View Poll Results: Would you ditch Pre for Android?

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

39 9.35%
  • NO

252 60.43%
  • MAYBE if the phone was right

117 28.06%
  • Android?

9 2.16%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    I don't see how this is an advantage for my phone. Yes, you can install Android on your refrigerator. Great?

I switched to Sprint for the Pre. If I wanted Google to have access to all of my personal information, I wouldn't have waited for the Pre. But I don't want to put all my information in the hands of an advertising company, so no.
    Netbooks are a fast growing segment ; it means that apps developed can be made to run on 1 android platform can easily moved to another.

The comment here is focused more on the business side of who provides you with software for your toys. Business generally want the most cost effective way of providing their sevice with the lest risk to them.
    Last edited by Clack; 08/17/2009 at 02:17 PM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Now that the HTC Hero on Sprint will be a reality on October 11th, this poll is more relevant now
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I won't do it, not for the Hero anyway.

A phone with a 1ghz snapdragon, WVGA and landscape keyboard? In a heartbeat.
    A phone that is essentially obsolete with no real advantages over the Pre? Negative.

I like the 5MP camera, I like the design of the old Hero, I like the backgroun widgets and the clocks. Do I like waiting twice as long to load up a web page? No, and that's the deal breaker.
    I do not like the new design of the Hero. I would have preferred the squared off version with chin. I honestly think this was a bad business move by HTC and Sprint. The older design gave it a more distinct standout look that would have given them a more of a (HEY, IM USING A HERO) in public.

Anyways, I with those in the boat waiting to see what Palm does to respond to the issues they currently have with their 1.2 OS. I am now thinking we wont see much from Palm until October when Flash is released. It is obvious now that Palm is concentrating on a larger update.

The Hero is attractive on several levels.

It ships with a 1500 mAh battery.

The widgets available give you space to work without digging. This in not WebOS multi tasking, but it gets around offering that quite uniquely.

HTC has fixed the Sense UI to eliminate the lag.

Android 2.0 will be out in October.

Visual Voicemail

Updated/Advanced SDK for developers

Digital Compass

5.0MP Camera with Video and Editing (No Flash However)

Notifications are more advanced. (Listing everything that has happened, not just the latest event per category)

So with that list in mind, Palm had the ability to catch up with them on most levels. Only time will tell.
    Has the Hero implemented multi-touch yet? The roms that enabled it on the G1 were clumsy at best.

Give me a compact Android device with a qwerty keyboard and I'd be pretty happy. If they ever update the underlying hardware, anyway -- Android is slow. I prefer Android's notification system to the Pre's, although Android has nothing nearly as cool or useful as the card system.

"BUT TEH PRE IS SLOW AS WELL," YOU SHOUT. That is correct and one of my biggest complaints about it. But if you change the clockspeed even to just 550mhz, it's considerably faster. I'm reminded of this whenever I kill my scripts and it the lags badly just opening the damn launcher at the default speed.
    The nagging webOS issues are annoying (battery life, no virtual keyboard, SLOW calendar) but not enough for me to switch to Android.
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    I will never "ditch" my Pre but I have a large amount of expendable income so if I see a phone I like I'll pick it. The Pre however is too intriguing for me to just "ditch". I will be one of the first people to go out and get that Hero, Android OS is also intriguing so when I get the Hero it will also be in my possession permanently.
    I don't get the chinless version. That was the only cool thing about the Hero and they nixed it.

Seriously, what makes Sprint second guess device makers?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    When I first got my pre my coworker commented he'd go blind trying to read the text and thought it looked small, like a phone for ladies.
    I though nothing of it and figured he was jealous.

Well I'm a little over a month and a half into this thing and I must say my coworker may have a point.

The pre is a little small especially when it comes to one hand operation. The width is narrow and a little awkward to hold. My thumb must bend inward and down to type.

I think it would be awesome if Palm released a more "beefy" type handset. Something with a larger screen (3.6 or higher), wider (easier to hold) and please do some ergonomic testing for one hand texting. (place the handset in one hand, now pay attention where your thumb naturally falls, that's where the keyboard should be.)

yes, I do have too much time on my hands!
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    My thumb falls in the middle of the keyboard, and I have large hands. It may be in the way you feel comfortable holding it. I type one handed all the time and it feels fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    When I first got my pre my coworker commented he'd go blind trying to read the text and thought it looked small, like a phone for ladies.
    I though nothing of it and figured he was jealous.

Well I'm a little over a month and a half into this thing and I must say my coworker may have a point.

The pre is a little small especially when it comes to one hand operation. The width is narrow and a little awkward to hold. My thumb must bend inward and down to type.

I think it would be awesome if Palm released a more "beefy" type handset. Something with a larger screen (3.6 or higher), wider (easier to hold) and please do some ergonomic testing for one hand texting. (place the handset in one hand, now pay attention where your thumb naturally falls, that's where the keyboard should be.)

yes, I do have too much time on my hands!
    someone must be confused or having sencond thoughts about their sexuality lol jk but nah i dont see small as a problem. it def fits in my pocket better then the iphone which is a huuuuuge plus for me....doesnt feel like i have a brick in my pocket now. which is awesome.
    I'm a phone *****, already had a G1, like the Pre MUCH better.
    Definite no for me. I've fallen in love with webOS. It's by far the best user experience of any mobile OS I've ever used (and I've used them all). While I do think Palm can do better hardware-wise, I'm very happy with my Pre overall and have no plans to jump the Pre ship until another webOS device is released.
    VERY VERY dependent on what Palm fixes with the new updates. If the updates let me down, I'd easily go to Android.

Maybe not for the Hero, particularly but this phone looks very interesting....
    h t t p ://tinyurl.com/lq5qnu
    i just want latitude and sky maps from google but i can like without it
    but can't do without webos
    android devices are not for me
    Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    VERY VERY dependent on what Palm fixes with the new updates. If the updates let me down, I'd easily go to Android.

Maybe not for the Hero, particularly but this phone looks very interesting....
    h t t p ://tinyurl.com/lq5qnu
    Oooh, that does look interesting, doesn't it. I think the Hero is worth a look, but definitely prefer a physical keyboard.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Only jerks and lesbians would buy an Android phone.

But really, If I were to renew my contract today, I'd still go with the Pre. From a personal perspective, HTC's virtual keyboard experience is nothing short of maddening. I would likely have to make my Asurion claim within the first few hours of ownership because I've thrown the Hero at full force against a wall.

And for even the most ardent Android fan, I don't see how the Hero be a compelling enough device to incur an EFT for (I mean, its a nice phone, but not that nice), and that brings me to my next point:

I like Android, and I think it has potential as long as the handset manufacturers step their hardware game up (and I'm not talking just about form factor here, I'm talking about the innards). I'm skeptical that what Samsung and Motorola have to bring to the table will be compelling in the hardware arena. This is an area where I believe Palm to have an advantage, and I have a strong feeling that their product road map is a compelling one.
    Last edited by Xyg; 09/04/2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    dude android sucks leave it at that crack, your in the wrong forum buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    How many people would ditch the pre for an Android device on Sprint?

With the myTouch on Google, and Dan Hesses promise of an Android device by year’s end (rumor is the HTC Hero but there hasn't been a CDMA that I am aware of submitted to the FCC)... How man would prefer an Android device?

One of the Advantage of Android over WebOS is Android's support of non-telecommunications devices.
    I returned my Pre after 7 days; did not like the keyboard, would have preferred design like Treo Pro (such as the "EOS"). But the 2nd deal breaker is the lack of Micro SD. I am getting the HTC Touch Pro II on Monday or Tuesday for a trial and I will get the HTC Hero to try out too. Don't know if I can live without a physical keyboard. Also another factor is that there are no drug reference library available for the the WebOs or the Android as of yet. Even though Ed C. said there would be support on day one. It took a few days before Eprocrates would work on the Pre. Ed C. said they had a good relationship with Eprocrates (if such a good relationship; why no WebOs "Eprocrates" on day one. If Palm puts a Micro SD on the Eos I will try the webos again; I love the eye candy. Another nice thing on the HTC is that is is a World Phone on Sprint too.
    People are comparing the new designed hero to the old one. The phone will be completely optimized for sprint. I also heard that pandora has teamed up with sprint for the release of there app on the hero.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234