Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by hexamer View Post
    Spoke with Palm today and was directed by Level 3 support to their Legal Department. Haven't heard back from them yet, but I'll keep y'all posted.

To the apologists: you're worse than the apple fan boys.

Anyone know if a class-action suit has been started yet?
    Suing for what? You going to get a bunch of people together to sue and say "Yeah, we agreed to that, but we weren't smart enough to understand what we were agreeing to"?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You didn't really "know" Palm was gathering what they gather from you. I have yet to see someone who says they read Palms statements all in full and really knew before Hess announced it, that Palm was getting the data they get from your Pre.
    Personally, I did not "know" all of the information that Palm gathers. I readily admit that. I did not know that they were gathering crashed program information. I didn't know they were gathering information about how often programs were run.

I don't care about those things.

The only thing I remotely care about is the location information, and I really don't care much about that one.

However, that part was not buried in legaleaze. The location aware programs have a warning that the information is transmitted. I can't remember the exact wording, but when I first activated the Pre, it had a similar warning.

So, I knew. Does it bother me? Not really. It makes me stop and think, but I wouldn't call that "bother".

My point here though, is that everyone that has a Pre should have known about the location information being sent out. The only "new" information in Hess' revelation (at least to me) was the crash logs (which I think are a good thing), and the apps run monitoring (which I don't care about).
    Quote Originally Posted by hexamer View Post
    Spoke with Palm today and was directed by Level 3 support to their Legal Department. Haven't heard back from them yet, but I'll keep y'all posted.

To the apologists: you're worse than the apple fan boys.

Anyone know if a class-action suit has been started yet?
    With just about every Palm product I ever owned, there was a lawsuit that I was part of a class for. This information from Hess just became public knowledge this week, so there's no telling if there was any legal action filed already. Probably not, because it's so recent.

It's really something, Palm actually charged a fee to use the devices they sold as advertising tools and used as Hess said:
    ...a privacy policy, which covers their *** fairly well regarding all this, without going into details or making clear that the above data is being uploaded.
    To try and cover their butts.

But once the lawsuit is over and there will be one I'm sure, we'll see the courts likely won't take to this game of putting whatever in a statement and the company thinking they are in the clear because of that. Companies have be slapped before for similar. Just because it's in a statement that users clicked yes to, does not necessarily mean it will hold up in court. I'm thinking Palm will take yet another court room loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I don't pay this site, so for what they provide in information services. I have no problem with them knowing the few things they gather. It does not come close to what your Pre is telling Palm about you. This web site would need a court order to get my exact location via the IP address they obtained, but Palm knows your location, no court order needed.

This web site knows my e-mail address, because that was an openly requested piece of data I agreed to give them. You didn't really "know" Palm was gathering what they gather from you. I have yet to see someone who says they read Palms statements all in full and really knew before Hess announced it, that Palm was getting the data they get from your Pre.

This web site knows the browser I use, although I could mask it (just like I could mask my IP and use a throw away e-mail account), but I know all web sites gather this. Among other things, I build web sites, so it does not bother me. I know everything this site gathers, I gather the same at my own.

Now given I know what this site gathers and my own experience in doing the exact same type of work, I know what Palm gathers from your Pre goes beyond what happens at this web site. And, you paid Palm to do it.
    Ok, so it is GP. Good luck with your campaign on this important issue.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234