Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Oddly enough, today is day two of a massive battery drain as well. I did nothing different than before, stayed in the same service areas as all other days. Was at 100% at 8:30 AM and by 12 noon today got the 20% warning. Yesterday I got the same warning at roughly the same time. Bluetooth is off, I am not roaming nor have I used any of the AIM services. I received a phone call or two each day- in other words nothing on my end that was atypical over the last two days. Typically I can go the whole day until night time with still at least 40% remaining.
    Last edited by Psykik; 08/19/2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: more info
    Place witty signature here:
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I've seen this myself. I suspect Pandora is pegging the CPU when paused and in the background, sometimes, not very often.

I haven't been near an SSH client and couldn't verify but I'm quite sure it's Pandora.
    I was listening to PrePod on the way home from work yesterday and paused the feed I was listening to when I stopped at school to watch a bit of my son's football practice. Sitting in the bleachers I noticed my phone pocket was much warmer than usual. I closed the app and the heat went away.
    The night before last (after installing some more homebrew apps) I forgot to charge my Pre. When I checked it in the morning, the battery was totally dead. That had never happened to me before. It still continues to drain VERY quickly. I do not know if it is something Palm/Sprint is doing, if it is a hardware problem, or if it is one or more of the homebrew apps that I installed. Any ideas out there at this point?
    Could be any of those.

Id go to the sprint store and show them how fast its draining since it dropped so significantly in an hour.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Use top on the phone to see what's taking up the proc ?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I've found that the few times I've experienced severe drain, it helps to either -

a) pull out the battery for 5 seconds, then remount it

or (easier)

b) turn the phone off completely (hold down the power button), then turn it back on after letting the phone stay off for at least 5 seconds.

I don't know what the culprit is, but it may be a hardware/software interaction bug, as rebooting didn't help in these instances. I suspect that a hardware register is getting set improperly, and doesn't get cleared by the reboot.

Regarding an earlier post, IMHO, if the radio was putting out enough heat for you to feel, it would have to be capable of generating a much higher transmit signal than is normal for a cellphone. But, ya never know...

HTH,
    -JerryG
    This happened to me just today. I picked up my Pre off of my Touchstone at about 5pm, played Pandora on the way home (I haven't used Pandora in a while), for maybe twenty minutes total, and paused but left Pandora open when I came in the house. An hour or so later, my side case felt warm, and on pulling my Pre out, it was hot, towards the bottom, and battery was at 52%. That's never happened to me before. I closed everything out, but then rebooted just to be sure. It cooled right down after that.

My speculation is that Pandora or some other process was hung, but probably not using enough processor for the Pre to notice and reset itself. If I'm right, a reboot should always fix it. No amount of cpu scaling magic would keep a runaway process from draining your battery like this. It's a bug. As a precaution, it would be cool if the Pre would detect an unusual power drain that lasts too long and reset itself.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    It was really strange. I rebooted it and charged it, but it kept draining. It was warm to the touch as well. I removed and reinserted the battery and also deleted 2 or 3 apps. I had no problems with it draining so fast after that yesterday.
    I upgraded from a Treo 755p. I noticed it was running on EVDO Rev 0. I went into my pre dial pad, typed ##EVDO# (##3836#) and changed the EVDO radio from Hybrid Rev A to Hybrid Rev 0. When I was running on Rev A my battery would be dead about 6pm. After I made the change my battery was about 50% at 6pm. I would be curious if any else experiences similar results?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chacecon View Post
    I upgraded from a Treo 755p. I noticed it was running on EVDO Rev 0. I went into my pre dial pad, typed ##EVDO# (##3836#) and changed the EVDO radio from Hybrid Rev A to Hybrid Rev 0. When I was running on Rev A my battery would be dead about 6pm. After I made the change my battery was about 50% at 6pm. I would be curious if any else experiences similar results?
    For the less-EVDO literate of us out there can you say what difference this should make?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    It seems the phone gets quite warm with EVDO isn't available. When I feel it getting hot in my pocket and put it out it it's almost always showing '1x'.

Normally I use WiFi but this doesn't help when the phone is in screen-saver mode and shuts down the WiFi - so the phone uses 1x if that's all it can get.
    Are using Switcharoo Homebrew Applications? I do not of this burns the battery up, but I have mine set for 5 minutes.
    I have noticed this too over the past few days.

One thing I am curious about is if everyone here has installed Homebrew apps, as I have. And if so, was it one we all got as it became available and has some bugs. Like the switcharoo app that I have, but I've had it running well before noticing the battery issues.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    For the less-EVDO literate of us out there can you say what difference this should make?
    In short, dont know. I just took a look at my Treo 755p and saw what rev of EVDO it was running. I did not have battery problems with it. My Pre however would burn through a battery in about 8-10 hours. So, I remembered my wifes phone (motorolla Razor) when she first got it and the battery would last about 6 hrs on standby(no calls). I hack it and turned off EVDO and got about 2 days standby. So I figured EVDO may be causing the battery drain so I tried changing the EVDO rev and it worked for me. Internet speed seems the same. Saves me from buying a extended battery for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    It seems the phone gets quite warm with EVDO isn't available. When I feel it getting hot in my pocket and put it out it it's almost always showing '1x'.

Normally I use WiFi but this doesn't help when the phone is in screen-saver mode and shuts down the WiFi - so the phone uses 1x if that's all it can get.
    It is probably actively scanning for EVDO and using more power. If you are in a non-EVDO area I would set it to 1X so it stops looking.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12