1.    #1  
    Can the Pre be charging on the TS, and plugged into computer via USB at the same time?

I use a TS at work to keep my Pre topped off, and to keep it at a good viewing angle. I just got another USB cable, and would like to be able to connect to my computer every once in a while for data transfer. I'd like to keep the Pre on the TS for viewability, without having to disconnect the TS.

Anyone have any info or experience?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Can the Pre be charging on the TS, and plugged into computer via USB at the same time?

I use a TS at work to keep my Pre topped off, and to keep it at a good viewing angle. I just got another USB cable, and would like to be able to connect to my computer every once in a while for data transfer. I'd like to keep the Pre on the TS for viewability, without having to disconnect the TS.

Anyone have any info or experience?

Thanks,
    Tom

Not being rude at all, but why would'nt you just try it yourself and then see what happens if it allows you to do that since you dont want to remove the Pre from the Touchstone to do the data transfer? and then answer your own question if it works or not.........
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    Not being rude at all, but why would'nt you just try it yourself and then see what happens if it allows you to do that since you dont want to remove the Pre from the Touchstone to do the data transfer? and then answer your own question if it works or not.........
    +1
  4.    #4  
    Not being rude at all, but why would'nt you just try it yourself and then see what happens....
    I'm no Einstein, but before I essentially plug something into two different power supplies, something inside me says to see if someone else has already fried, uhhh, tried it with their Pre first.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    I'm no Einstein, but before I essentially plug something into two different power supplies, something inside me says to see if someone else has already fried, uhhh, tried it with their Pre first.

Regards,
    Tom
    So you want someone else to be your test dummy?....It seems if you can't seem to disconnect your Pre from the Touchstone while doing the data transfer and don't want to obstruct your view of your Pre..you would do it yourself..or simple remove the Pre while doing data transfers and then gently placing it back on the TS dock for optimal viewing pleasures....
  6.    #6  
    So you want someone else to be your test dummy?
    Are you offering your services?

Given that it appears there are at least two people for which double-charging does not appear to raise a red flag, there's a chance someone out there has already tried it and may be able to post something useful.

Another possibility is that someone may actually have some technical insight regarding opposing charging modes.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    @TomJ , I think this is a totally reasonable question, I like yourself, would ask first before attempting it.

@bipoler, do you really think the mod is just trying to coax someone into destroying their phone? Neither of your posts have helped the mod answer his question, are you just bored? Personally I hate seeing borderline hostile, unhelpful posts when someone is asking for help/info. Maybe that is not the case here, but it sure seems like it.

To answer your question, I just tested it myself because I could care less if it destroys my phone and the answer is: I tested for 30 minutes with the phone on the touchstone and the usb cable connected between my laptop and phone and performed several data transfers with no problems. I did not see any discernible damage to the phone or computer. The phone did not get any warmer than it usually is on the TS. I did not test the USB connection in charging mode at the same time as the TS, nor will I. I can't tell you if the results would change if it was left there for several hours. Hope this helps.
    Did it charge faster? hahah
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonuello View Post
    ...I just tested it myself because I could care less if it destroys my phone....
    Though curious, I guess I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say!

Quote Originally Posted by tonuello View Post
    I did not test the USB connection in charging mode at the same time as the TS, nor will I
    Do you mean that while the TS was charging you connected the USB and put the phone in "USB Drive" mode, rather than "Just Charge"? That's what I would want to do. But, I think "USB Drive" mode charges too, doesn't it?

Either way, that's the experience I was looking for -- so, thanks!

Regards,
    Tom