View Poll Results: Would you ditch Pre for Android?

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

39 9.35%
  • NO

252 60.43%
  • MAYBE if the phone was right

117 28.06%
  • Android?

9 2.16%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I like the UI on the Hero. The whole concept is based on customization.

I keep hearing about lag but I everytime I'm watching a youtube video I don't see it.
    IT happens when you have the widgets running.

ENgadget has a great video showing the phones task manager on the G1 and that on the Hero.

ITs basically the same guts, but the Hero uses a lot more RAM when idel and it doesn't keep up.

Thats why i said, give me Hero on a bit more powerful of a device and we'll talk. But even with that, I just like the feel of WebOS more than Andriod right now.
    I think the default UI leave plenty to be desired with the Android, and HTC's Hero will fix that nicely, if indeed that somehow winds up being offered by Sprint. Still, that specific phone is not necessarily compelling enough for me to leave the Pre. I'd have to see what else they come up with. And even then, since I'm on a family plan with a work-related discount, I don't think upgrading before the 22nd month would be a real option.

I will say though that on the whole, Android is rather compelling, and has many gems among its 5k+ apps. That carriers can block certain apps from it (see T-Mobile and tethering apps) is concerning, but not necessarily a huge issue (as Sprint, while still not entirely trustworthy, is better than its rivals). Still, what is most important, and in my mind makes up for most of the shortcomings otherwise associated is its treatment of said apps. In other words, the phone makes no distinction between native apps and those downloaded from the marketplace, and allows users to reassign the latter as the default program used to handle standard functions. So I could have my Google Voice app replace the native dialer. And while I can understand Palm's discomfort with that, I find the prospect very compelling.
    I thougt the pre is an android phone with all its updates focusing on google apps I.e. Calendar, maps, voice. IMO both OS are similar. I would have preferred a palm os phone with wifi.
    It would take a heckuva device to make Android really shine. Maybe 512mb of Ram and that Tegra processor and a 2000mah battery with vertical sliding keyboard...for starters!

But even if that came along, I would probably port webOS on it!!!
    I already planned to sell my pre in the next few weeks the moment I seen the Hero, once i hear a official release date its gone. after using my g1 their litterally is nothing it cannot do well. the only thing that really bugs me is the loss of keyboard but with the size of the screen and trackball with 4 nice mappable buttons its much more suited for developers of business and gaming applications which is why i bought the pre in the first place. My pre sits on the shelf at work now until I see what happens with the official SDK, and my G1 is my primary data device using prepaid.
    I'm not married to the Pre. If a phone with a similar form factor came out with Android on it, I'd at least check it out. I think WebOS is a little more polished right now (the UI), but Android, like WebOS, has a lot of potential.
    HTC Magic...NO...HTC Hero...could happen
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I'm not married to the Pre. If a phone with a similar form factor came out with Android on it, I'd at least check it out. I think WebOS is a little more polished right now (the UI), but Android, like WebOS, has a lot of potential.
    I agree.

However, I won't even consider an Android device unless one comes out that looks nice, is reliable, and is fast. None of the current Android phones can hold a candle to the Pre's excellent OMAP3 SoC. HTC uses terribly outdated (we're talking iPhone 2G) hardware.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I've watched multiple videos of it. Version one of HTC's Sense UI is smoother and less laggier than 1.1 WebOS. Tons of options. Scrolling in the browser has no checkerboard. Full featured calendar. A phone app that works properly. No context-free menus. Ad-free graphical weather.

These are some of the many fixes Palm has to make to catch up. I'm losing my willingness to wait.
    I've had my Hero for two weeks now. As long as you don't overdo in on the widgets and background apps, it's relatively fast. However, I use an iPhone 3G S as my home phone and have to say that compared to the latter, the Hero's a heck of a lot slower. It's really difficult moving between the devices because the Hero's so darn slow compared to the 3G S. It's about as fast as the iPhone 3G - which is also annoyingly slow when you've seen the 3G S.

That said: the Hero has very good battery life (my iPhone 3G S lasts until noon when I charge it over night - always have to carry a Mophie Juice Pack around), can run apps in the background (ever tried to use an IM on the iPhone? not working well, I can tell you that. Sure, Apple has squeezed out push notifications - but they don't cut it. For starters, only one PN can be displayed at any given time. No unified notification area like there is on Android etc.), is highly customizable (can't even set a background image on the iPhone, except on the lock screen), has full Google Push integration, has a great calendar (to do's still missing, though), a highly sensitive screen and a very good on-screen keyboard.

I can't compare the Hero to the Pre because Palm is still not selling them over here in Europe. Perhaps their sales figures wouldn't be so bad if they finally decided to sell the Pre in the largest cell phone market in the world - but perhaps they're scared of HTC?
    I've already made my mind up. I have about 60 paid apps already. Just waiting for the HERO. I also have a lot of ringtones and themes. I think what kills me about the pre is no customizing. I know it will come but I like andrioid better and its more open.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Go read the engadget Hero review.

You seem to have painted the Hero in a much better light than they did.
    Go read the BGR review.

You seem to have painted the Hero in a much worse light based on someone's review, and not your own.

After spending the last two months playing with my roommates palm pre, and over a month with the HTC Hero ROM on my G1, there is no way I'd leave android for WebOS anytime soon. Crappy phone dialer experience, no text forwarding (which i use A LOT), can't change notification sounds (wtf?), no video recording, weak app catalog, poor battery life, "oreo twist", phone dying on keyboard slide, dead pixels, screen discoloration, the list could go on and on...

The point I'm getting at is that it's all about personal preference, no smartphone platform is better than another, its all about which is best for the user.

The overall outcome to this post was gonna be quite obvious... Its a pre forum. If I went to a WM, Android, iPhone, Symbian, or BB forum, the question of jumping to another platform would be answered the same way: "No way. I love my phone. [insert smartphone operating system here] is sooo much more polished and useable than [insert another os]." Of course you would get a few stragglers, like on here, that said they would switch.

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, I just had high expectations for the pre, hoping that all the hype it received was going to come through... In the end, I was thoroughly disappointed.
    Last edited by bjb_nyj101; 08/14/2009 at 08:01 AM.
    only phone that has a chance to lure me away would be an adroid phone running on a Arm Cortex A9 procesor and the radio would be WiMax running on Sprints network. That procesor will be the first out of order procesor in a smart phone. Expect those to show up june of next year.
    A lot of people base there thoughts on the g1. That was a year ago. I am ready to sell my pre really soon. It was a good ride but by the time the beta is taken off, I will want another phone. Build quality is horrible, new problems popping up causing resets, craking case when typing, oreo, dead pixels, people on the 4th 5th phone(come on). I am not hating, but the people saying they are feeling the pre, I suggest you really dig deep into the hero and android and you will find out which one will be the best.

I really wanted to like the pre but build quality is key to a phone lasting. Go to any android forum and see if every other post is about problems with build quality
    Short and simple, NO!
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    How many people would ditch the pre for an Android device on Sprint?

With the myTouch on Google, and Dan Hesses promise of an Android device by year’s end (rumor is the HTC Hero but there hasn't been a CDMA that I am aware of submitted to the FCC)... How man would prefer an Android device?

One of the Advantage of Android over WebOS is Android's support of non-telecommunications devices.
    I have horrible Sprint reception in and around my home. I got the Pre on launch day and I really need it to work there because that's where I work. I went to T-mobile and got the My Touch last Wednesday. The My Touch has perfect signal in my house as opposed to Sprints shaky one bar. The build quality is also very nice on the My Touch, so after about a week of use.....my new Pre should be on my doorstep in about an hour. The Pre is GREAT!!!!! nothing I have used touches the UI. I constantly found my self trying to swipe,flick,and pinch on the My Touch. The only thing I liked on the My touch better (besides reception in my house) was the speaker phone and the track ball (it lights up for notifications) Trust me and wait, Android has potential but WebOs is far better and not as clunky.
    Not to burst anyone's bubble here but Android is slow and choppy. It might be a hardware issue but I have the HTC MyTouch alongside the Palm Pre and it's just slow. I once was listening to music on the unit and tried to email out and it was just ridiculous. I've had the unit do this weird freeze (not reset) for about 20 seconds due to having 3 apps open in the background.

If you read the reviews for the HTC Hero, people rave about it but then when it does come down to speed, it's a HUGE complaint and I can tell you that it's very slow. Again, probably a hardware issue, but again, the HTC Hero is coming to Sprint. After getting the MyTouch, I will not be getting the HTC Hero (I was originally going to have just the HERO and PRE but now I'm just staying put).

Also (again, not sure if it's a hardware thing or software), the virtual keyboard is SO SAD. I dread having to type on it. The predictive spell checker is awful. Typing 2 sentences takes at least 5 times as long as typing the same 2 sentences on a Pre. I am not even kidding on this one guys. It drives me nuts. If you're wondering, I've had the MyTouch since August 5th. I've gotten better with the virtual keyboard but man...it is very cumbersome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Not to burst anyone's bubble here but Android is slow and choppy. It might be a hardware issue but I have the HTC MyTouch alongside the Palm Pre and it's just slow. I once was listening to music on the unit and tried to email out and it was just ridiculous. I've had the unit do this weird freeze (not reset) for about 20 seconds due to having 3 apps open in the background.

If you read the reviews for the HTC Hero, people rave about it but then when it does come down to speed, it's a HUGE complaint and I can tell you that it's very slow. Again, probably a hardware issue, but again, the HTC Hero is coming to Sprint. After getting the MyTouch, I will not be getting the HTC Hero (I was originally going to have just the HERO and PRE but now I'm just staying put).

Also (again, not sure if it's a hardware thing or software), the virtual keyboard is SO SAD. I dread having to type on it. The predictive spell checker is awful. Typing 2 sentences takes at least 5 times as long as typing the same 2 sentences on a Pre. I am not even kidding on this one guys. It drives me nuts. If you're wondering, I've had the MyTouch since August 5th. I've gotten better with the virtual keyboard but man...it is very cumbersome.
    The Hero has different functionality than the MyTouch in every aspect of the OS including a completely different keyboard. And, for better or for worse, I highly doubt the current Hero ROM will be the one that ships with the Sprint version.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post

Did you install task killer and if so how much stuff do you have open?

See the issue is people leave 12 things open on their android device and then ***** about speed when the Pre will bog down with just the music player going and one other thing.

Hell it doesn't even scroll smoothly ever, even with one thing open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Synergy is a joke. It does little that exchange sync with google doesn't already do better in many ways.

Androids notifications are just as nice as the Pre's but that is subject to opinion. I don't see how the Pre is light years ahead of android in this regard in the slightest.

The Pre's calendar is a joke compared to the Iphone's and the Hero. Its probably one of the programs that needs the most work and tweaks I can't believe you even brought it up as a positive.

One big thing the Pre has over the Hero is the keyboard and cards. Those are very nice but you give up a lot for those cards. That may change we'll see how the updates go but there is so much to fix and add I'm not holding my breath for any significant changes until later in the year. By then the Pre 2 will be out or Palm will be in Chapter 11.
    +10
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast