1.    #1  
    I bought the palm pre in the middle of July, I had the phone for less than a month when the external speaker blew out. So I went to sprint to have it replaced, they took my phone for a half an hour, while I sat there waiting as they did a hard reset on my phone (how that helps the speaker I cant tell you) After 30 minutes they called me back up and told me they could do nothing because my phone had been dropped (which was not true), I stated that it had not been dropped and they then told me that they "believed" it had.... this made me angry and i stated again that it had not been dropped.

They then told me that they had to speak with a manager, I again began to wait...after another 30 minutes had gone by, I saw the manager of the sprint store sitting with my phone apart, and battery out blowing on it with an air gun... they said "we are putting air on it to see if maybe it will fix it".... (I still don't understand how blowing air on my phone would have fixed the blown speaker.)

Anyway after he blew on my phone for 5 or 6 minutes, he gave it back to the tech and he called me over and said he was going to order me a replacement phone because they don't give out the phones that are in the sprint stores.... (note i had only had this phone two weeks, which should have qualified for a under 30 day swap... but they said no.)

So they ordered me a phone and told me "its on back order so we can't tell you when it will come in, it could be 3 days or 3 months, we just don't know." They said they would call me when it came in, I left after 2 hours with the same phone and speaker. I waited one week and called them to find out that my new phone had been in and I had received no phone call. I went to pick up my new phone, got it activated and left.

I have had my new phone for three weeks and it will not connect to wifi networks (and never did) and low and behold... ANOTHER BLOWN SPEAKER... I have to go back to sprint and get my phone replaced yet again... Who do I blame, Sprint or Palm... I think that sprint is to blame for part of this, they should have tested my wifi before giving me the phone and obviously failed to do so... and the speaker I guess is palms fault.

Not to say that this phone isn't amazing and won't be the best phone out after the app catalog is revamped, but I think that sprints customer service and palm have both fallen short of the mark in this case.

,Brad
    Sounds like the Sprint store is full of idiots. Why did you let them push you around? Seriously, a reset and blowing air on it won't fix a blown speaker. Then to let them order one for you? Hell, I bet they never ordered one and when they were surprised you called back, they just said yes.

If it's under 30 days they are obligated to exchange it with a new one as per their policy. Why would you just agree to them not honoring their policy?
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    2 phones and 2 blown speakers? How do you know they're "blown"? Did you do the ear phone plug trick to make sure it wasn't the jack? (several threads already running about that)

The odds of you getting 2 phones, both that end up "blowing" speakers is quite unlikely. There's a common thread that it aching to be discovered.
    As a supervisor at a Sprint call center, I can tell you this is a chronic issue that we in regular customer care and Premier Care CONSTANTLY battle. Seriously, a LARGE part of why Sprint customer service ranks so low is due to the service received in their stores. The stores are full of poorly trained sales persons completely uncommitted to resolving customers issues, and only concerned with making a buck. As a one of the previous posters said, don't let those morons push you around; threaten to escalate them to corporate (all you have to do is call customer care and give them the store # and/or address) if they don't assist you. It usually works, and if it does, send an email with the information straight to Dan Hesse at dan at sprint.com (trust me, from experience, the response on both positive and negative escalations for both care and stores to that address are phenomenally fast and decisive.) Basically, don't let a bunch of idiots at the store ruin your perception of Sprint. Any problems, call care, and we'll resolve the issue.
    I completely agree with huntryan. I called Sprint Cust Care because there was 400 long distance minutes from Australia being charged to my account. Granted, I was in Australia but they have no CDMA for me Pre so I was a bit confused. Anyway, they resolved the matter immediately and credited everything back to my account. (Turns out they forgot to deactivate my old phone which had a Sprint SIM card in it. I sold it while I was there.)
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcoc2 View Post
    I completely agree with huntryan. I called Sprint Cust Care because there was 400 long distance minutes from Australia being charged to my account. Granted, I was in Australia but they have no CDMA for me Pre so I was a bit confused. Anyway, they resolved the matter immediately and credited everything back to my account. (Turns out they forgot to deactivate my old phone which had a Sprint SIM card in it. I sold it while I was there.)
    A Sprint SIM card? CDMA (the Sprint network) does not use SIM cards. If you had a SIM, then you had a Nextel iDEN device.
    Or a BB 8830 world phone..
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    2 phones and 2 blown speakers? How do you know they're "blown"? Did you do the ear phone plug trick to make sure it wasn't the jack? (several threads already running about that)

The odds of you getting 2 phones, both that end up "blowing" speakers is quite unlikely. There's a common thread that it aching to be discovered.
    What kind of music do you have coming out of that speaker?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    These people should henceforth be referred to as "storons". I always have better luck with the 800 people as opposed to the high-school dropouts with pants 5 inches too long who insist on running software tests for broken hardware etc. And if the phone in people tell you to go to a store just tell them you did and they couldn't help so you called them. It is just how Sprint is (12 years worth). I don't imagine other companies are any different...And thanks to huntryan for telling it straight.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Are you sure your speakers were blown? All Pres sound really crappy on the 2 highest volume settings... almost like a blown speaker.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brad927 View Post
    I bought the palm pre in the middle of July, I had the phone for less than a month when the external speaker blew out. So I went to sprint to have it replaced, they took my phone for a half an hour, while I sat there waiting as they did a hard reset on my phone (how that helps the speaker I cant tell you) After 30 minutes they called me back up and told me they could do nothing because my phone had been dropped (which was not true), I stated that it had not been dropped and they then told me that they "believed" it had.... this made me angry and i stated again that it had not been dropped.

They then told me that they had to speak with a manager, I again began to wait...after another 30 minutes had gone by, I saw the manager of the sprint store sitting with my phone apart, and battery out blowing on it with an air gun... they said "we are putting air on it to see if maybe it will fix it".... (I still don't understand how blowing air on my phone would have fixed the blown speaker.)

Anyway after he blew on my phone for 5 or 6 minutes, he gave it back to the tech and he called me over and said he was going to order me a replacement phone because they don't give out the phones that are in the sprint stores.... (note i had only had this phone two weeks, which should have qualified for a under 30 day swap... but they said no.)

So they ordered me a phone and told me "its on back order so we can't tell you when it will come in, it could be 3 days or 3 months, we just don't know." They said they would call me when it came in, I left after 2 hours with the same phone and speaker. I waited one week and called them to find out that my new phone had been in and I had received no phone call. I went to pick up my new phone, got it activated and left.

I have had my new phone for three weeks and it will not connect to wifi networks (and never did) and low and behold... ANOTHER BLOWN SPEAKER... I have to go back to sprint and get my phone replaced yet again... Who do I blame, Sprint or Palm... I think that sprint is to blame for part of this, they should have tested my wifi before giving me the phone and obviously failed to do so... and the speaker I guess is palms fault.

Not to say that this phone isn't amazing and won't be the best phone out after the app catalog is revamped, but I think that sprints customer service and palm have both fallen short of the mark in this case.

,Brad
    Sorry to hear the issue , but your post look a bit suspicious , the store guys will never give trouble if you are within the 30 day period.
    Once you cross the 30 day period, they have to have permissions and such to swap phones.

Can you tell us which state the store is located ?
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I dont believe it. and this is the wrong forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    What kind of music do you have coming out of that speaker?
    I had the same question when I first read the post. Are you using the replacement ring tones with pumped up volume and and ring volume set to max?
    Yess! finally someone with the same problem as Me. Ive had my pre since about2 weeks after the release. My sister and I both got it the same day. I'm on my 3rd shes still on her 1st. My first one lasted about 3 weeks. With the 1st phone, as anyone would, I wanted to test drive it and see what i could do. I used the Nav, Pandora, Different Ringtones, ect. 2nd one i was very careful, never had it turned up all the way, never used pandora or downloaded any ringtones. One week later i used the Nav. Blown Speaker. 3rd one now, And now the speaker is very quiet even turned up all the way. it doesnt sounds Crackly or distorted. ( I know what a blown Speaker sounds like thank you ). Im trying a Hard reset on it now and seeing if itll do anything. Nothin to lose at this point. Thank God for Phone insurance. But the Pre is beginning to seem pretty useless in my eyes. My only regret is using my Pre-Cut phone films i bought on ebay on the last two. only one left and im waiting to use that one when I'm convinced Palm has fixed this ridiculous problem.
    i am not a big fan of sprint customer service. too many problems with them in the last 5 years.