webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Voice recorder app?
Voice recorder app?

Old 05/07/2010, 11:20 AM   #41 (permalink)

Really? Strange... I just downloaded it yesterday. The icon is a picture of a man's face. it records audio because I just used it.
Attached Images
File Type: png precorder_2010-07-05_092422.png (28.4 KB, 39 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by cashdude1971; 05/07/2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Add a picture
cashdude1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: cariv
Old 05/07/2010, 04:01 PM   #42 (permalink)

and to clarify again with vrec:
connect pre via USB Drive
make folder 'vr'
Vrec will save files there
ahsirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2010, 05:33 PM   #43 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
With zcorder if I understand you have to use the musicplayer or internalz to view/listen to recordings once you close the file. With Vrec they are saved in the app and one click to play what you record....That's if I'm looking at both apps correctly!!!
The play button at the bottom right of zcorder main screen plays the recording.

More choice in apps is great - good to hear that there are now two audio recorders for the Pre to choose from.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ahsirg
Old 05/08/2010, 12:34 PM   #44 (permalink)

Yep, choice is always welcome, if you're not Apple, Inc. I guess
ahsirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2010, 03:29 PM   #45 (permalink)

Want an easy built-in voice recorder on the Palm Pre?
Then use the video recorder app now part of all Pre's with the latest firmwares.
Start the camera app; click on the video recorder icon; start the recording; put your finger over the camera lens to save bytes used in recording; say your memo; stop the recording.
You now have a voice memo on your Palm Pre.

11 secs of voice recording; finger over camera lens to minimize bytes used; took up 300KB of data.
tkjunkmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2010, 05:47 PM   #46 (permalink)

Why not just install zcorder?
magistus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2010, 06:25 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magistus View Post
Why not just install zcorder?
How about because I and many others don't hack our phones and just run Palm provided firmware.
tkjunkmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2010, 04:25 AM   #48 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjunkmail View Post
How about because I and many others don't hack our phones and just run Palm provided firmware.
Then you will not be able to use a voice recorder only application (and many other things that are not allowed by Palm in the app catalog yet), because "hacking your phone" (your term, not mine - I prefer to use the phrase "running homebrew applications using the official Palm-supported palm-install tool to install them") is the only way you can access the microphone at the moment.

BTW, homebrew applications don't modify the Palm provided firmware, they run on top of unmodified Palm provided firmware, just like all the other applications from the official app catalog.

But it's your choice, and of course running homebrew is not for everyone, but the choice should be made with the real information in hand, rather than people thinking that running homebrew is the same as hacking the firmware on other platforms.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Last edited by rwhitby; 05/16/2010 at 05:41 AM.
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: verwon
Old 05/16/2010, 05:26 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't 'hack' mine either. But I do use Preware. Try it, you'll like it. You can have all of those features now while waiting for Palm to get around to putting them out.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2010, 09:38 AM   #50 (permalink)

Conversation Recorder would be great. What I am hoping would be to have a record button pop up, when you answer a call. if you press that, the entire conversation should be recorded and saved as an mp3 or wav file. It should stop recording when the call is over. That should be really cool, if soneome could do it. I am willing to pay for one.
mkrishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2010, 10:22 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
Conversation Recorder would be great. What I am hoping would be to have a record button pop up, when you answer a call. if you press that, the entire conversation should be recorded and saved as an mp3 or wav file. It should stop recording when the call is over. That should be really cool, if soneome could do it. I am willing to pay for one.
You know it's illegal to record a conversation in many states without notifying the other party, right?
RMB175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2010, 01:09 PM   #52 (permalink)

zcorder works Great
Addie_Goodvibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2010, 02:43 PM   #53 (permalink)

zcorder is a good program. I just wish palm would enable shazam
tooabstract788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2010, 09:00 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

no need for shazam. Just google the lyrics you know and it will find the song for you. I have never failed to find a song this way....
hatchettjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2010, 09:10 PM   #55 (permalink)

But Shazam is much cooler and easier.

Then again, if I want to know who did a song or details on it, I have a person for that whom I can just email. '"'
Old 09/18/2010, 10:09 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
no need for shazam. Just google the lyrics you know and it will find the song for you. I have never failed to find a song this way....
How well's that work for you when you're listening to a jazz song with no lyrics? Or a classical piece?

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
Doug Hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2010, 11:31 PM   #57 (permalink)
Wax

Until the API is opened enough to provide true conversation recording, Google Voice actually works pretty well for this purpose, if you have a GV number forwarded to your Pre. I've used it a few times to record interviews that I need to transcribe and the sound quality of the call recipient is perfect; your voice, on the other hand, is only recorded as well as how it sounds coming into the mic. But the other end is recorded straight from the "line source."

Anyway, you obviously have to have a Google Voice account to use this feature. Also, call recording in GV is currently supported for incoming calls only, however there's an easy work-around to record outbound calls... Here are the instructions, taken from the official Google Voice help forums (a user submitted this solution, along with an explanation of why GV hasn't adopted outbound call recording yet):

Quote:
If they enabled recording outgoing calls it could cause problems when you dialed automated lines and had to key in numbers. Like calling the bank. It's not a pretty way to do things but if you want to record an outgoing call you need to initiate it using a Call Widget.

Call Widgets can be put on any web page, and allow people to call from that web page. When somebody clicks on the widget, we call them and connect them to you. Your number is always kept private. You can create multiple call widgets and have different settings for each of them.
Once you create that "Call Widget" you can just copy a shortcut to it on your desktop or in your Web browser and use it whenever you need to record an outbound call.

Note: The GV recording feature plays a short announcement to both parties that the call is being recorded. I think I remember reading that there is also a work-around or trick to disable it, but I can't remember where. But like I mentioned, for things like interviews it works great!
Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2010, 03:12 PM   #58 (permalink)

theres been an app out for this for a while.... zcorder! look for it in preware, or on the hombrew apps list here!
stoneyyay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2010, 03:18 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hillman View Post
How well's that work for you when you're listening to a jazz song with no lyrics? Or a classical piece?
if you are that sophisticated, you should already know who is playing
hatchettjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2010, 03:18 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
i think you should know, downloading hombrewed apps on your palm pre IS NOT HACKING! web OS is OPEN SOURCE downloading and installing these apps WILL NOT void your warrenty HACKING your pre would be for example making a pre plus work on a carrier that only has the 4 gb pres i think sprint for example , or installing govnah and overclocking your pre ..
palm actually semi encourages 3rd party developers... thus their developer programs, anyone can apply!! even u
stoneyyay is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0