Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As of yesterday, I'm experiencing MASSIVE battery drain after having acceptable power consumption since I got the phone on release day. This seems to emanate from the CPU and not the battery. I get a full EVDO signal at home and work and have WiFi in both places. GPS is off. When I took the phone off the charger this morning with 100% charge, it was down to 52% an hour later. During that hour I only turned the phone on twice to check the battery level. Of course Gmail was working in the background, but that is normal.

I've also tested this in Airplane Mode and the condition continues.

The heat source is from the back of the phone but where the CPU is and not the battery. So something is causing the CPU to run continuously. A reboot hasnít helped and Iíve deleted any homebrew Iíve installed this week (just updates to a couple of apps).

Can anyone suggest something to try? As I mentioned, this is new behavior as of yesterday which consisted of two phone calls and some web surfing.
    There are web scaling scripts on the dev wiki as well as on here I have been using it for about a month with no issues and much better battery life.

It requires rooting and a bit of linux knowledge but you might want to check it out.
    strange, I had horrible battery life yesterday. I went from 18% to 0 in about 10 min with barely any use. other than that my battery life has been much better than most people have posted.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kngof9ex View Post
    strange, I had horrible battery life yesterday. I went from 18% to 0 in about 10 min with barely any use. other than that my battery life has been much better than most people have posted.
    That's been my experience as well - pretty good battery life. That being said, the battery still seems fine but if the CPU is constantly running it'll drain faster. Since nothing has changed configuration-wise, I guess I'll take a trip to Sprint on my way home. In preparation, I've removed all homebrew so I can scratch an "unofficial" program as being the culprit.
    I assume you're not using any sort of instant messaging (AIM or Google Talk). That was the one thing I found that drained the battery.

I imagine you could also try re-installing the phone with Web Doctor (although I don;t have any personal experience with that).
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    I assume you're not using any sort of instant messaging (AIM or Google Talk). That was the one thing I found that drained the battery.

I imagine you could also try re-installing the phone with Web Doctor (although I don;t have any personal experience with that).
    Correct, no IM apps are running. I might try the Web Doctor route if Sprint only offers to replace the device with a refurbished phone. The problem is so bad, and obvious when you put your hand on the phone, that I don't expect to have too much trouble at the Sprint store. I know, famous last words
    This happened to me yesterday morning. Dropped from 100% to 84% within about 15 minutes. Everything seemed really jerky and sluggish at that time as well So I rebooted and put it back on the touchstone while I got ready for work. After that it was fine.
    I know that this is probably going to **** off a lot of people, however, part of the culprit here is what Palm does with your phone, in the background, via the network. Not JUST the spying on you stuff (where you are, what you used, etc.) but the backups, sync's, etc., that cause the radio to be on. On other phones it was quite easy to determine if the radio was transmitting, just call your phone - if it rang, it wasn't transmitting... on the Pre, that isn't the case due to the 3G network allowing a Voice call to take precedence over a data call....

Experiment:

Next time you think your phone is hot, or the processor is draining your battery, place a call from or to the phone... hang up, wait a few minutes, and see if the phone cools down and starts heating up again...

I would venture a guess that the processor is NOT what's heating up, but the radio itself - either one will cause the battery drain, but if your phone is able to do ANYTHING, even if it's slightly choppy, then it's likely NOT to be the processor heating up.....

L
    Lee Ladisky
    With all the memory issues the device has it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is simply due to the OS running crap that really isn't even open and over time that accumulates to higher battery drain until it is all forced close with a reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky View Post
    I know that this is probably going to **** off a lot of people, however, part of the culprit here is what Palm does with your phone, in the background, via the network. Not JUST the spying on you stuff (where you are, what you used, etc.) but the backups, sync's, etc., that cause the radio to be on. On other phones it was quite easy to determine if the radio was transmitting, just call your phone - if it rang, it wasn't transmitting... on the Pre, that isn't the case due to the 3G network allowing a Voice call to take precedence over a data call....
    I think you may be right that this could be a problem sometimes, but the OP said he went into airplane mode, which turns off everything, and the problem did not stop.

I suspect there is some background process that is not turning off as it should when this happens.
    Might try a full OS restore to see if that helps. PITA but if you have something running (homebrew or not) that would fix it.
    I too have just seen in the past 2 days a change in battery life, but I think it might be the NFL app now that the preseason started. It has to be checking the web several times an hour or minute in order to ensure everyone is recieving the notificatoins for their teams.

Anyone else thing diff.?
    You can find out if there is some background process (other than a regular app) that's killing your CPU by logging in as root and typing "top". Normally there should be about 2-3% CPU utilization while idle.

In a somewhat related note, a little bird over here at my company (maker of a crucial component for the Pre, but I won't say more than that) says they've been working together with Palm and we should expect a software update soon with improved power management and increase in "general battery life". So it looks like things are going to get better still.
  14.    #14  
    I just went into the store and they did a free replacement. It was a refurbished Pre but had less wiggle than my original one. Should this happen again I'll wipe it clean and do a restore. If it continues, then I'd know it's a hardware issue. As it was, they were convinced after looking at it for a few minutes that it would take less time to replace it.

Hopefully this one will last. At least I have an extra charger and orange/black pouch now.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Odd.. I also had the same thing happen to me yesterday.. My Pre was on the touchstone all night as it usually is.. Grabbed it before work -- 100%. Listened to Pandora in the car for my 15 min drive to wrok.. By the time I got to work, it was down TO 30% remaining! I had to throw it on the USB at work when I got there.. Im usually on down to about 85-90% by the time I get to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Odd.. I also had the same thing happen to me yesterday.. My Pre was on the touchstone all night as it usually is.. Grabbed it before work -- 100%. Listened to Pandora in the car for my 15 min drive to wrok.. By the time I got to work, it was down TO 30% remaining! I had to throw it on the USB at work when I got there.. Im usually on down to about 85-90% by the time I get to work.
    Pandora is a battery life killer. Everyone should know this.

That said, 70% in 15 minutes doesn't sound right. What else did you have running?
    I've seen this myself. I suspect Pandora is pegging the CPU when paused and in the background, sometimes, not very often.

I haven't been near an SSH client and couldn't verify but I'm quite sure it's Pandora.
    I just went to terminal, rebooted the phone, re-opened just terminal and I was jumping between 26 and 46% usage. I'm connected via wifi but I have no other cards open besides the terminal. Only thing I could think of running without a card is switcharoo. I'm definitely not getting the best battery, is this normal?
    I also have experienced a change in my battery in the last day or two. Normally I can run til bedtime with about 30%. Yesterday I was at 20% by lunch time, no real change in my usage. Today I hit 20% by 1pm put in a spare battery and am at 30% by dinner.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I keep running out of gas when I drive my car.. go figure;/
    <duck>
    -m
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast