View Poll Results: Would you ditch Pre for Android?

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

39 9.35%
  • NO

252 60.43%
  • MAYBE if the phone was right

117 28.06%
  • Android?

9 2.16%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    How many people would ditch the pre for an Android device on Sprint?

With the myTouch on Google, and Dan Hesses promise of an Android device by year’s end (rumor is the HTC Hero but there hasn't been a CDMA that I am aware of submitted to the FCC)... How man would prefer an Android device?

One of the Advantage of Android over WebOS is Android's support of non-telecommunications devices.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    I think Android is pretty cool, but I don't feel that it brings enough innovation to the table to compete with WebOS right now. And its not all much more developed either.
    andriod is on 1.5 and webos is at 1.1 and webos is already better. i owned a g1 i just think webos brings much more innovation than andriod .
    Depends what Android and WebOS look like in a year. For right now No.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Today, it's not even close. Pre ftw.
    Rumors indicate Sprint will get the HTC Hero with HTC's own UI. It has gotten a lot of press as being the _the_ Android phone. If that happens in October as rumored, I would consider it.
    leme think........................ HELLLLL NOOOOO. i used my friends g1 before and i hate it im not a very big android fan
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
    I think Android is pretty cool, but I don't feel that it brings enough innovation to the table to compete with WebOS right now. And its not all much more developed either.
    Exactly what innovation does WebOS bring that Android doesn't already have?

The primary differences is the "Cards" interface on the Pre. Otherwise, I am unclear as to what innnovation you speak of? Pre has essentially copied the best ideas from already existing products.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    No thanks, i'll stick to the software maker being the hardware maker idea.

If you notice, thats what the best phones are right now (imo)

Blackberry
    iPhone
    WebOS

I think Android is great, but hardware has been iffy. The fact the Hero's hardware is already outdated is annoying.
    Android doesn't even natively support activesync. That is a big loss for me. I've never used Android, but I'll stick with WebOS for now until Google includes native EAS into Android (which I hear is in the pipe).
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradb21 View Post
    Android doesn't even natively support activesync. That is a big loss for me. I've never used Android, but I'll stick with WebOS for now until Google includes native EAS into Android (which I hear is in the pipe).
    Magic does.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    No thanks, i'll stick to the software maker being the hardware maker idea.

If you notice, thats what the best phones are right now (imo)

Blackberry
    iPhone
    WebOS

I think Android is great, but hardware has been iffy. The fact the Hero's hardware is already outdated is annoying.
    WebOS is good. The Palm Hardware for the Pre isn't good -- HTC Android hardware is light years ahead of Palm in terms of build quality (And the G1 does feel flimsy, not as flimsy as the Pre's slider though).

Well, I disagree on the Hero being outdated... but have you looked at the Samsung i7500?
    Sure, the UI is nice, but the innovation WebOS brings is there is almost nothing you can't do with it given time and considering its foundation. Palm has copied to the extent that any cell phone is a copy of another cell phone.
    As I said elsewhere, if Palm doesn't fix the pathetic and laggy phone app on the Pre in a couple of months time, I would jump to the HTC Hero on launch day for Sprint. No questions asked.

And for all of the talk of the Hero's hardware being outdated, why does it launch apps quicker than the Pre and scroll lists smoother? Palm has a lot of work to do. HTC is bringing it to that Qualcomm chipset already.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1900 View Post
    Sure, the UI is nice, but the innovation WebOS brings is there is almost nothing you can't do with it given time and considering its foundation. Palm has copied to the extent that any cell phone is a copy of another cell phone.
    How is that more innovative than Android which was released 10 months prior to the Pre on a handset?

Besides the UI, both are based on Linux 2.6.xx kernels and supporting tools sets.

Heck, the Android G1/Mytouch hand set is fundamentally more powerful than my 486/DX2 with 16Mb of Ram and 340Mb HD of 10 years ago -- the point being that the Pre besides an innovative way to interact with the device -- brings nothing new to the Smart Phone arena. Therefore, I don't consider it innovative at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    As I said elsewhere, if Palm doesn't fix the pathetic and laggy phone app on the Pre in a couple of months time, I would jump to the HTC Hero on launch day for Sprint. No questions asked.

And for all of the talk of the Hero's hardware being outdated, why does it launch apps quicker than the Pre and scroll lists smoother? Palm has a lot of work to do. HTC is bringing it to that Qualcomm chipset already.
    Go read the engadget Hero review.

You seem to have painted the Hero in a much better light than they did.
    To the OP: Maybe.

To everyone else: What exactly does the pre bring to the table that is so outstanding? I see a lot of blunders on the Pre, far more than the OMG this is cool.

The Pre has a lot of potential but it needs a ton of work.

From every youtube video I've seen and even many of the reviews like from Boygenius show that the Hero is still faster than the Pre in most things and does more. We'll see when it comes state side.

lag seems to be the biggest knock on the hero if you use all 7 of the screens with lots of widgets. The pre lags without a single widget running. Lets not even talk about memory leaks and lack of options or apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    How is that more innovative than Android which was released 10 months prior to the Pre on a handset?

Besides the UI, both are based on Linux 2.6.xx kernels and supporting tools sets.

Heck, the Android G1/Mytouch hand set is fundamentally more powerful than my 486/DX2 with 16Mb of Ram and 340Mb HD of 10 years ago -- the point being that the Pre besides an innovative way to interact with the device -- brings nothing new to the Smart Phone arena. Therefore, I don't consider it innovative at all.
    You can innovate on an experience. And while similar to the iPhone, it easily surpassed it in usability (IMO).

To me, thats innovation (synergy, notifications, slick calender help a bit too).
    You can innovate on an experience. And while similar to the iPhone, it easily surpassed it in usability (IMO).

To me, thats innovation (synergy, notifications, slick calender help a bit too).

Synergy is a joke. It does little that exchange sync with google doesn't already do better in many ways.

Androids notifications are just as nice as the Pre's but that is subject to opinion. I don't see how the Pre is light years ahead of android in this regard in the slightest.

The Pre's calendar is a joke compared to the Iphone's and the Hero. Its probably one of the programs that needs the most work and tweaks I can't believe you even brought it up as a positive.

One big thing the Pre has over the Hero is the keyboard and cards. Those are very nice but you give up a lot for those cards. That may change we'll see how the updates go but there is so much to fix and add I'm not holding my breath for any significant changes until later in the year. By then the Pre 2 will be out or Palm will be in Chapter 11.

I've watched multiple videos of it. Version one of HTC's Sense UI is smoother and less laggier than 1.1 WebOS. Tons of options. Scrolling in the browser has no checkerboard. Full featured calendar. A phone app that works properly. No context-free menus. Ad-free graphical weather.

These are some of the many fixes Palm has to make to catch up. I'm losing my willingness to wait.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast