1.    #1  
    This is Fez. Live in Virginia. By no means an advocate of polygyny, but have nevertheless fallen in love with the Pre. It is not infatuation, it is not platonic, it is not hedonistic. But you get my drift.

I must say that my decision to buy a Palm Pre with Sprint service was both a rational and emotional one. I mean, the Palm Pre is beautiful and functional. And coupled with the service quality of Sprint, it seems nothing short of a revolution in the making. I believe that Palm and Sprint have (almost) hit it off famously.

I did a lot of research before buying the Pre but overlooked at least one thing. The Pre does not, yet, let me synchronize my e-mails between it and Outlook. As far as I am concerned, this is a drawback I am facing unless Palm comes up with a solution quickly.

With my previous SmartPhone running a Windows OS, it was a snap to synchronize e-mails and other data with one's PC. But Pre's inability to do so is making life a difficult for me because I have to Bcc every e-mail, I send out, to my e-mail address and then manually transfer it to the 'sent' folder in Outlook.

I hope Palm, or at least a third-party, will come up with a solution very soon that will easily let me synchronize all my data between the Pre and my office PC.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I'm not sure of any email servers that aren't IMAP friendly. I suggest you stop using POP and switch to IMAP, you'll never have to BCC yourself again, and your emails/folders will be accessible AND synchronized anywhere you want.
    I don't know what you're talking about...Mine syncs fine with the office/outlook. This includes the sub-folders.
    "The revolution will not be televised.... The revolution will be live." (Gil Scott-Heron, 1970)
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by bwillingham View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about...Mine syncs fine with the office/outlook. This includes the sub-folders.
    How are you syncing sub-folders?
    I think some of the confusion here is that he said Outlook, not Exchange. I suspect those of you that are successfully syncing with "Outlook" are really doing your Exchange server.

To the OP, I'd suggest you find a site that either runs Exchange, or subscribe to Gmail (if you want the free route). Then transfer your current Outlook email to that site via IMAP, and make the new account become your default account.

The details are a little more complex, but you get the drift.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I'm not syncing with Outlook or Exchange, but Thunderbird. However that's still irrelevant to the email protocol he's using. He doesn't need Exchange or Gmail... I can't imagine that whatever email service he's using doesn't provide IMAP.

What the OP really should do, is contact his IT department, web host, or email provider, and get the incoming port and server for IMAP and connect to his email with that, rather than POP.

P.s. sjamie, I'm not sure about Outlook, but Thunderbird and Gmail are syncing my subfolders as well...
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    I'm not syncing with Outlook or Exchange, but Thunderbird. However that's still irrelevant to the email protocol he's using. He doesn't need Exchange or Gmail... I can't imagine that whatever email service he's using doesn't provide IMAP.

What the OP really should do, is contact his IT department, web host, or email provider, and get the incoming port and server for IMAP and connect to his email with that, rather than POP.

P.s. sjamie, I'm not sure about Outlook, but Thunderbird and Gmail are syncing my subfolders as well...
    I'm in the same boat as the OP and I don't understand the answers. I have outlook at the office without an exchange server. I can set up my e-mail account as a POP or IMAP but how does either of these choices send me copies of e-mails sent from my Pre to my desktop computer at work?

Incoming is no problem because the Pre does not delete these messages off the server. Only my work Outlook is set up to delete the messages once retrieved.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I am using Outlook. The easiest way to sync is with Pocket Mirror. It syncs easily and is a great solution for syncing with desktop Outlook.
    Outlook and Thunderbird are email clients. The Pre does not currently synchronize with an email client on your computer, without purchasing third party software (which wasn't available at the time of the original post).

Exchange is a mail server. GMail (in this context) are as well. Any email client that you have is communicating with a mail server somewhere. That mail server may (and likely does) support more than one protocol.

The problem is that many corporate systems do not allow access to their systems from email clients outside of their firewall. I suspect that's the problem the OP had, that was the reason for my suggestion about GMail.

The suggestion that he find the incoming port and IP address of his mail server is correct, if it's available outside their corporate firewall.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB View Post
    "The revolution will not be televised.... The revolution will be live." (Gil Scott-Heron, 1970)
    Saw the thread and was coming in her just to post that. Kudos
    Pre
    ppcgeeks.com ---- ajk511
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I think I now understand some of these posts and am happy to say that I have solved my problem.

By setting up my e-mail account on the Pre as an IMAP instead of a POP, my "sent" messages go through our ISP's webmail account. All sent messages are therefore saved on the webmail account. I could go there and forward the e-mail to my desktop or print directly from the webmail account.

I was also able to configure the webmail account so that my sent messages from my Pre look exactly the same as the ones sent from my desktop (i.e. using our firm's domain name instead of the servers (i.e. xxx@domainname.com instead of xxx@magma.ca).

If you do this, however, be sure to change the "reply to e-mail address" in your Palm Pre settings to make sure that everything refers back to your domain name and not the ISP's account.

One other note, you have to change the settings on the webmail account first BEFORE you try to set up your Pre's email account to ensure that e-mails will look exactly as you want them to look.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Hint: To make sure that you get all your settings right, first add the e-mail account automatically using your "real" username and password (i.e. xxx@magma.ca). This way you can then see all of the settings (i.e. port numbers) and duplicate these when setting up your proper account manually (i.e. the xxx@domainname.com account)