1.    #1  
    I'm just spit balling here but wouldnt that just be amazing. I am NOT a genious(lol) but i mean if you can charge without cords why not be able to transfer data with out them. I think if this could be available in an update the touchstone would severely raise in sells. Let me know with any thoughts. What do you think? Is it possible?

-Jon
    I think the deal breaker is that the touchstone cannot be powered through a computer's USB port.

Even so, the data transmission would have to be radio-like, but with no standard that I know of. Maybe a bluetooth or wifi connection to the computer is the way to go.
  3.    #3  
    ok see i dont own a touchstone so i didnt know if it could be powered through computor... thats weird that it cant
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    I think the deal breaker is that the touchstone cannot be powered through a computer's USB port.

Even so, the data transmission would have to be radio-like, but with no standard that I know of. Maybe a bluetooth or wifi connection to the computer is the way to go.
    It could be done through BlueTooth if the stupid cell phone companies would enable / provide the Bluetooh Profiles. But that don't because they want to control the data pipelines.

WiFi used, but still.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by lookngood18 View Post
    ok see i dont own a touchstone so i didnt know if it could be powered through computor... thats weird that it cant
    It's not weird. The touchstone has a current requirement that USB's normally do not meet. The booklet that comes with the TS also shows that a USB connection is not a valid one.
    In theory, a Touchstone-like device could be made to transmit data. The principle is sound. Magnetic induction has been used since the dawn of the electrical age to transfer information, in things like microphones, guitar pickups, speakers, etc. There's absolutely no reason it couldn't be used to transfer digital information as well.

In fact, remember those old 1980's modems that you would plop your telephone on? Those, in essence, were an example of exactly this principle.

The Touchstone, itself, however, is not capable of doing this, at least not on its own. At the very least, an external power supply would need to be employed, since the TS requires more juice than a USB port can put out.

It is a good idea, though. Theoretically, such a trsnsfer mechanism could be very fast and ver secure, not to mention convenient. It's doubtful anyone would ever develop it, since radio (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.) is already working well enough, but it's still a good idea.