage device (D-Link DNS-323) and have been working toward being able to play music through the house on the home stereo, *without* buying a dedicated device to do so. Thought about it this morning (while playing with Net2Streams) and was curious if it would be worth someone (not me!) coming up with an app? Of course, the DNS-323 in particular can function as an iTunes server, so an app would further make the Pre function more in Apple's space.

Thoughts?
    A couple of people (myself included) have recommended to the creator of Media Remote to allow streaming to the Pre. It's a great looking program, but it only controls a player and dooesn't actually stream.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...mp-itunes.html
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I had seen that app in the HomeBrew section. Wonder if a server version could be created for boxes such as the DNS-323 that run on Linux as does the Pre? Something to think about!
    Last edited by eclipse31; 08/14/2009 at 11:24 AM.
    Looks like you would need an app that supports playing streams from a uPnP AV Media Server, since that appears to be functionality built into the DNS-323.

UPnP AV MediaServers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An alternative would be to use Orb on a PC to stream your media from the DNS-323. Not quite as nice because it requires another PC.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I for one would love to see a streaming app.
    me no. i live in a tiny apartment. and i'm not that fond of the pre music player. That said i think it's good for those who need it. What i would use is a decent application that streams music from my hard drive at home to my pre when i'm away from home. i've tried winamp, orb, and a few others. They are all so slow it's unusable or they don't work as desired. The interface is basically a web page you have to zoom for tiny letters. Stuff like that.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews View Post
    Looks like you would need an app that supports playing streams from a uPnP AV Media Server, since that appears to be functionality built into the DNS-323.

An alternative would be to use Orb on a PC to stream your media from the DNS-323. Not quite as nice because it requires another PC.
    Of course, the slickest solution would be to run server software native in Linux right on the DNS-323. Or to have a client app on the Pre that could support streaming from MediaTomb, Twonky, etc. that have Linux versions already in existence. Not a huge fan of having to run the DNS-323, plus another PC, to accomplish the task.