1.    #1  
    ...after the developer decides to take the app to the app store and charge for it?

Will folks be able to keep & run their last free version? Once something is no longer available from homebrew/filecoaster, is the only way to reinstall it via quick install in dev mode?

Just curious...

Tom
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    If an app went from freeware to the app catalog would be a different version with a different license. You'd keep the one you have, but would have to pay if you wanted latest updated version.
    Yeah as long as the developer didn't code in something to prevent it from working after a certain date then you'll be able to continue to use it.

Though I'd recommend buying the App Catalog version to support the developer.
    Yes! If it gets to the app store or any app store & is no longer "homebrew" installs then the developer should be paid for it. Hey, you/we got to have it early for free.
  5.    #5  
    I guess my post wasn't clear - I wasn't asking for opinions on ethics (tho I in no way mean this as a flame to those who offered such opinions).

I'm interested in the mechanics of such a scenario, especially in light of the recent Kindle experience where some people had paid-for content removed remotely.