Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I'd say you're old enough to own a Pre is you're old enough to be able to type full words and complete sentences with punctuation in internet forum's where people are actually trying to read what's being said, not texting Suzy about Bobby who likes Cathy but has detention because she skipped class with JoeBob.

BTW, for the poster above, there are 1st and 2nd grade kids at my daughters school with iPhone's and Blackberry's. She'll be in middle school next year so I'm waiting to see what's next. She's stuck with an exclaim because she didn't want to have an Instinct and matching her friend who already had one.

Oh, and when I was out of high school, we didn't know what the hell a cell phone was. A few years later people started carrying them. Cost started at about $4500 but it came with a neat suitcase you had to carry with it.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    I'd say you're old enough to own a Pre is you're old enough to be able to type full words and complete sentences with punctuation in internet forum's where people are actually trying to read what's being said, not texting Suzy about Bobby who likes Cathy but has detention because she skipped class with JoeBob.

BTW, for the poster above, there are 1st and 2nd grade kids at my daughters school with iPhone's and Blackberry's. She'll be in middle school next year so I'm waiting to see what's next. She's stuck with an exclaim because she didn't want to have an Instinct and matching her friend who already had one.

Oh, and when I was out of high school, we didn't know what the hell a cell phone was. A few years later people started carrying them. Cost started at about $4500 but it came with a neat suitcase you had to carry with it.

oh and in case u havnt noticed im taking it ur old.. our generation.. ppl chat with a much abbreviated mood.... its called txt chat buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lookngood18 View Post
    oh and in case u havnt noticed im taking it ur old.. our generation.. ppl chat with a much abbreviated mood.... its called txt chat buddy
    I'm not THAT old, 30!!, but I find the abbreviated writing highly irritating, especially outside of the texting context. There's little need for it and, in my experience, is making kids atrocious spellers and writers. It's not something to be proud of or that you should be touting as a strong point of your generation.
    Last edited by oddlou; 08/14/2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    In text, sure, but in other places, it's just lazy and disrespectful. But then, I rarely "text chat" because it's just as easy to "type" full words ('cause I can even spell still ) even in texts.
    I actually didn't know much of the text chat until after highschool. I only started using it when I got stuck pressing numbers three times just to get to a letter. The only phrase I used was lol and sometimes btw or ttyl. I did start to use u a lot, not by choice but by habit but its ok because the pre fixes that and my forgetting of appostrophies, only problem, pre keyboard makes more errors as my fingers are big. Spelling has always been my week point though.. I was a pretty matture teen. Now I'm 23. I always dreamed of a GID phone and am glade one exists. (GID Stands for getting things done and is not text talk)

Anyway my first phone was at 14. Nokia prepaid. Ah those days.... Makes me love my pre more
    Age is just a state of mind. I'll still be texting,browsing,etc at 100 if I'm able. You're judgement's are only for the moment, the one that count's comes later.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I'm not THAT old, 30!!, but I find the abbreviated writing highly irritating, especially outside of the texting context. There's little need for it and, in my experience, is making kids atrocious spellers and writers. It's not something to be proud of or to you should be touting as a strong point of your generation.
    I'm 15 and i agree with everything you have said. I don't understand why kids my age can't type a sentence with out abbreviating words. And it takes me like a full minute to understand a 15 word sentence that they made into 10 letters. Oh and by the way i'm getting my Palm Pre in t-minus 29 days.
    I'm 19 and I've been using Palm devices for 2 years now (started out with a Centro, switched to the Pre in the middle of last month) and I don't know that I would have had much use for it in high school, but now that I'm in college it's perfect for me...instant access to everything I need including my college email (which most other phones can't do, even my beloved Centro). I like that it has more of a business functionality because it helps me to stay more organized and, frankly, while I do play some games on my phone...I chose my phone based on what would be most useful, not which one would have the most games. The Pre is a lot easier to use than the iphone or other similar phones, and the messaging and call quality are a lot better than what friends have experienced on other phones.

Based on your typing ability, I'm guessing that the reactions at the Sprint store had little to do with your actual age and everything to do with how you carried yourself. I'm a year older than you and HATE text chat...I don't even use it when I'm texting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander M View Post
    I'm 15 and i agree with everything you have said. I don't understand why kids my age can't type a sentence with out abbreviating words. And it takes me like a full minute to understand a 15 word sentence that they made into 10 letters. Oh and by the way i'm getting my Palm Pre in t-minus 29 days.
    You are wise beyond your years, young sir. It sucks that you have to wait 29 days...that seems like a long time to wait for something as sweet as the Pre.
    As long as you have a good fake ID then I say go for it.....

Wait.....

That was the answer to a different question!

Never mind.
    You are wise beyond your years, young sir. It sucks that you have to wait 29 days...that seems like a long time to wait for something as sweet as the Pre.
    Yeah, it's eating me alive. the past three days have felt like months to me. I think it would be better if i wasn't googleing everything about the pre to know all its nooks and crannies. The only reason i'm waiting 29 days is so i can get 75 dollars off of the upgrade fee. i think i might just give my mom the 75 dollars so i can get the damn phone now. xD
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I call it laziness.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    I offered my 15 yo son the option of paying $200 for a Pre and we would pay the add'l $20/mo on the family plan. Instead, he bought some kind of WinMo thing off e-bay.

He is dead to me.

Regards,
    Tom
    AHAHA maybe he got it off me. I sold one for a pre!
    I'm not THAT old, 30!!, but I find the abbreviated writing highly irritating, especially outside of the texting context. There's little need for it and, in my experience, is making kids atrocious spellers and writers. It's not something to be proud of or that you should be touting as a strong point of your generation.
    As I said before, I'm 14, and I find text chatting annoying too. In my opinion, if people can't take the time to write out a full sentence, then it's not worth my time to read what they have to say.
    Last edited by qwerty613; 08/15/2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added a quote I left out by mistake
    I think the Pre (or any smartphone) is a good fit for anyone who needs to manage a schedule. Business people are not the only ones who need to manage time. College students, soccer moms, etc. all need to manage schedules.

As a full-time student, I imagine you have your classes scheduled, labs, social activities, etc. on your calendar and would probably benefit from maintaining separation between school, family, and social activities... something that the Palm Pre's Synergy capabilities excels at.

For example, I have several Google calendars that I use to manage my time: Work, Personal, and Family. I wish I had the Pre when I was in school. It would have kept me more organized.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12