1.    #1  
    Is there a way to make the Mute switch universal?

Currently sound still comes out if the music, video or Youtube apps play. There may be more, but i haven't found them.

There are plenty of times i want to be able to use my phone for the aforementioned, but still need it to be silent if the headphones come out. (at work, on the bus, at grandma's house)

I remember the Treo 650 being smart enough to keep music playing though the head phones, but not through the main speaker if the mute switch was on.

Thanks in advance
    I believe if you unplug the headphones the Pre will pause your music, similar to how iPods do it.

As for making the switch universal... there is no option but you may be able to find a hack for it. I have not seen one yet though.
    Move switch to silent - and the phone will not make a sound unless you tell it to.

Here's what I mean... if the phone is switched to silent, you will not hear the phone ring and there will be no audio for notifications. This is great for meetings or movie theaters, whenever you don't want to be interrupted with phone calls or e-mails.

But if you play music or watch a video... then yes, the phone will make noise even if the switch is in silent mode.

If my phone is in silent mode, and I watch a video, I want to hear it. Same with music. Just because I don't want to be disturbed with phone calls doesn't mean I want to watch a video without audio.
  4.    #4  
    ejohnnyk,

I agree that I would want my videos to sound off, but when I have the mute on there are times I need it muted.

Case in point: I was researching something at a work meeting on my Pre. I clicked a link that wasn't listed as a video, put the pre down and went to pay attention to the rest of the meeting while the page loaded.

The obscenity laced, rock metal video that shot out of the MUTED pre during my bosses presentation did nothing to increase my chances for a bonus.

Though I would love a smart mute like i mentioned in my OP, I would prefer a mute that means mute. I'll just have to keep a closer eye on my volume level when I am at work until someone can figure a fix.

Thanks!
    nb
    Also not affected by the mute switch: clock alarms!

I had intended to use clock alarms as general reminders, but now not so sure.

Regards,
    Tom
    I understand what you're saying, I can see how a mute feature that mutes everything would be handy. I'm pretty sure my old WM 5 device acted the same way as the Pre... the Vibrate only profile still played audio in Windows Media Player. But the Silent profile turned EVERYTHING off.

But I really would be annoyed if I had to move the switch on the Pre everytime I wanted to watch a video or listen to music while in Silent mode.

Perhaps Palm will build a feature where you can check "Silence Ringtones and Notifications" or "Silence All System Audio" when switch is in Silent mode.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    I understand what you're saying, I can see how a mute feature that mutes everything would be handy. I'm pretty sure my old WM 5 device acted the same way as the Pre... the Vibrate only profile still played audio in Windows Media Player. But the Silent profile turned EVERYTHING off.

But I really would be annoyed if I had to move the switch on the Pre everytime I wanted to watch a video or listen to music while in Silent mode.

Perhaps Palm will build a feature where you can check "Silence Ringtones and Notifications" or "Silence All System Audio" when switch is in Silent mode.
    More choice = awesome. I'd rally behind that wagon cart.

One of the things I really hated about WinMo (HTC Apache/Mogul/Touch Pro worked this way) was that it didn't allow me to listen to stuff through the headphones if the sound was muted. It was annoying to switch back and forth (especially since i didn't have a cool little hardware switch). If we could get deep level options to choose what would sound and what wouldn't, I'd be really pleased...

nb
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    ejohnnyk,

I agree that I would want my videos to sound off, but when I have the mute on there are times I need it muted.

Case in point: I was researching something at a work meeting on my Pre. I clicked a link that wasn't listed as a video, put the pre down and went to pay attention to the rest of the meeting while the page loaded.

The obscenity laced, rock metal video that shot out of the MUTED pre during my bosses presentation did nothing to increase my chances for a bonus.

Though I would love a smart mute like i mentioned in my OP, I would prefer a mute that means mute. I'll just have to keep a closer eye on my volume level when I am at work until someone can figure a fix.

Thanks!
    nb
    That a good story and poignant example
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    HOPEFULLY, Palm will come to their senses and either correct the mute switch to work correctly and mute ALL sounds (my opinion) or allow the user to choose. Worst case, maybe someone will create an app to do this.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Also not affected by the mute switch: clock alarms!

I had intended to use clock alarms as general reminders, but now not so sure.

Regards,
    Tom
    you can easily resolve this problem by changing the alarm sound to an empty mp3 file. just create an empty file:

touch nosound.mp3

in /media/internal/ringtones

and select it as your alarm sound. the alarm will visually alert you, but there will be no sound.

you don't need to have root access to do this. you could create the empty mp3 file with any editor and then use the usb cable to transfer the file to the /ringtones directory when you connect the pre to your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    you can easily resolve this problem by changing the alarm sound to an empty mp3 file. just create an empty file:

touch nosound.mp3

in /media/internal/ringtones

and select it as your alarm sound. the alarm will visually alert you, but there will be no sound.

you don't need to have root access to do this. you could create the empty mp3 file with any editor and then use the usb cable to transfer the file to the /ringtones directory when you connect the pre to your computer.
    This would then eliminate using the alarms as . . . alarms. You must be a programmer for Palm. Two steps forward and one step back.

Just kidding. I was completely being sarcastic and in no way want this to come off as offensive. However this is not a valid solution for those that would sometimes like to hear the alarm go off.

I for one continue to say that the absolute best phone operating system will be the one that gives the users the most options.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I'm sure you're already aware of this, but while waiting for Palm to give us some more options, you can completely mute the Pre for meetings and such. When you need it completely muted, go to the "Sounds & Ringtones" options and slide the volume slider under System Sounds all the way down. Then, if you have the hardware switch set to mute, the Pre won't make a sound even if you "tell" it to (like click on a video link)

And then if you want to hear something like music or a video, you can just use the volume up button on the side of the phone to turn it back up. Using it this way, while kind of a pain, would eliminate the problem you ran into in the meeting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo_ View Post
    I'm sure you're already aware of this...
    Uhhh, I wouldn't be so sure.

So, thanks! Somehow "system sounds" just didn't equate to alarm sounds to me.

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo_ View Post
    I'm sure you're already aware of this, but while waiting for Palm to give us some more options, you can completely mute the Pre for meetings and such. When you need it completely muted, go to the "Sounds & Ringtones" options and slide the volume slider under System Sounds all the way down. Then, if you have the hardware switch set to mute, the Pre won't make a sound even if you "tell" it to (like click on a video link)

And then if you want to hear something like music or a video, you can just use the volume up button on the side of the phone to turn it back up. Using it this way, while kind of a pain, would eliminate the problem you ran into in the meeting...
    But where is the advantage of using a Palm phone over every other phone where you have to dig into a menu to mute the darn thing? This was (for me) the beautiful design of the mute switch on the Treo.

PAAAAAAALM!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    But where is the advantage of using a Palm phone over every other phone where you have to dig into a menu to mute the darn thing? This was (for me) the beautiful design of the mute switch on the Treo.

PAAAAAAALM!
    Yeah I always viewed the mute switch (on the treo at least) as a last ditch but of insurance that would ENSURE i didn't interrupt anything in a boneheaded manner. Though I still loved the ability toplay over headphones or speakers...i always felt safe since I wouldn't have speakers in my meetings :-)

nb

And thanks to Maximo. I'll look at the sounds a little later.