1.    #1  
    So I've been slammed by emails from folks about how to get a new Palm Pre after the 30 day window. Instead of responding each email, I'm going to just give in and post a thread about it.

Now I have to warn all of you that I do not guarantee that this will work for all (if any of you). It might have been the situation that I had encountered or I might have just caught the Sprint Tech rep in a good mood. I have no clue. But the point of the matter is I got a NEW (yes, in new box and everything) Palm Pre after 67 days of purchasing my original one on launch date.

Also, keep in my mind that I was in this situation with my units: My first had two hairline cracks on the screen and getting ever so close to the touch part of the unit. My 2nd replacement reset and didn't come back on after 10 minutes of receiving it in the store. My 3rd replacement reset during the screen sliding less than 24 hours of receiving my unit. I went back to the Sprint store the very next day and they ordered me a new battery. The new battery worked but in addition, my screen was way too loose. The screen would actually make a clicking sound (screen hitting the keyboard while close) when I would press down on the screen while surfing.

Now, I could have been happy and settled for a working battery and refurbished phone but I really was not. I couldn't take the fact that while the unit was closed, it wiggled to no end. Additionally, it didn't help when I checked the warranty date on it and it said June 5, 2009.

I finally called Sprint Corporate (customer phone number) and spoke with a support rep and then was transferred to a tech rep. Here's an outline of what I told her:

1. Explained my current situation with my current replacement phone.
    2. Explained in full detail about my first unit (explain to them that you did get this phone on launch date) and explain any addtional problems you had with other replacement units.
    3. At this point, the tech rep should give you two options. The first is that they can send you a unit from their warehouse but it would be a reburb. The second (and she stated that she prefers me to go this route) is to go to the store, let her know when you plan on going there and she would call you around that time. (This made me VERY nervous since the timing had to be perfect).
    4. When you get to the store, ask to speak with the manager and let him/her know that you spoke with Sprint Corporate in regards to obtaining a new phone and that this person will be calling you on your phone very shortly.
    5. The call should come through and the Tech Rep will ask you to speak with the manager while you're on the phone so she can listen in.
    6. You ***should*** get new phone at this point.

LIke I said, I'm not sure if it was the rep I had or what but she was amazing. She even told me to tell the manager to not take anything out of the box unless they do it in front of me. She also told me how to spot a refurb from a new unit even if they both come out of a box (the refurbs will clearly state "Refurbished" on the actual box). She then told me that if the manager hands me a refurbished phone, I should so "no" and call Sprint Corporate when I get back into my office.

Also, I'm not sure if there's this struggle between corporate and Sprint Stores but as I was relaying messages back and forth from the phone to the manager, the tech rep at corporate was highly annoyed when the manager said to me "We'll TRY our best to get you a new phone". She then restated over again, "You need a new phone. After all you've been through". She also called me back 30 minutes later to check up on me to see what I got my new phone!

I did tell her that was way past my 30 days and she realized this from the very beginning when I called Sprint.

You might also want to mention the articles that you've been reading about the small hardware/quality improvements that Palm has made over the last few weeks to the units.

Not sure if I left anything out here but I think the most important thing here is to not be a jacka$$ over the phone. I was actually very calm. Actually, I was probably exhausted from going through this over and over again and at that point, I didn't even care. But again, just remember that it's not Sprint's fault. They didn't make the phone. Just tell them your story (professionally) and let that person make the determination based on what protocal he/she thinks would benefit your current situation.

Oh...I never said "I want a new phone". However, I did mention that I read a few articles and blogs and how there's multiple sources that say that warranty dates of after July 1, 2009 are experiencing increased hardware quality. I also told her that I did punch in the ##786# on my dialpad to get my warranty date (which was 6/5/2009 for my 2nd replacement).

I probably spoke with her for about 45 on the phone first before she told me to go to the store to get new unit. If you've been doing your research about the issues, etc and you know what you're talking about, then call in with that confidence - but don't go in with the "customer is always right" mentality. I've worked in customer service for years and trust me, if you come in with that attitude, we'll be as nice as possible to you but you're not gonna get what you want.

Not sure if I left anything out. I have to get to work. I'm really glad I finally got my new phone.

Also, Sprint customer service rocks! I'm sorry to hear about other people's experiences but I've called in several occasions the last month and I've gotten 4 different people and they are just amazing. You cannot get this kind of support from AT&T or other providers for that matter. And considering that I got my new unit after 60 days of purchase says a lot.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Very excellent and interesting article.

I must add though...make sure that you bought your pre from a corporate store before you try this. I personally work for an indirect preferred retailer (only sells sprint, NOT a kiosk) and I can tell you flat out that there's no way that my store could do this.

One option that you might have along similar routes would be to go through insurance (which I hope to God you have-- this is a Palm Pre you're using here! aka $549 outright) and ask to be credited the $100 cost of the phone on your next bill. Would it work? No idea, but while you're wrangling around in situations like above, they just might do it. Insurance only gives brand new phones, which is why you have to pay.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    So long story short, you got real lucky.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    That's just lucky. I started to have problems with my pre and they are giving me a refurb or nothing. I've talked to 10 different people, transferred from one place to another and still no conclusion on this matter. And just like you, I didn't state I want a new phone and mentioned the articles and news about the difference in build quality; and I am on day 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    So long story short, you got real lucky.
    I think you've missed the point of the OP. The OP is not just trying to tell a story. He's trying to relay to anyone with a bad phone that there may be a way to get a replacement. And further, suggesting that if you try to get a replacement, don't to be a cocky a$$ when trying to do it. In other words, the OP is suggesting that perhaps it wasn't entriely luck.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I think you've missed the point of the OP. The OP is not just trying to tell a story. He's trying to relay to anyone with a bad phone that there may be a way to get a replacement. And further, suggesting that if you try to get a replacement, don't to be a cocky a$$ when trying to do it. In other words, the OP is suggesting that perhaps it wasn't entriely luck.
    I understand, it was just my lame attempt at humor. In reality though, getting any overworked underpaid csr to go above and beyond to the point of being your personal advocate with a sprint store manager is on the verge if not complete luck of the draw. It is true you catch more flies with honey than vinegar and that applies to all aspects of crisis/problem management. My experience with sprint corporate stores has been more wild west than highly structured professionals so the fact that the manager even listened to the csr is luck of itself.
  7.    #7  
    Like I said, I dunno if it was just the day, the person I spoke with or what. All I know is, I spoke in full detail my situation and the tech person made sure to call me when I was in the store and then called me back 30 minutes later to check up on me.

If it was luck, then fine, but I wish I knew this person's name so I can call Sprint and say "hey...you need more people like this".

Also, the workers log the situations and what happened. If they are breaking protocal, then they risk *something*, I believe. So this may have been a "last resort" type of process in which she saw it as time for me to just get a new phone. No idea.

But anyway, I wish everyone luck if they do try this. I really was not expecting to end up with a new phone and a spare battery but I did and it does change the way I see Sprint. I was with them from 2000 to 2003 and then came back just last year. If Sprint doesn't tank ffrom bleeding customers, then I am sticking with Sprint due to this event.

Oh yea...additionally, I would like to state that it wasn't a very cut and dry situation. I've probably spent a total of 100 bucks additional (not including the time lost by going into the store multiple occasions during my own work hours and the time on the phone). I live and work in downtown Philly and had to cab it to the Sprint store (10 bucks each way) on several occasions, paid for parking (when i decided to drive), and the multiple "skins" i've had to repurchase due to the replacements. And not to sound melodramatic here but its actually quite stressful to have your normal 9 to 5 days turned into a game of cat and mouse with the sprint reps (in the store and over the phone).
    Last edited by chiliu78; 08/14/2009 at 12:58 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Epena View Post
    Very excellent and interesting article.

I must add though...make sure that you bought your pre from a corporate store before you try this. I personally work for an indirect preferred retailer (only sells sprint, NOT a kiosk) and I can tell you flat out that there's no way that my store could do this.

One option that you might have along similar routes would be to go through insurance (which I hope to God you have-- this is a Palm Pre you're using here! aka $549 outright) and ask to be credited the $100 cost of the phone on your next bill. Would it work? No idea, but while you're wrangling around in situations like above, they just might do it. Insurance only gives brand new phones, which is why you have to pay.

YES! Has to be from an actual "corporate" store. That's actually one of the first things that the Sprint corp rep asked me.
  9.    #9  
    Also, prior to making her "decision", she did put me on hold for a good 10 minutes. Then when she came back, she gave me those 2 options to work with. So obviously she went to a "higher up" for guidance. This call was escalated up one level (I believe) to this tech person. Whoever she went to, I dunno, but whoever it was, he/she gave this person the authority to tell me to go to the store and demand a new phone.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I spoke with my local rep and the corporate CS, both said they were only able to order a replacement that was a refurb. We'll see if it fixes all my issues, but Im hoping they dont just stick that foam pad in the batter compartment and call it a day.

They are overnighting me the Pre, so I'll have it tomorrow and report back.
    I got a new Palm Pre from Sprint, it was like pulling teeth but it worked. I wrote about it:

Gadgets on the Go: Palm rolling out new Palm Pres with better build quality

My new Pre has a better build quality and I'm not having the slider reset issue anymore, I posted a video comparing the two.

Gadgets on the Go: Video build quality comparing two Palm Pres

They'll try and tell you they can't send you a new one, persistence and the threat of switching to Verizon or AT&T has a way of changing their mind. Good luck!
    Jimmie Geddes