Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    My Pre currently has several issues: light leakage, oreo twist, large gap between the display and housing, and the slider shut-off issue. I understand the latest builds have fixed most of these issues, and so I'd like to get another replacement. But I can't take it back to the store because I'm past the 30 days (bought it a few days after launch).

Any suggestions here?
    kill it with fire
    Get the insurance added to your account and then take it back to the store.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by logie View Post
    kill it with fire
    This also works.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by logie View Post
    kill it with fire
    Good idea - I'm sure there will be no problems exchanging a charred Pre. Yes, I realize that was sarcasm, and so was my comment.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Get the insurance added to your account and then take it back to the store.
    I have the insurance.

Would the store actually hand me a brand new Pre? I'm worried I'll get a refurb, which will probably be older.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieck View Post
    Good idea - I'm sure there will be no problems exchanging a charred Pre. Yes, I realize that was sarcasm, and so was my comment.
    Just blame a battery malfunction.. It got too hot... I swear there was no accelerant used!
    I have the insurance.

Would the store actually hand me a brand new Pre? I'm worried I'll get a refurb, which will probably be older.
    You probably wouldnt even notice a diff between a new pre and refurb.. But you'd get a refurb..

Unless you want to make an insurance claim.. Well, if you kill it with fire you'd have to.
    Call Sprint Account Services (formerly Retentions) and tell them all the problems you have. They will most likely transfer you to a Sprint Tech who you will have to explain again your problems. The Tech will transfer you to the Advanced Tech dept that deals with Pre problems and tell them the problems yet again and that you will not pay the $100 deductible because this phone is only a couple months new and you paid $300 for it at launch and still haven't received your rebate yet. Ask them if there is anyway you can please receive a new Pre model because you have seen that they are a better build quality and you don't want to pay $300 for a reconditioned phone. They will create an e-ticket for you to take to a Sprint repair store for an exchange of a new phone. I got my phone at launch and this is what I did and I have a brand new Pre with a 7/17 build date and this phone is in perfect condition. The newer Pre's def have a better build quality. Engadget did a story about the better quality Pre's the other day.

Just be nice with everyone you talk to. Tell them how much you love the Pre and appreciate all their help for you. Don't be mean or demanding to them and they will help you any way they can.
    After 9 years with Sprint, I know better than to expect anything more than a good network and monthly bills. I am still, though, a huge Palm fan.

I gave Sprint ample opportunity to help me with my Premature Pre. I refused to deal with the retailer because of their unprofessionalism, which I'd made sure was documented earlier. So... after 60+ days, I went direct to Palm, as I have done in the past, and demanded they provide a replacement and deal with THEIR inferior supply chain. I received my replacement from Palm today.

The SECOND I hear the word "policy", I interrupt and tell them that my policy is: I give you money, you give me quality product. My policy usually works for me after I've played their game long enough for their fumbles to embarrass their "Executive Escalations" (fancy clerk staff) team.

By the way, I almost always buy the product on it's Day 1 release, as I did the Pre, to show my
    trust (ha), that they're the best in the land. I also buy "insurance" (ha), to show my conscientiousness. My experience with the Treo 700p was that the insurance claim deductible was $50, and the maximum charge for product repair (without insurance) was $50.

Sprint continues to bleed customers because their fastest, most reliable network and least costly plans are only surpassed by their infinite stupidity and overall human interface suckfulness.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    How did your replacement from Palm work? Did you go with their advance exchange option (which costs $30)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch24 View Post
    Call Sprint Account Services (formerly Retentions) and tell them all the problems you have. They will most likely transfer you to a Sprint Tech who you will have to explain again your problems. The Tech will transfer you to the Advanced Tech dept that deals with Pre problems and tell them the problems yet again and that you will not pay the $100 deductible because this phone is only a couple months new and you paid $300 for it at launch and still haven't received your rebate yet. Ask them if there is anyway you can please receive a new Pre model because you have seen that they are a better build quality and you don't want to pay $300 for a reconditioned phone. They will create an e-ticket for you to take to a Sprint repair store for an exchange of a new phone. I got my phone at launch and this is what I did and I have a brand new Pre with a 7/17 build date and this phone is in perfect condition. The newer Pre's def have a better build quality. Engadget did a story about the better quality Pre's the other day.

Just be nice with everyone you talk to. Tell them how much you love the Pre and appreciate all their help for you. Don't be mean or demanding to them and they will help you any way they can.
    FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE. I JUST got my new Palm Pre today. I've had the Pre since launch and I'm 60+ days into my account and I got a new one today.

Also, tell the tech rep when you'll be at the store and have him/her call you while you're there. Tell the manager that you have a "Sprint Corporate Rep" on the phone and that you need to make sure that you get a "new phone".

If you do not see a new phone come out of an actual Palm Pre box (with original tape and everything), then DO NOT accept this phone. Tell them that you need to be sure that it's a new phone and have the rep open the box and take the phone out in FRONT OF YOU. This is the only way to ensure that you have a new phone.

I did not have insurance. I didn't even need my receipt or box. Just walked in with my Pre and they gave me a new phone. My warranty date on my new phone (##786#) is August 5, 2009
    BTW - Sprint support was awesome. Simple AWESOME. I am NOT even kidding here. Don't be angry when you speak with them. Be calm, logical and reasonable. If you have a short temper then you'll more or less fail. Be professional. Seriously...it helps.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I have the insurance.

original post stated you got your Pre a few days after launch...SOOO...in essence the refurb would be newer than your device......score one for me@!